• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Death of Sky King?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Receiving reports that Sky King is down to 3 airplanes (from 10 last spring), and that Falcon has offered to purchase the remnants out of bankruptcy.

Soon Lukenbill era might be seen as the "good old days"......Blessings to those caught in the mess (if I am hearing correctly).

I worked for all the different executives, including Lukenbill. I will tell you unequivocally, that while Lukenbill was wild to work with sometimes, he was by far the best of the execs. The current leader appears to be nothing more than a shyster, who does not understand the concept of a win-win relationship. Furthermore, it appears that he is driven by personal inadequacies in his decision making, thus all the firings and back stabbing due to people not being politically "clean". I think if you note, the people who fall in disfavor at Sky King are people who will actually stand up and put forth intellectual disagreement, unlike the current Chief Pilot who simply does the bidding and does not support the pilots. Although, history has demonstrated in the FV regime, no one stays around for long, as eventually FV becomes paranoid about them too. It is very hard to understand why anyone would think they are secure in the 5k organization and support FV. Lukenbill would argue like hell, call you names that would make a sailor blush, scream and shout, but in the end, he never held a grudge and respected arguments put forth from fact and intellect. Not that he was above going around you and calling pilots, mechanics and vendors directly to get his way. Most of the time though, he would do the right thing.

In short, you are right, the good old days were with Lukenbill. All very sad. One man's opinion, if 5k isn't dead soon, it will only ever be a shell of its former self. Organizations built on fear and paranoia are not nice places to work, and my guess is that is the make up of 5k these days.

Good Luck and if there is anything I can do to help you guys I will.

+1!!!

Disgusted with the lack of integrity and common decency that permeates LAL.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the less I wind up hearing from Butt-Boy and his Man-Bitch the better off I am.

I hope the employees (whoever is left) do well in the future. The working environment from what I'm hearing is approaching Medieval, which is too bad.

The previous post holders weren't sadistic sociopaths and the company, while not perfect , was at least a friendly place to work. They would have worked out the kinks and in my opinion, the company would probably be viable right now, instead of on life support.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20130207/NEWS/130209486?tc=cr

LAKELAND | Sky King Airlines, the charter jet service that operates in Lakeland, was fined $500,000 today for violating rules that protect passengers when their public charter flights are abruptly canceled, the federal Department of Transportation reported.

The fine was related to Direct Air's abrupt cancellation of flights, which included service to Lakeland Linder Regional Airport, on March 12 last year. Sky King provided planes, pilots and crews to Direct Air.

“Airline passengers should be able to book charter flights with the confidence that they will be returned home on time,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement.

“DOT will continue to protect the rights of airline consumers and take enforcement action against airlines and charter operators when those rights are violated.”

The discount airline filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a few days after the cancellation of flights. Direct Air officials blamed “rising fuel costs and other operating expenses.” Now, a Direct Air bankruptcy liquidation is pending before a U.S. bankruptcy court.

In September, Sky King filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization. It was the second time in two years that Sky King has filed for bankruptcy. It came out of its first reorganization effort in June 2011.

At the time, company president Frank Visconti blamed Direct Air for the bankruptcy filing.

Sky King provided planes, pilots and crews to Direct Air, and Visconti said his company is owed nearly $1 million dollars for that service.

Sky King moved some of its offices from California to Lakeland in 2010. It employs a total of 235 people, with about 50 of them in an 8,480-square-foot space at Lakeland Linder.

Xtra got fined 300k for the same thing. I think that they are on a payment plan so it didn't kill the airline. I am sure skyking will do the same. I can't believe that the contract airlines are responsible for the passengers when they are not the ones running the show.

Updated article:

Sky King did receive a bit of good news on Thursday. Gene Conrad, Lakeland Linder airport director, forwarded a press release he received from the company that shows it has secured financing.

"The private investment consortium providing the financing is represented by Dr. Daniel Carson, an experienced aviation executive and entrepreneur," the press release stated.

"Sky King and the investment group have not announced plans for the company but are certain the airline will put forth a formal plan of reorganization in the near future."

Sky King moved some of its offices from California to Lakeland in 2010. It employed 235 people, including about 50 in an 8,480-square-foot space at Lakeland Linder. It's unclear how many employees work at Sky King now. Visconti did not return a phone message.

The company continues to operate out of Lakeland. Conrad said Sky King flies three planes from Miami to Cuba on a regular basis.

Updated article:

Sky King did receive a bit of good news on Thursday. Gene Conrad, Lakeland Linder airport director, forwarded a press release he received from the company that shows it has secured financing.

"The private investment consortium providing the financing is represented by Dr. Daniel Carson, an experienced aviation executive and entrepreneur," the press release stated.

"Sky King and the investment group have not announced plans for the company but are certain the airline will put forth a formal plan of reorganization in the near future."

Sky King moved some of its offices from California to Lakeland in 2010. It employed 235 people, including about 50 in an 8,480-square-foot space at Lakeland Linder. It's unclear how many employees work at Sky King now. Visconti did not return a phone message.

The company continues to operate out of Lakeland. Conrad said Sky King flies three planes from Miami to Cuba on a regular basis.

I wouldn't bet the farm on this deal. I hear rumors that FV has run out this press release a little early just to sooth very worried creditors, employees and customers.

I am hoping for the sake of the few good people (very few) that this deal is real. It would seem that if this deal happens it is going to get VERY interesting for the current management team. Polish up those resumes.

Latest resources

Back