• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The future of Comair? Shut down???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just heard that the CVG Chief Pilot S.B. just told a recurrent class that if the Delta/Northwest merger goes through, then Comair will be shut down. Any verification of this. Also heard that hiring has stopped and attrition will, at least for the short term, prevent furloughes, even in light of the 14 50 seaters being parked.

I used to work there, and still know of a few old friends I think are still there. Just wondering if what I heard is true.

Guys getting crapped upon is bad enough, but speculating about "doom and gloom" what-ifs is unneccessary.

If a DAL/NWA merger goes through, I see a bleak future for CVG. With MSP & DTW, Cincinnati becomes rather redundant.

I'm not entirely sure that Comair would be dead though. Comair is still the leanest DCI carrier.

I see four possibilities, one is the operation is shut down, two is spun off(sold/ipo),three is merged and four is status quo with fewer 50s and more 70/76 seaters.

Shutting it down doesn't make much sense to me since money can be made by selling it off. Maybe not much in it's present state, but nevertheless. On the other hand, the operation may be of greater value by trading in 50 seaters for MD90s for the mainline or parting off the airline and just keeping the ground handling. I don't think that will happen, but it is a possibility

Spinning off the airline in a sale or IPO is a real possibility. They could sell CMR "as is", or in order to maximize the value of the asset for sale they may start putting the lipstick on the pig. Ditch the 50 seaters and load up on the 70 and 76 seat aircraft. The 50s are done, the 70 and 76 seaters for the most part will be the future of RJ feed.

Merger is another possibility. I'm not too up on the Compass operation or NWA's relationship with its feed carriers, but a CMR merger with an existing NWA feed carrier might make sense. Getting rid of redundant management, and loading up the operation with 70/76 seat CRJs and EMB175s. The new operation could also fetch a healthy price if it were sold off.

Status quo, is also a possibility. It might just make more sense to keep it as a WO feeder and adjust the fleet mix. Fewer RJs but larger RJs. It is the simplest approach

Truly it is all speculative on my part, however I just don't see much value from shutting CMR down versus the other three options. JMHO

I think the sad news is that Delta has contracts with SkyWest (& probably Republic, possibly JetExpress) for certain levels of service that Delta can not now breach.

Would Comair have to be sacrificed? The answer is possibly yes and I think we have already seen this with the CRJ700's which were transferred to ASA to ensure compliance with the asset purchase agreement.

I doubt Delta wants to harm a part of their Company, but the conflicting contracts may give them no choice.

As far as selling Comair, I do not know who would buy given the circumstances.... Skywest maybe, but I do not see the market getting excited about an IPO and the Eagle sale seems to be on a similar trajectory.

Last edited:
Listen guys, I hate to see this happen to ComAir. However, most of those 50 seaters they have are going to end up in China... just as fast as DAL can sell them over there.

If there is a DAL merger with someone, I dont see Comair just shutting down. They could shrink like alot of the DAL connection carriers and if CVG base was eliminated I could see Comair just shift the base to JFK and maybe open a BOS base. But for Comair to be just shutdown 100%, I cant see that really happening

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back