• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The dreaded SSSS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He used a min. of 20 wipes ... camera, computer, mp3, etc. ... all cables for said devices ... shoes and a couple of new ones for me ... actually took my electric razon out and swiped it and the cord in addition to my contact saline solution bottle, and toothpaste. All while standing there in uniform. :rolleyes:

Finished repacking my stuff about 10 minutes prior to departure.

Absolutely the worst experience ever.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Ridiculous. Sometimes you get somebody cool, sometimes you get a Gomer like this guy who thinks the TSA is best darned job in the universe and takes great pleasure in seeing how many bomb wipes he can use on your junk.

I love it when some poor unsuspecting bastard who doesn't know what the SSSS is gets up there and the overzealous TSA agent practically screams "secondary!" to all of the other agents behind him. You see the color drain from the guys face and they get that guilty look even though they have done nothing wrong.

Guess that's the world we live in today. Thanks a lot terrorists.

I was in AUS a couple of weeks ago sitting at the gate waiting for the flight to board and a group of 5 TSA agents, all old/handicapped/beer gutts hangin out came walking down the concourse with table on wheels and their metal detecting wands in hand.

They walked up to the gate area set up shop near a support column and began randomly grabbing people from their seats while waiting in the gate area to board for additional random screening.

They were wanding this one guy and he looked scared sh!tless.

When they finally approached me and said "sir are you on this flight", I said, "NO". They looked at each other and you could see the brain cells popping. The lead beer gut then asked me "Will you please stand up for additional screening" I again said " no sir I will not, I have already been thru security". They did not know what to do, and they moved on to the next guy.

I was in AUS a couple of weeks ago sitting at the gate waiting for the flight to board and a group of 5 TSA agents, all old/handicapped/beer gutts hangin out came walking down the concourse with table on wheels and their metal detecting wands in hand.

They walked up to the gate area set up shop near a support column and began randomly grabbing people from their seats while waiting in the gate area to board for additional random screening.

They were wanding this one guy and he looked scared sh!tless.

When they finally approached me and said "sir are you on this flight", I said, "NO". They looked at each other and you could see the brain cells popping. The lead beer gut then asked me "Will you please stand up for additional screening" I again said " no sir I will not, I have already been thru security". They did not know what to do, and they moved on to the next guy.

Are you kidding? You're saying this is AFTER you had already been through the security line? WTF? Good for you that you stood your ground.

Here is an attitude adjustment: we should all love the TSA, and, the more SSSS the better! The worse airline-traveling gets, the better for fractional ops. which means profitability and pay raises for us (eventually):beer:.

Last edited:
The same thing happens to me on US Airways, with United being my FF#. I always seem to get SSSS'd even though I have flown them a ton of times now. I'm even considering flying a bunch of their legs on my US Airways FF# until the SSSS stops, but I'd lose too much mileage consolidation. I haven't been asking CSRs to get the stupid things removed, ever since all those company memos making it sound like some sort of big 'finable' felony or something.

Most SSSS cavity searches have been quick and painless- even quicker than the regular line in some places since you get pulled aside (CMH and its bias against the hometown team being the exception- I guess the rumor is that the TSA guy in charge once was some dork who got fired by NJA and so he bears a grudge?) But when you do get the toothpaste cap bozo, the biggest pain is not having them bust your bag's zippers when they repack sloppily. I try to persuade them to just dump it all in the empty tray and let me repack from scratch.

The Clear program doesn't do anything for SSSSing does it? I assume the only thing it does is allow for an express line, the equivalent (often the same line as) as a crew/employee line.

Latest resources

Back