• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Bashing Begins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I am glad Mark or Mike what's his nuts a former corporate pilot just cleared up how sub standard and $hity are training is in the regional industry!!! Funny my initial sim instructor at ExpressJet wrote flight safety's light twin and Kingair training program.

the overall trend was too great to not notice.
This is the truth. Too bad nothing will be done about it. You CAN'T buy experience in this industry. Nothing can take the place of years and years of growing and gaining valuable flying experience in all types of situations. I cringe when I see 19 year old FO's in the right seat with 13 hours of Multi and 252 hours total. It's just not right.
But sadly, when "the folks" demand $149 round trip from JFK to LAX, the entire industry suffers.
Lots of blame to go around. I would rather work on fixing the problem. Increase hiring requirements. Not as easy as it sounds though.

If what I'm hearing is true, it makes me want to bash my head against a wall. 5 failures? I don't care who you are, that is a disturbing trend. The FAA won't change anything, for doing so will be admitting that their minimums aren't good enough after all.

so i guess a dr who inadvertently kills someone shoudlnt be allowed to practice-- how may times have the wrong limbs been amputated?

and a lawyer who allows a guilty man free and a not guilty man jailed should be disbarred?

and tilton who loses billions shoulde be fired?

GMAFB.

SKIPPY

Good piont, but no. If a Doctor screws the pooch, only ONE person dies. If we screw up, usually, everybody dies!

It will be interesting to see how ALPA handles this....The experience level has been ignored for far too long....

28 December 1978 - United Airlines Flight 173; a flight simulator instructor Captain allowed his Douglas DC-8 to run out of fuel while investigating a landing gear problem.

Eastern Air Lines Flight 401 near Miami, Florida on December 29, 1972. The pilot, co-pilot, and Flight Engineer had become fixated on a faulty landing gear light and had failed to realize that the autopilot had disconnected

31 August 1988 - Delta Air Lines Flight 1141 crashed on takeoff after the crew forgot to deploy the flaps

American Airlines Flight 1420 in Little Rock, 1 June 1999

All of these accidents were blamed on pilot error, all of them at the majors and with pilots with lots and lots of experience.

My point is that it is really easy to criticize dead pilots and the decisions they made or did not make from the comfort of a computer. (not my intention by posting the above stats) No matter how much experience a pilot has, anyone can have a sh*itty day. Unfortunately in our profession a bad day at the office can mean the lives of dozens or hundreds of people.

All that being said, I would rather fly with someone who has more experience flying than someone with very little. It would appear that complacency and inexperience likely played a roll in the Colgan crash and it likely should have been averted. However, all of us have had discussions below 10,000 ft. All of us have been distracted at one time or another. (though likely not to the point in this incident)

Hopefully this incident is something we can all learn from. Hopefully training will improve to prevent these sorts of things from happening and maybe our standards for pilot hiring will improve.

God speed to the families of the victims and the pilots.

Latest resources

Back