• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The END of CVG for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Long time, no CVG... when did DHL leave?

I doubt Delta will de-hub, CVG. Like The General said, they're just playing hardball. Could also be that they are planning to close the mtc hangers there. So much mx outsourcing now... if you think pilots are the only ones taking it up the rear, look around. Aside from line maintenance, just about everything done to Delta planes is outsourced now... mostly to foreign countries.

John Pennekamp said:
Long time, no CVG... when did DHL leave?

I doubt Delta will de-hub, CVG. Like The General said, they're just playing hardball. Could also be that they are planning to close the mtc hangers there. So much mx outsourcing now... if you think pilots are the only ones taking it up the rear, look around. Aside from line maintenance, just about everything done to Delta planes is outsourced now... mostly to foreign countries.

I am not sure that Delta is outsourcing everything........I counted 27 airplanes at the TOC in ATL just yesterday! Looked like heavy mx to me...

“CVG is not big enough for a LCC hub” The wisdom from G. Lee is outstanding! Take a look at the population numbers for the greater CVG area and compare them to other city’s that have a LCC that are using the airport as a hub.

Try to think a moment before showing your wisdom.

EMBPILOT1 said:
Look no further than STL for that irrational thinking. STL has a nice new runway that cost millions upon millions that now sees very little if any action.

I landed on that new runway the day it opened, heard the following conversation.

Some RJ, (can't remember who): "You know, this new runway gives us a really long taxi."

Tower: "Yeah, we know, but we spent the money on it so we have to use it."

jrav8tor said:
I am not sure that Delta is outsourcing everything........I counted 27 airplanes at the TOC in ATL just yesterday! Looked like heavy mx to me...

Looks can be decieving!

Delta is outsourcing heavy maintenance on its own planes and insourcing other airlines. The MD88s go to Guadalahara and the 75/76 go to Canada. Don't know about the 73 or 77. Most of the planes at the JetBase (TOC) are line maintenance.

If the rumored merging of Delta and Northwest happens. CVG is a goner. DTW will pick up all the slack.

Bebop, cool avatar! I don't see Delta dehubbing at cvg. But if they merge...?

General Lee said:
No, this a way to negotiate. CVG doesn't want to lose another major player like DHL. They are even building another runway. It would all go to waste, and there isn't enough O&D traffic to support a local hub for a LCC. Hardball negotiations I guess. DL is doing the same thing with LAX right now for terminal 5.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Don't count on it General, look at what happened at RDU, BNA, MCI, PIT, and on and on. CVG is a lousy location for a hub city anyway, as you pointed out not enough O&D traffic.

I wouldn't be surprised is CVG becomes a "focus city" for DAL as PIT has become for US and MEM will become for NWA. Sound like Ray Neidl don't I ;-)

Latest resources

Back