• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Stanky

Pay me what you used to.
From the JB message board:

Sep 13, 2009 7:42 pm Post subject: The Continued Screwing of the Midex Pilots Here's an ALPA Fastread from the Midwest MEC. For those of you that don't know, Republic was hired to fly "Connection" service for Midwest and offered such a cost savings over the mainline fleet that they eventually ended up taking over everything. The Midwest pilots will all be gone by December, replaced with $85/hr captains and $37/hr FO's flying a mix of e170s and e190s. They ended up buying Midex, but seem to be uninterested in merging senority lists.

There's a lot of really good, really experienced guys there, I've never met a classier group, and there careers are ending. Who do you think is next?

MEA Merger Committee Update

By Capt. Don Till, Chairman

Last week, the MEA Merger Committee requested and received a list of seven arbitrators from the NMB. When we asked the Republic pilots to participate in selecting an arbitrator, they refused, responding that the RAH pilots would not participate in this process until “ALL AFFECTED PARTIES” (i..e., Frontier, Midwest, Mokulele, and Republic pilots) are involved. The fact is that, as of today, the only party affected is the Midwest pilots.

Republic’s plans for Mokulele are unclear. In March 2009, RAH gained 50% interest in Mokulele, and increased that interest to 55% in May. Yet there appears to have been no operational integration of Republic’s and Mokulele’s operations in Hawaii. RAH increased its ownership to 89% in July, but again, there has been no operational integration implemented or announced and both the Republic pilots and the Mokulele pilots have yet to be affected by control.

Additionally, the Frontier pilots contend that they will remain separate, claiming that Republic CEO Bryan Bedford has maintained that this is also his goal. This is consistent with Article 9, § 9.01 (a) of the August 13, 2009, second amended and restated investment agreement between RAH and the Frontier entities which provides that, once Frontier emerges from reorganization and RAH takes over ownership:

“Subject to the provisions of the Railway Labor Act, upon the Closing, the Investor will (i) be bound by the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between Frontier Airlines and the Frontier Airlines Pilots Association as amended and in effect as of the Closing (the “FAPA CBA”), (ii) recognize Frontier Airlines Pilots Association as the representative of Frontier Airlines pilots and (iii) assume employment of such pilots represented by the Frontier Pilots Association. Upon and after the Closing, the Company shall continue to be responsible for implementing and carrying out its obligations under the FAPA CBA.”

This provision in the RAH-Frontier investment agreement appears to be in breach of the IBT's agreement with Republic which states:

Article 1. D.

3. The Company, Subsidiary of the Company, the Company’s Parent or Subsidiary of the Parent shall not establish any new airline (alter ego or otherwise) or acquire a controlling interest in any carrier whether directly or through the Parent or another Subsidiary of the Parent, and maintain it as a separate carrier. A “Controlling Interest” or “Control” means the ownership of an equity interest representing more than fifty percent (50%) of the outstanding capital stock of an entity or voting securities representing more than fifty percent (50%) of the total voting power of outstanding securities then entitled to vote generally in the election of such entity’s board of directors or other governing body.

Recently, I received a letter from the Republic pilots informing us that, “The Teamsters are filing a Grievance against Republic Airways Holdings for the violation of our scope, in respect to the LOA which has been ratified between it, Frontier Airlines, and FAPA.”

Unfortunately, the Midwest pilot group is aware of just how long this process can take. Furthermore, we have no idea which party will prevail.. Meanwhile, in reviewing the Republic pilots’ CBA more closely, RAH’s actions in replacing Midwest’s flying with Republic’s equipment and pilots is in violation of the IBT contract:

H.5.

c. The operations of the Company and those of the other air carrier shall be kept separate unless and until the processes described in paragraph b above is completed and the seniority lists of the two pilot groups are integrated in accordance with Sections 3 and 13 of the Allegheny-Mohawk Labor Protective Provisions are completed. During such time of separate operations, neither aircraft nor pilots shall be interchanged without the Union’s written consent.

After the Republic pilots rejected our request to work together to choose an arbitrator and begin the process, we determined that it was in our pilot group’s best interest to move forward. Your Merger Committee—along with our outside merger counsel, John O’Brien Clarke of Highsaw, Mahoney, and Clarke—chose Mr. Frederic R. Horowitz as the arbitrator. He has agreed to hear our arbitration and we expect our first meeting the week of September 21, 2009. While we continue to make every effort to engage the Republic pilots in working with us, be assured that we are taking every legal action necessary to keep this process moving forward.

In related news, our outside merger counsel received a response from the Republic pilots’ merger counsel regarding our proposed seniority integration procedure agreement and replied on our behalf. These two documents have been posted on the MEC website.

This is a publication of the Air Line Pilots Association, MEA Council 30.

Are the Midwest 717 pilots likely to be attractive to AirTran (given their extensive 717 operating experience) once AirTran starts to hire again? I realize nobody senior ever likes to start again at the bottom but... Just wondering. I hope they get picked up somewhere.

I don't know how "attractive" they could be, considering the Midwest MEC put out a statement (when Airtran was attempting a buyout) they were not interested in a Merger with Airtran, and fully supported their fearless leader Hoeksema and his band of merry men.

I'm pretty sure this was all duly noted by the poobahs at Airtran.

Last edited:
Dude, for the 115,000 time, It was the $17 cash offer that the share holders took, we had no say, most of us would have loved to be bought by Airtran...jeees

I have a feeling that the ATN MEC would be more than happy to push the company to give preferential hiring for former MEA pilots.

I understand why the IBT would rather integrate all lists at one time. It saves time, money, and could have major advantages for members of some pilot groups. Example, if Midwest were integrated today with a relative seniority formula (25% at Midwest to 25% on combined list), and then Frontier was integrated with a 1:2 ratio in six months, the Midwest pilots would end up worse off than if they were granted relative seniority on the overall final combined list.

That said, I fully support Midwest's attempts to keep the integration process moving. IBT may have a nice plan, but Bedford's contract violation tactics are obviously slowing the IBT plan. Midwest guys deserve closure so that they can move on with their lives and either stay or leave.

As for that ALPA post, RAH did not make the 717's go away. If Midwest mangement had chosen to replace the 717's, or to simply pay up and keep their existing fleet, then there would never have been a need to contract with RAH. I don't know about backroom management dealings, but I do think there is a lot less conspiracy in this world than we tend to believe. RAH was contracted to replace LOST (or soon to be lost via ended leases with Boeing) airframes, not to replace airframes that would otherwise have stayed in service. Where was the fuss when Midwest brought Skywest onboard to fly some routes?

Where was the fuss when Midwest brought Skywest onboard to fly some routes?

Midwest didn't fly MSN-MKE and routes as such. The E170 is playing as a mainline replacement, not as a replacement for the formal Skyway routes. RAH is pretty much eliminating Midwest.

Meanwhile there's RAH FO's salivating at the upgrade opportunities....

One pilot's growth is another pilot's job.

Dude, for the 115,000 time, It was the $17 cash offer that the share holders took, we had no say, most of us would have loved to be bought by Airtran...jeees

As I recall it was not only the Midwest MEC espousing this, but the MKE press, rank and file pilots, check airmen who worked in the same facility down in ATL. There was a general rallying cry by Hoeksema to "keep Midwest our Midwest", save the cookie, blah blah blah and most if not all the troops bought into it. The mgmt. at FL are known to be a vindictive group and have long memories. The airline bizness is a fickle bizness, your last copilot might be your next chief pilot, so conduct yourself accordingly.

Latest resources

Back