• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The best UPT base?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd give a vote for Laughlin. I originally wanted Columbus, because I had spent most of my life in the southeast, but going to Laughlin was a unique experience.

It's very hot, but also usually pretty dry. I'd prefer the 110 degree dry heat in Texas to the 98 degree humid heat here in Alabama. Watching the news at night over there, I think that was the first time I saw a heat index LOWER than the actual temperature. Anyways, San Antonio is a great little town, but then again, I was married and the single guys did have it tough looking for a date. Mexico was fun, but don't expect Taco Bell-style food over there. It's different, no doubt.

The thing with Laughlin is you have to look around to find the fun spots....right about when you leave, you discover them all. And if you like outdoors stuff, there's plenty of that too. Big Bend NP is pretty awesome (avoid in the summer....very hot), and the Hill Country is cool too. After all my belly aching about not getting Columbus, I think back and I'm glad I didn't go to a base that's about 100 miles from every other place I've ever lived (Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, etc). Now I'm back in Alabama and I can't wait to go somewhere else....I'd honestly rather be back in Del Rio, location-wise, but I wouldn't ever trade my C-21 job for a T-1 FAIP!

Latest resources

Back