The Death of Sky King?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DUATS

Receiving reports that Sky King is down to 3 airplanes (from 10 last spring), and that Falcon has offered to purchase the remnants out of bankruptcy.

Soon Lukenbill era might be seen as the "good old days"......Blessings to those caught in the mess (if I am hearing correctly).

I heard the same from a friend in MIA. Honestly dont know what FALCON wants to do with 5K since they dont have any assets any more (maybe 73 certificate?) But who knows...
I wish the best to those still working there. 5K had some great people there

Great. Falcon was ONE MONTH LATE on new hire perdiem most recently, with complaints made to the Department of Labor.

My sympathy to the LINE EMPLOYEES still there. A really nice bunch of people.

rumor is that ICE who Falcon does some flying for wants all of its contractors to be in a 737 by 2014. the MD80 doesn't met all of their needs

rumor is that ICE who Falcon does some flying for wants all of its contractors to be in a 737 by 2014. the MD80 doesn't met all of their needs

Why is that, do you know?
Is it because of cargo considerations?
Efficiency?

In that case 5K does not own there 73s, and Falcon can easily get there own 737s. Dint they fly 73s some time back?

6F and 5K

Its always easier to buy a cert with the equipment you want than to change the equip (approval) on the cert you have.....

not sure why as I do not know the performance of the MD80 that well all I know is that some of the longer trips on to shorter runways they can't do whereas a 737 can.
FYI Xtra is for sale. For 10 million you can own an airline that leases all its planes, buildings and office furniture. And a 737 certificate.

I was a dxer for RD, back when we had the ICE contract with MD-82s & MD-83. They would send an 82 from AEX-EWR-HRL-AEX. Fully loaded, with no extra, no c-fuel, etc.; we still had to bump 3-5 pax every flight. Since this wasn't a scheduled flight, we had to add an alternate (usually, BRO, CRP, or MFE).

The planes we had were MD-82's (MTOW 149.5 / MLW 130.0) The MD-83's were (MTOW 160.0 / MLW 150.0), ex-Alaska birds.

Again, all of this is from the RD perspective (2011-2012)

Latest resources

Back