• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
US House of Representatives today will unveil legislation that, if passed, will require more stringent screening and training for pilots flying commercial aircraft. The Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009 is being introduced by bipartisan leadership of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure and the subcommittee on aviation including James Oberstar (D-Minn.), John Mica (R-Fla.), Jerry Costello (D-Ill.) and Thomas Petri (R-Wis.). The proposed law follows a series of Congressional hearings on the February crash of a Colgan Air Q400 that killed 50. A committee spokesperson told ATWOnline yesterday that in addition to improving training and screening for would-be commercial pilots, it would implement recommendations from the National Transportation Safety Board (ATWOnline, June 25).

by Sandra Arnoult

This could be good or bad depending on how it is handled...Tougher requirements would be good.....

Sad that congress has to step in and do the job the FAA has refused to do for decades. Yes this can be good or bad (or both), but I think this also should serve as a wake up call to congress and others in government that the FAA is failing in its duties. Congress should not have to act on this if the FAA actually cared about safety.

It certainly would require airlines to appeal to the best and the brightest, MONEY, BETTER WORK RULES. If they can't replace the experienced, educated and competent pilot with somone who just really really wants to fly and has deep pockets to retrain for every certificate, then improvements in our industry are on the way. In my short time in 121 world, I've seen too many sharp folks get pushed into other, more rewarding careers (yes i'm back in school as well). Safety should be placed above all else, but we'll see.

Sad that congress has to step in and do the job the FAA has refused to do for decades. Yes this can be good or bad (or both), but I think this also should serve as a wake up call to congress and others in government that the FAA is failing in its duties. Congress should not have to act on this if the FAA actually cared about safety.

I never expect much from the Federal govt....What's really sad is that ALPA has never pushed for this.....

The problem is that feds, POI's ect. have their own career and progression to worry about. They don't want to stir things up and get labeled as a trouble maker, so to speak. It's an ugly beast. I can think of a few occasions where I had a fed in the jump, showed him my 6 leg/13.5 hr duty day pairing, and got the reaction you would expect. Anything come out of it? NO.

I never expect much from the Federal govt....What's really sad is that ALPA has never pushed for this.....

Alpa has too many little fights going on to worry about big things that can have a positive affect on the entire profession.

Well maybe the Gov't will start to bailout careers to ensure that they will have willing people to go into careers that require higher education and specialized training. With the healh care concerns clinics are saying there are not enough primary care doctors anymore becuase the compensation is not as it once was, so the Gov't ideas is to help repay those future primary care doctors student loans and maybe supplement some extra pay so they will stay as primary doctors..If this happens, then what happens when there are not enough qualified pilots to fly the planes since we all know how much compensation has been lost in this career and now to add to that there will be tougher standards for new airline pilots who where looking to get into this career. Then what about the police officers who say its not worth risking my life for 60k a yr anymore or the teachers who say with so many cutbacks now and having to teach with twice as many kids in the class room say its not worth it anymore for 50k a year..Will they bailout those careers and help repay those student loans ??

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back