The choice of my life

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta3

I guess i can go to aviation college. Probabbly my uncle could help me. And regarding flight training ?

jgore :)

I completely understand where you are coming from however in aviation sometimes you settle for a little less than the best at some point- The only thing that I was saying was look into the military route inside and out before you completely disregard it - A C-5 would be a very nice piece of equipment to be flying and even though the wages are not "impressive" as you have stated by talking to that captain on the bright side of the rainbow also consider that ALL his training was paid for which most likely saved him thousands, and he is flying a pretty impressive bird that the airlines seem to like when they hire pilots...... I don't know enough about your govt to make an assumption however I would leave no rock unturned and look into it from every angle

Whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck- You may want to consider aviation grants, loans, work study programs, exchange programs and even scholarships that you may be able to secure due to the situation that you are in...- I will attempt to see about a few web sites that may be of interest to you

ALWAYS remember that I F there IS a WILL then there IS a WAY to make it happen and whatever you do keep at it-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

Patience

There is an old joke:

A young bull and an old bull stand on a hill overlooking a herd of cows. The young bull, snorting and stamping says:

"Lets run down there and get us a cow!!!"

The old bull looks slowly over to the young one and says:

"Let's walk down there and get us all of them."

At 19, you have plenty of time to explore your options. First and foremost, absolutely positively get a college degree. A degree in math will carry a lot of weight.

Considering what I am paying to fund my son's education, I am astounded that it is free in Argentinaa. Jump on that with both feet. A college education will open many doors that will be closed in its absence, regardless of your pilot credentials. Also, when you do (and you will) interview for the airline job you desire, the college degree will be a competitive edge. A math degree will defeat a law or medical degree at the interview.

While you study, seek every opportunity to fly. Get a job fueling or washing airplanes. Meet people. They will help, just as we are trying to help with our responses to your question. Aviation is a family.

Explore every option; civil and military. Find and apply for any and every scholarship and loan you can locate. Spend every free moment searching for a source of funding for your pilot training. At the same time, pursue legal immigration status to the US.

If you are unable to complete your pilot training by the time you complete your education, your education will enable you to find a decent job in the US. Live with your relatives in CA and pay them room and board. Spend everything that is left over on pilot training. Or secure a loan.

By age 25 you will be marketable; leaving you 35 years as an airline pilot.

Never give up, never lose sight of the goal. Good luck, and welcome to the famliy.

Last edited:
Javier all these are good ideas. Talk with your uncle, about the aviation college, and look into the U.S. military. Take all the oppurtunities that you come across and explore them to the fullest. Go after your dream by what ever methods necessary to secure it. Never lose sight of the dream. Weigh the options find whats best for you. The best may not be a necessity, so long as you get there.

Good luck to you,
J.

I like the idea of the free math degree. A great basis for aviation study.

You have time on your side. Go to college.

You can learn a tremendous amount before you ever get in a plane. With a good job, and four years of math and self taught ground school, you will be fully prepared to ace your flight training.

Good luck.

Jgore

I would strongly recomend the military, look into it. You have to look at it with a positive attitude. There may be a possibility that it could get better.
Go to the local airport. Try to meet people that way; you might run into someone that has an airplane and you can offer to wash the airplane for flight hours. I would also try to go to the local flight school and try to do the same thing.
You have to explore all possibilities; you are young.
Most importantly, never give up. Keep trying!
Good luck!

Javier,

Formal flight training can be difficult no matter where you are. However, in your neck of the woods, local pilots are hired almost exclusively. You don't see gringo pilots or expats doing most of the flying; it's either local native talent, or talent from the area.

Get to know people with aircraft who can give you the opening you need. It may mean going to work for a crop dusting outfit, loading chemical or flagging fields. It may mean going to work as a mechanic or mechanic's assistant for a charter operator.

Find someone who has an airplane and who will help you out in exchange for your services. You may even be able to do this while attending a traditional college.

The hundred dollar an hour charges you mentioned are very typical of charges here in the United States, too. That's still a lot less expensive than many parts of the world. Given your financial circumstances, I would suggest getting help from the inside. Get to know someone with an airplane. I was in a similiar boat to you once; the only way I was able to learn to fly was a lot of hard work for people with an airplane over several years.

Dime con quien andas, y te diere quien eres. Si quere sera un piloto, tiene que ud. andar con pilotos. Buscarse los opportunidades volar cerca que se vive, sino que no tiene viajar a las distancias grandes para hallar volando. Bueno Suerte!

avbug said:

Dime con quien andas, y te diere quien eres. Si quere sera un piloto, tiene que ud. andar con pilotos. Buscarse los opportunidades volar cerca que se vive, sino que no tiene viajar a las distancias grandes para hallar volando. Bueno Suerte!

Hey avbug,

As is mostly the case your advice is excellent, but your Spanish is atrocious. <BSEG> Noble effort though, I'm sure Javier will get the message.

Regards,

PS: Ever fly anything with the R-4360?

Last edited:
jgore,

First, you seem to have a very good grasp of the English language. That is usually a huge problem for foreign students.

Second, you will need a university degree (Bachelor's) to get you a job in the U.S. A lot of people in the U.S., like myself, had to earn to pay for college *and* flight training. If you can get a 4 year degree in your home country for free, DO IT. Take courses year round and just finish it in 2-3 yrs if you can.

Since you have relatives in Clovis, Calif., if they are willing to let you stay with them, you already have your foot in the door.

Now the tricky part. Earning the money to pay for flying. I recommend you look into what type of labor the U.S. is importing. I think the big thing now is nurses and pharmacists. Study to become a nurse and you will get a visa to come work in the U.S. That way you will come to the U.S. with a job in hand and a method to pay for your flight training. You might not even need to live with your uncle and aunt.

This is no secret. People have been doing it for decades and when labor is in short supply, the U.S. imports it. It was software engineers a few years ago but not anymore. There are cycles for this stuff and you just need to find out what is needed.

None of this is going to happen overnight. I recommend you take advantage of a free university education and start right away. While you working on that, you can explore your other options.

You are only 19. Start work on your degree right away. There has to be a subject that you would study second to aviation. Physics? Engineering? Economics? computer science?

Your motivation to fly should help you do the work and get your degree because ultimately you will need it.

Surplus,

My Spanish is a bastardized mixup of old high school classes, and living with various ethnic entities and nationalities. Imagine a Puerto Rican trying to do Castellano, if you will. If you think the grammar and spelling is bad, you should hear the accent. Something like Joey Buttafuco meets Ricardo Montalban.

The only thing I've been associated with that had a 4360 was the C-97. It was a great engine, for a museum. Working one with any degree of reliability, however, was a nightmare. Jug changes and engine fires were regular things. A jug change on something like the R-2600 was a cakewalk compared to getting to one on the 4360. No room to work, and unlike a single or twin row radial, it's packed in there solidly. Unless it's a front row cylinder, kiss your evening and night goodby.

When everything is running right, though, the 4360 is a smooth engine; no power pulses and very little vibration. Did you operate the corncob?

Latest resources

Back