The Arbitration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EdTeachLives!

I have a question for the AAA pilots out there. That means the AAA pilots: not Whiskey, HP, + rate, TWA dude, Grog or DP. With all due respect, let them answer and step back from the computer for this one.

What specifically about the list and the award is it that is unfair in your opinions or has been presented to the Executive Board as such.

Please also explain how your attrition at AAA has been addressed by the arbitrator.

It has been suggested more often than not that the AWA side was handed "the winning lottery ticket". As it appears the list went roughly by relative seniority, I am curious about those claims and the present appeals to national.

Ed

Last edited:
I have a question for the AAA pilots out there. That means the AAA pilots: not Whiskey, HP, + rate, TWA dude, Grog or DP. With all due respect, let them answer and step back from the computer for this one.

What specifically about the list and the award is it that is unfair in your opinions or has been presented to the Executive Board as such.

Please also explain how your attrition at AAA has been addressed by the arbitrator.

It has been suggested more often than not that the AWA side was handed "the winning lottery ticket". As it appears the list went roughly by relative seniority, I am curious about those claims and the present appeals to national.

Ed

The East brought the massive amounts of retirements to the table, and the arbitrator did not consider this at all. Some type of fence should have been put in place for this.

Also the furloughees should been considered in some way. 1800 on furlough is too many just to brush under the carpet, which is exactly what he did.

If I came back as a furloughee, the west should have been protected so my return did not damage them.

He did a relative position integration, with no consideration of anything else, except the east widebodies for 4 years.

Many east retirements result in a clear windfall for the west, which is in direct violation of ALPA Merger Policy.

DW
DOH - 1988
Furloughed

Thanks DW.

One more question. Were there any active pilots that were not furloughed from the late 80's that were placed behind west pilots?

Ed

The East brought the massive amounts of retirements to the table, and the arbitrator did not consider this at all. Some type of fence should have been put in place for this.

Also the furloughees should been considered in some way. 1800 on furlough is too many just to brush under the carpet, which is exactly what he did.

If I came back as a furloughee, the west should have been protected so my return did not damage them.

He did a relative position integration, with no consideration of anything else, except the east widebodies for 4 years.

Many east retirements result in a clear windfall for the west, which is in direct violation of ALPA Merger Policy.

DW
DOH - 1988
Furloughed

My only question for the east guys is this....If this was such a concern then why wasn't that in your original argument to the arbitrator? Why did you continually try for date of hire which is a staple job to half the america west pilots? Even after the arbitrator said that was not going to work you continued for date of hire. The list is fair. Even with no fences the amount of attrition will put the america west pilots right where they would have been before the merger. Upgrade around 7 years. For the past two years there has been no movement at all on the west side while the east has been recalling. The list is fair and it will stick. As far as the furloughed pilots go. Furloughed is furloughed. I do feel bad for these pilots that had 18 years and were on the street, but that is due to the failing us airways prior to the merger. They came into the merger with no job. Dave odell was active and flying and there for he had something to offer. A seat. Not the hope of a seat as the furloughed pilots had. Alll that Prater and the big wigs at alpa are doing is giving the east pilots time to cool off before they say what they can do, which is give the list to parker. They have no choice. That is why it is called BINDING ARBITRATION! The east piots wanted this and they got what they asked for. Nicolau is 80 something years old and knows what he is doing. It is not like he made this decision overnight. He put hundreds of hours into listening to both sides and he came up with the most fair list. Now we need to move on and get a ta that benefits both sides of the company. Otherwise the comany wins.

My only question for the east guys is this....If this was such a concern then why wasn't that in your original argument to the arbitrator? Why did you continually try for date of hire which is a staple job to half the america west pilots? Even after the arbitrator said that was not going to work you continued for date of hire. The list is fair. Even with no fences the amount of attrition will put the america west pilots right where they would have been before the merger. Upgrade around 7 years. For the past two years there has been no movement at all on the west side while the east has been recalling. The list is fair and it will stick. As far as the furloughed pilots go. Furloughed is furloughed. I do feel bad for these pilots that had 18 years and were on the street, but that is due to the failing us airways prior to the merger. They came into the merger with no job. Dave odell was active and flying and there for he had something to offer. A seat. Not the hope of a seat as the furloughed pilots had. Alll that Prater and the big wigs at alpa are doing is giving the east pilots time to cool off before they say what they can do, which is give the list to parker. They have no choice. That is why it is called BINDING ARBITRATION! The east piots wanted this and they got what they asked for. Nicolau is 80 something years old and knows what he is doing. It is not like he made this decision overnight. He put hundreds of hours into listening to both sides and he came up with the most fair list. Now we need to move on and get a ta that benefits both sides of the company. Otherwise the comany wins.

I think this post was to the east, to ask a question. Not to start another debate. We've done enough of that.

This is going to be a long battle. I wish you all the best.

I think this post was to the east, to ask a question. Not to start another debate. We've done enough of that.

This is going to be a long battle. I wish you all the best.

the battle is over Dogwood. the bitching has just begun.

Green and Abe,

You both couldn't just shut up and color could you. Try sitting on your hands this time. You don't need to be stirring the crap just to make it stink. The AAA POV was all that was asked for so when you can't control yourselves like this all it does destroy your crediblity and hurt your case.

Ed

the battle is over Dogwood. the bitching has just begun.

No, the battle will be fought every day between the east and west, just like the north and south has for the last 20 years since the Pied / USAir Merger.

This arbitration deal is nothing compared to the future debates that are in your future. The MEC meeting rooms will be split on every issue.

My suggestion is for everybody to stay in their original crew bases, and life will be much better.

In fact the new MEC should vote in a new base freeze for the next 8 years.

DW

AAA side was blinded by greed...and as usually happens to those folks, they got blindsided. The blame for this is solely, and singularly on the MEC of AAA. Decertify ALPA if you want, it won't change anything.

I have a few questions for AAA guys ONLY:

1) What were your expectations for your furloughees? In other words, where did you expect they would land in the integration? Bear in mind, they are not employed - they only have a right to be called back. Do you place them above active pilots?

2) Where do you put a "junior" reserve narrowbody FO who just happened to have a DOH of 1988?

3) You said East offers "retirements." How do you figure bringing retirements to the table is relevant especially in light of people hired in the late 1980's only being reserve narrowbody FO's because that is all they could hold?
How would you address that in the integration? Bear in mind, you have to be fair to West side as well - no windfall.

I'm really curious about specifics. What does AAA group want? Again, you have to be fair to your West counterparts too. DOH merger means a windfall for the East - today "junior" narrowbody reserve FO is tomorrow's senior captain. Is that not a windfall?

I don't have any affiliations with either America West or USAirways or any commuters associated with any of them. I am trying to understand the logic that East guys are following.

I'd also like to only hear from the East side guys ONLY.

Latest resources

Back