The dreaded SSSS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

-FlyAuburn-

Once again I pull my boarding pass out of the self service kiosk and quickly start searching for it. And once again I find myself staring at the dreaded SSSS. It's like when you were a kid and you opened a present on your birthday and see a dinosaur sweater your grandma knitted for you versus that cool toy you had really wanted.

Most of the airline ticket agents are very good about getting it removed from the boarding pass of us NJ pilots, but only if you ask politely and only if they are in a good mood. If they are having a crappy day or just happen to be one of the few that won't do it (even though their colleague did it a couple of weeks back for the same airline) then you are probably screwed. Last tour I was told by a US Scareways ticket agent, "We don't do that anymore, the rules have changed." Yeah right lady, translation: You don't feel like it. At least the gentleman that did the cavity search etc. was a nice guy in a good mood.

Today I had better lucked with Continental. I guess they weren't aware of the "new" rules. You never can tell just based on the look of the ticket agent. This particular lady looked quite militant and pissed off yet in about 1 minute flat she handed me a new boarding pass with no SSSS without any hassle.

Somebody needs to do some politicking somewhere and get us fractional pilots on the "list". I know we are ticketed passengers but I disagree with the previous posts about our uniform and crew ID meaning nothing. It means a lot. It means we have passed stringent background checks and fingerprinting, and are by and large every bit as "security worthy" as any "real" airline crew.

I think the issue is that the general public and the government are slow to realize the changes that have taken place in GA and the size and scale of companies like NJ. We are an airline, and a very large one at that. We have enough to deal with leaving our families and being away for a week at a time. The last thing any of us should have to deal with is having to stand in a glass box with an airline pilot uniform on while the rest of the world walks buy wondering what the hell a pilot is having to "spreadem" for.

Anyway, I know there have been other posts on this subject but that is just my two cents.

FWIW - I haven't seen a SSSS in months, perhaps a couple of years. It seems the only time I've seen this is if I printed my boarding pass without my FF number having been added to the reservation.

Two issues with the clear program from what I know:
1. Not that many airports in the system.
2. Cost

I don't know much more about it because my home airport (PDX) doesn't have it. I'm not even sure if you just present the card and go, or if you still get security screened anyway.

Yeah, the SSSS go away as you fly, I still get them on the "oddball" airline that I don't fly on much, like US Air, while I never see them on ones I use regularly. I don't even ask them to take them off, it takes more time that the quick pat down. (Except the time the bomb sniffer went off after they wiped my bag, that took a few minutes more, they never did figure out why it kept going off.)

Does your company put your FF number on the reservation ahead of time or do you do it when you check in?

Does your company put your FF number on the reservation ahead of time or do you do it when you check in?

95% of the time our logistics people get the number onto the reservation. The other 5% I'll add it when I check in. WN seems to be the one standout, not sure why. Our logistics people have all my FF / rewards numbers.

Me too. The SSSS printed in bold type on my pass from the automated mechanical ticket agent's slot.

I proudly went to the security checkpoint and proceeded to get frisked by a man with an 9th grade education and I was treated like a five year old who was caught stealing candy.

Thank God for the TSA. Can you tell it is a government run operation.

It reminds me of really fancy drapes.

Window dressing my friends, window dressing.

Just my opinion, Still happy to be here.;)

Somebody needs to do some politicking somewhere and get us fractional pilots on the "list". I know we are ticketed passengers but I disagree with the previous posts about our uniform and crew ID meaning nothing. It means a lot. It means we have passed stringent background checks and fingerprinting, and are by and large every bit as "security worthy" as any "real" airline crew.

I think the issue is that the general public and the government are slow to realize the changes that have taken place in GA and the size and scale of companies like NJ. We are an airline, and a very large one at that. We have enough to deal with leaving our families and being away for a week at a time. The last thing any of us should have to deal with is having to stand in a glass box with an airline pilot uniform on while the rest of the world walks buy wondering what the hell a pilot is having to "spreadem" for.

Anyway, I know there have been other posts on this subject but that is just my two cents.

Not trying to start a pi$$ing match, I used to fly for a fractional (Kind of) am currently flying for a major, and hope to be flying for a frac in the somewhat near future.

First off, offer it to one company, others are going to want similar treatment. What about the defence contract workers who travel weekly/monthly who have high level security clearances? Law enforcement folks who travel on non-job related business? Military personnel?

The other point, gotta pay to play. Seems like corporate flt depts, charter co's, and fractionals squak when the airlines want them to pitch in for user fees/aka, ATC, taxes and security fees. You want the perks...shell out the cash.

$.02

insanity SSSS

I airlined to EWR without the cavity search. After landing in EWR before I'm even off the plane I get a new brief with airline rework. I go to the first GATE agent I see and get a new boarding pass. Guess what... SSSS. But I dont catch it until on the shuttle from terminal A to C (still on the secure side of TSA). I go to a CSR and they say airline is airline and tsa is tsa. I had to go back to security! I figure they are just going to sign the thing... They start giving me the cavity search while they are confused about how I came from the secure side of the terminal. WTF

Latest resources

Back