The end of jumpseating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BRA said:
I am with colgan and express jet left me at the gate the other day. Said my company needs to be CASS. Watched the airplane push out. Never got to speak to the captain, only the gate agent. It was getting close to push time and I didn't want to delay anything. So according to my experience this thread has some truth, unless the gate agent was misinformed?

Email me any specifics and I will track it down. [email protected] The CASS issue is a moot point since we are not in CASS yet. You should of had no problem however even if it was full since your employment with COLGAN can be verified via SONIC. Another uninformed gate agent.

Steve McKnight
Express Jet
JS chairman

I work for a non CASS airline. If our pilots starting getting denied in the back then this is gonna be a nasty J/S war. If one of our pilots gets denied riding in the cabin then you can bet the company they were not allowed to ride on will not get on my jumpseat. Flight deck or cabin seat!

C210

C210drvr said:
If our pilots starting getting denied in the back then this is gonna be a nasty J/S war. If one of our pilots gets denied riding in the cabin then you can bet the company they were not allowed to ride on will not get on my jumpseat. Flight deck or cabin seat!C210

Dear God,

PLEASE tell me you are not in command. If you took the time to read this thread, you'd see one instance in which a gate agent improperly denied boarding to a pilot. It so happens the airlines jumpseat coordinator frequents this board and offered to investigate. Now if the rest of us mature, intelligent adults were to follow your thirteen year-old, emotional, knee-jerk reaction, we would deny the next Express Jet pilot who attempted to ride. "nasty jump seat war"?! Are you for real?

Here's the deal: This premise behind this thread is a stupid, unsubstantied rumor. The lazy pilot who started it should have called or e-mailed his or her JS coordinator for the truth instead of posting flame-bait. You are an idiot for taking the flame bait, and so am I for taking you task. Threatening some sort of jumpseat war is immature, unprofessional, inapropriate and misinformed.

My advice to you is to contact your airline's pro standards folks and share with them your vision of petty, misplaced retribution. Maybe they'll straighten you out.

LJDRVR said:
Dear God,

PLEASE tell me you are not in command. If you took the time to read this thread, you'd see one instance in which a gate agent improperly denied boarding to a pilot. It so happens the airlines jumpseat coordinator frequents this board and offered to investigate. Now if the rest of us mature, intelligent adults were to follow your thirteen year-old, emotional, knee-jerk reaction, we would deny the next Express Jet pilot who attempted to ride. "nasty jump seat war"?! Are you for real?

Here's the deal: This premise behind this thread is a stupid, unsubstantied rumor. The lazy pilot who started it should have called or e-mailed his or her JS coordinator for the truth instead of posting flame-bait. You are an idiot for taking the flame bait, and so am I for taking you task. Threatening some sort of jumpseat war is immature, unprofessional, inapropriate and misinformed.

My advice to you is to contact your airline's pro standards folks and share with them your vision of petty, misplaced retribution. Maybe they'll straighten you out.

You're not listening to what the man said.

He responded to my question:

WILL THE PILOTS OF NON-CASS CARRIERS STILL BE ALLOWED TO BE CABIN RIDERS FOR JUMPSEAT PURPOSES?

His response was, if a CASS company denies a NON-CASS company pilot a cabin jumpseat the NON-CASS pilots will respond in kind by denying rides to pilots of said carrier.

I still haven't had my question answered.

WILL NON-CASS PILOTS STILL BE ALLOWED CABIN RIDER PRIVILEGES?

I.E. if a pilot from a non-CASS carrier tries to ride on SWA (who will be a CASS participant) will he be denied a seat in the back?

LegacyDriver said:
You're not listening to what the man said.

He responded to my question:

WILL THE PILOTS OF NON-CASS CARRIERS STILL BE ALLOWED TO BE CABIN RIDERS FOR JUMPSEAT PURPOSES?

His response was, if a CASS company denies a NON-CASS company pilot a cabin jumpseat the NON-CASS pilots will respond in kind by denying rides to pilots of said carrier.

I still haven't had my question answered.

WILL NON-CASS PILOTS STILL BE ALLOWED CABIN RIDER PRIVILEGES?

I.E. if a pilot from a non-CASS carrier tries to ride on SWA (who will be a CASS participant) will he be denied a seat in the back?

Apparently NW pilots have been telling guys this. A friend of mine said he rode on them about a month ago and the captain said if you weren't in CASS by August 1 or Sept. 1, I believe it was, you will not be allowed to even occupy a cabin seat. This will create jumpseat wars, I'm afraid, if non CASS carriers will not be allowed to ride in cabin jumpseats on NW or whichever CASS carriers take part in this type of activity.

This is going to get really ugly. Stupid TSA going and making life tougher on flight crews again. WE MUST get this bogus agency under control.

The thing thats even sadder is that we are all in the job for the same reason, just different companies. Anyone who commutes knows how much it sucks to miss another night with the family as you watch a plane with plenty of open seats pull away from the gate becuase of politics. Its hard enough now without this stupid CASS system. We should all be trying to help EACH OTHER out rather then talking about jumpseat wars and denied boarding just becuase your bitter. My god. . . get over yourself! Your a real hero man, keep a guy or gal away from family with their precious time off.

LegacyDriver said:

No, at least on SWA. You will be added as a cabin-only jumpseater. I believe this is true on other carriers, but I am only familiar with what has happened to me on SWA.

Latest resources

Back