Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Phaedrus

Agent-CEO Smith:
Why, Mr. Pilot, why? Why? Why do you do it? Why? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something, for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know?
Is it professionalism, or work rule changes, perhaps the opportunity to work until you die? Could it be for money? Illusions, Mr. Pilot, vagaries of perception, temporary constructs of a feeble aviator intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Fare-trix itself. Although... Only a pilot's mind can invent something as insipid as ALPA.
You must be able to see it, Mr. Pilot, you must know it by now. You can't win, it is pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Pilot, why, why do you persist?

F/O-Neo:
Because I choose to.

Because I like to fly airplanes and consider myself one of the luckiest guys in the world to have really lived out a childhood fantasy. How many people get up and can not wait to go to work? Then get paid to do something you really like. I got out for five years, and came back because this is the career for me. What do I do in my free time? I hang around airports, airplanes and pilots and talk about flying and airplanes. Has it been easy, maybe not, but what in life is easy? Looking back I would change very little other than investments. What other reason do you need?

Me too Yip! That's why I like that dialogue so much. The answer is so simple yet so profound.
It probably hasn't been easy for any of us. Yet we overcome, readjust, dig in, keep trying. Why? Because we choose to.

Flying brown crap all over the world is just a job for me ... nothing more. It pays the bills and allows me to pursue hobbies *WHICH* I do enjoy. The time off affords an opportunity with your family most 9-5 working stiffs envy.

The best I can honestly say is that I don't mind flying. As much as my seniority will allow, I bid trips with good layovers (Honolulu, Sydney, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc..,) If I achieve my financial target for retirement tomorrow I'd be out of here yesterday.

The only true "joy" I've felt in aviation was while flying in the USAF. The jets are flown much more aggressively and I found the whole nature of the diverse missions far more challenging/rewarding. To me, 121 flying is boring. A 1000' stabilized approach requirement definitely makes for a safer operation (supported by FDR data) but turns all approaches into a slight variation of a straight-in ILS ... no overheads, no tactical approaches, no formation, no low-levels, no air refueling, no landings at airports that "don't exist" ... just drone for hours followed by a snoozer of an ILS. I comply because I don't own the brown airplane I'm flying and the owner has the right to dictate how he wants his jets operated. Quite simple really.

I'm rather pragmatic in my view of flying nowadays. It simply pays the bills and affords me time with my family, friends and gives me the opportunity to pursue hobbies.

To each his own I guess. If you guys are truly eager to go to work each day and that work compensates you adequately, then you are "blessed" (I'm not a particularly spiritual guy, but couldn't think of another word that fit better.)

R/

BBB

BBB: I agree with your take on mil v. 121. However, there are still times when I'm flying that I look out of the window and just grin from ear to ear about the sunrise/set, full moon, awesome lightning show in the distance, etc. I think we're closer on perspective than you'd imagine. I still say that this job is better than working for a living.
Peace, and be wild.

Last edited:
Had a wonderful career flying most corporate jets and airliners. I was thinking today about the interview with United in 1966 and how happy I am they did not hire me. I would have missed out on some of the most interesting flying and learning how to handle situations without dispatch being involved.

I loved every challenge and know going the hard route made me a better pilot. The one time I was flying from MIA to BAQ and BAQ and the alternate went below minimums at the same time and the company radio didn't respond it just made life easier because we got the Panama City weather and went there on our own telling Columbia if they could contact our company thats where we would be in 45 minutes.

Common sense fixes almost everything when the computer system shuts down. That is how it is done all the time flying the old way.

I can't imagine doing anything else for a living. I'm sure commercial flying (if I get the call I'm waiting for) will be even less interesting than lumbering the P-3 around, but that's okay. There is something very freeing about being up there.

During an interview, I was asked what I liked most about flying. Before I even had a chance to think about it I blurted out, "Take-offs and landings." Why? It's not rocket science and it's not the Olympics. But a takes brains and finesse that a lot of folks can't put together (no coupled auto-pilot on my planes). Mabye an engine-out PAR down to mins is why I do it. I'm not really sure.

I just know I never want to do anything else.

Big Beer Belly said:
The time off affords an opportunity with your family most 9-5 working stiffs envy.

YGBSM,
I'm sure at Brown your schedule is pretty decent (maybe that's why everyone wants to work there or FedEx these days), but I don't think the typical pax carrier pilot schedule would make too many working stiffs envious these days (at least not those with families). I know all of my 9-5 working stiff friends think I'm nuts for following this career. Then again, most of my military buds still on active duty are envious. Probably a case of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. Either that or aircrew just aren't happy unless b1tching about something....

Last edited:
Even if you love your job, you have to earn a living. This isn't fantasy land.

Even if you love your job, you have to earn a living. This isn't fantasy land.

Thanks Jack Handy. :) I can't remember anyone saying that you don't have to earn a living. Enjoying it, on the other hand, is what seems to make the difference.

Latest resources

Back