Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hugh Jorgan said:
Seriously, ask for Pensacola.

You are correct. Pensacola is the place to go. I had an Air Force student get his wings without ever going to Air Force Pilot training.

80drvr said:

You are correct. Pensacola is the place to go. I had an Air Force student get his wings without ever going to Air Force Pilot training.

Yeah, I knew a guy like that and he was well into being a 1LT by the time he finally got winged. Maybe things have changed but as of two years ago the Navy route was a much slower process. Pensacola is obviously a better location than Enid/Columbus/Del Rio but it will take you twice as long to get through and I assume your goal is to get to that fighter as soon as possible. I experienced both...the Air Force for T-37's and the Navy for T-44's... the Air Force runs a much more efficient operation. Just something to think about.

I have to agree with Albie, all work and no play is not the way to make it through the tough year of UPT. Your wife will appreciate having the option to do more while you are busy studying. That being said, Sheppard has a lot more to offer at ~100k vs ~35k at the other bases. I don't know how much F16fixer got out during mx school, but as a previous ENJJPT student (and being stuck at every UPT base in the T-38), I would have to say you will have a lot more fun on the weekends at Sheppard. I don't know where you live now, but you'll be surprised at how much you take for granted if you end up at Columbus, Laughlin or Vance which is where I have been a T-38 IP for 3+ yrs. Getting a Chili's was big news for months here, and last I checked Columbus and Laughlin still don't have one. Of course we don't have a Wendy's, an Olive Garden, Red Lobster....you get the point. We only had a 2 screen movie theater till about a year ago!

As for the training I think it is a wash at Columbus, Laughlin or Vance, but I would give the edge to Sheppard where you will get to fly with NATO IPs, the fighter experience is higher (less FAIPS), and you get more total sorties with emphasis added on 4 ship and advanced formation. You may not have to move for IFF.

As for Pensacola, it is a fun town with lots to do, but tack on up to six extra months for the 'same' training after which you will have to move to one of the other 4 bases which may be a pain for the family (and maybe again for IFF if you don't get Sheppard). You will also show up to T-38s behind the T-37 students in EPs, Stand Ups, and AF regs.

Any way you cut it, you are going to be getting paid to fly jets!

Apologize for the overkill!!

Sman,
I'm sure you could and will make the most of it if you go to Sheppard, the only thing I was trying to say is if really have a choice and you can go some where like Florida I would probably jump on it. I work with a lot of guys that tell me they had a blast there. I guess just remember why your going in the first place and be grateful for getting the chance. Thanks again for all your advice you've given to me.

It sounds like Sheppard would be a great option for UPT. Are the class sizes typically smaller then the other UPT bases since they are handing out fighters/bombers? If so, how much smaller? I understand that the usual class size at the other UPT bases are 20-30 students, correct?

Also, it seems like the competition would be tougher among students for class rank, etc. since it's tough to get chosen for ENJJPT and "supposedly" higher quality candidates are the ones selected to go there?

SMan

another thing to think about

Training in the Navy is much more laid back than the AF......Having experienced both T-37's with AF and T-44 with Navy..........With this said, it will be a huge culture shock going from Navy training to AF training.....I seriously would consider staying AF, it'll get you in the right frame of mind for your training years...those years can be pretty tought and you might as well bite the bullet and focus on it now....(I dont' know about you, but a perfect sunny day in Florida, with Fort Walton Beach just down the road...hmmm, I doubt you would find me studying...) Not to mention if you show up to the next school, which is AF, and act like you do when training in the Navy, you'll get jacked up so far you won't know what hit you........I'd just start out AF and train AF......besides, stories I've heard about the T-34 (I believe that's what it is...).....Now, of course if you were going Navy, it would be a completly differnent story..

The previous post about learning the AF way is right on...........The Navy tells you what you can't do...The AF loves to tell you every little thing you can...The regs in the AF are a zillion times larger than that in the Navy....I would get started now on learning them.......lol.....that is if you can read and understand lawyer talk.....I tell you, if they could hire a private company to sort through all of them and re-write them, they would be half the size.....( If A exsists, and B doesn't, but if C exsists and B exsits then Z, but if C exsists and B doesn't, but A exsits, then T, but if T exsits and A exsists then just forget it.....) now if you understood that you'll do just fine.......LOL....

I'm a little curious. In the mid 80's I got a pilot slot in the Navy and promptly got the NAMI WHAMI (Navy speak for not physically qualified).

Anyway, back then training was in T-34, T-6, TA-4. But the Air Force was completely different, at different bases. My question is why do the Navy train Air Force Pilots? Do they get Carrier qualed?

Just curious and good luck for you all.

I went to Laughlin, and if I had it to do over again, I'd try to go to any base that isn't in Del Rio! The town is small and dirty, the border town (Acuna) is filthy, and the Corona club and Ma Crosby's gets old quick. San Antonio is a good 3 hour drive away, and its so full of Air Force that picking up women out there is challenging at best (which is why my friends and I started driving the extra hour to Austin).

If I were you, I'd try to go to Moody AFB in Valdosta, GA. My brother is stationed out there, and the area is very nice. Its a college town right across the border from Florida and some good spring break spots, and Atlanta and Jacksonville are both within relatively easy driving distance. They also fly the T-6 out there (sweet plane), and they are getting the T-38C (glass cockpit upgreade).

Steven

Do all students fly T-6's out of Moody or just a few and the rest fly T-37's?

SMan

Do all students fly T-6's out of Moody or just a few and the rest fly T-37's?

Moody has only T-6s for UPT Phase I and AT-38s for IFF.

Latest resources

Back