the dream gone forever?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dream Job?

Mariah Carey's lotion boy! Oh wait, this thread was about flying airplanes, nevermind. Forgive me I haven't been here for a week. Airline Dream Job? That ended for me when Pan Am shut down in 91'. I should have quit then but I still had hope.

I have discovered that my QOC has been so much better without an airline to think about. I could even smoke a large one if I wanted to but I don't even know where to buy it. :cool:

Love ya, mean it!

ATA stopped flying April 3 2008.

So did I.

I'd rather be home and see my wife and kids than chase some flying job all over the world. Lots of people going to India and Japan and Korea. Good for them (no, really!!) but that ain't for me. I don't want to be gone for 2 months, then home 1, no matter WHAT it pays. My kids cried when they saw that suitcase and pilot case come out before trips. "Kids get over that", you say??? Well, why should they have to go through it in the first place, I say.

To each his own, if you want to keep chasing that airline job, then good luck to you, and I hope you get it.

Keep in mind - FedEx just dropped their guarantee to 66 hours didn't they?? Aren't they overstaffed now with the 72 retirements being stepped up??? Didn't they end up NOT getting that Europe mail contract, and now no Paris domicile??? Can't get people to go to HKG??? UPS taking over ASTAR flying???

I don't even think cargo is the place to be these days.

Nope, I have come to terms with this myself, and I am fine with it. We all have our limits, and I have reached mine.

Good luck to you though........

ATA stopped flying April 3 2008.

So did I.

I'd rather be home and see my wife and kids than chase some flying job all over the world. Lots of people going to India and Japan and Korea. Good for them (no, really!!) but that ain't for me. I don't want to be gone for 2 months, then home 1, no matter WHAT it pays. My kids cried when they saw that suitcase and pilot case come out before trips. "Kids get over that", you say??? Well, why should they have to go through it in the first place, I say.

To each his own, if you want to keep chasing that airline job, then good luck to you, and I hope you get it.

Keep in mind - FedEx just dropped their guarantee to 66 hours didn't they?? Aren't they overstaffed now with the 72 retirements being stepped up??? Didn't they end up NOT getting that Europe mail contract, and now no Paris domicile??? Can't get people to go to HKG??? UPS taking over ASTAR flying???

I don't even think cargo is the place to be these days.

Nope, I have come to terms with this myself, and I am fine with it. We all have our limits, and I have reached mine.

Good luck to you though........

God Bless you. Not many guys of your caliber my friend. I agree with 100% of what you said.

As my anxiety increased to find stability, I started seriously looking into Vietnam & Dubai. The more I perused these avenues the more anxiety I experienced due to the fact I'd be moving. I woke up one day and thought, what the heii am I doing? Dubai & Vietnam weren't in the cards 18 years ago when I started playing this game. I've had shots at the two top companies and was shot down. I gave them everything I had. It killed me as equal counterparts got hired. Finally got on with a LCC and taking it in the a$$ now with all the instability and low pay. Fortunately, I made a killing in real estate and it's my ticket out. Time is of the essence to make the retirement dream come true & I'm not going to fail at this one. The only logical way to make it happen is to get out of aviation and invest in our successful family business. The aviation dream today is a myth, and a waste of time... Unless your one of the lucky ones. I'm not a betting man when it comes to retirement. I'm putting my time into something else & that dream is alive. I've had enough of this BS man. Enough

By the way... I hate waiting for those dang hotel vans

I have been considering trying the move up to a major for a while. But my biggest concern in interviewing anywhere is figuring out how to convince them I have any enthusiasm left at all. I mean, is there really anything left to be a cause of enthusiasm? I think part of me would want to reach out and punch one of the interviewers just for expecting me to fake such utter nonsense. That would probably be bad.

Quite interesting the mental perspective...

We think of the good ol days.... as well... good. Were they?

I posit that too many of us recall how great we thought this career was..... not how it really was....

There are guys at the aviation colleges paying hugh amounts of money. They believe that all the stereotypes about this job... still exist... the days off, the money, the sexy FA's etc....

And that is what we recall.

In the good ol days the chief pilot decided how close one must live to the domicle. There was no commuting. Pilots moved often with the summer and winter seasons. There were always furloughs. And guys like EL Cord and Lorenzo...

https://crewroom.alpa.org/DesktopMo...sView.aspx?itemid=899&ModuleId=1274&Tabid=251

Many pilots simply don't know the history of this job. It was never fantastic... or as wonderful was we want to believe... We just want to think that way about the past... romanticize it, etc... And of course we look negatively on the future... because it is an unknown....

Still living the dream

PS: Don't worry, Yip will chime in here fairly soon and tell you this is still the greatest career in the world.
Only if you have wanted to be a pilot since you first saw an airplane, if you are in it for pay..........disappointed (see below)

In today's world, you can go from no experience, no education, and no money to regional jet first officer in less than two years. The flight academies in Florida have made this possible. This has oversaturated the market increasing supply thus reducing demand. This has caused our pay to plummit. There are other factors also like our seniority system. I see a lot of pilots out of work in the next few years. The one's still working will not be able to improve working conditions due to all the pilots on the street waiting to take their jobs. Thus the cycle will continue.

Latest resources

Back