Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So your solution is to just throw in the towel. Does the job not command the respect or did we give it away. Does the job not command the salaries or did we give it away. Give me your solution where looking professional is a detrament.

Looking professional is very important, I'm not quite sure where I said it wasn't. The problem is that you people keep tying professionalism to wearing a hat. The hat is a uniform PIECE. It is one part of the uniform. I guess that you cannot look professional ever unless you are wearing a WWII era headpiece?

I think United crews look very professional in their uniform without their hats. I think Delta crews, while they do look sharp, look silly dressed up like Louis XIV when they walk up to their MD-88.

And no passengers don't care. They will not book tickets on Delta more often because of their uniform, and if they at any point felt "more comfortable" for the split second they saw who they thought was the Captain of the RMS Lisituania walk up to the gate, that flew out the door when they flew for 3 hours on peanuts and pretzels with Atlanta based FAs.

Last edited:
I've never understood the Captain Stubing look for pilots anyway. Like the rest of commercial aviation, it's stuck in paradigms that may have been important decades ago, but have no real bearing on the operations of today's system.

You're an highly trained, experienced, professional equipment operator, pure and simple. Do nuclear reactor operators, air traffic controllers, or locomotive engineers wear military style epaulets and hats? Didn't think so.

The uniform (and hat in particular) is ridiculous and constitutes yet another unnecessary expense.

The uniform and hat were adopted by military tradition, if im not mistaken...

I think we would all do well to not worry about the archaic hat tradition. Instead how about we just iron a shirt and take the polyester into the cleaners once in a while. A decent pair of shoes and a good fitting uniform are more of a professional pride item in my book.....

ps, do we really have to listen to our ipod while walking through the terminal (usually accompanied by a North Face backpack) in uniform?

And maybe we can all get on the treadmill and start knocking out some situps and pullups-
you can put a hat on a pig....But....

I worked for an airline that changed the hat policy to "hats optional". It was awesome because you could tell immediatley who the contol freaks were by who kept wearing the hat. My beef with the hat is they are so darn uncomfortable. Why can't someone make a hat that doesn't have a hard leather head band that fits nobody and is lined with plastic so it traps all your head it in and causes you sweat like a pig?

Looking professional is very important, I'm not quite sure where I said it wasn't. The problem is that you people keep tying professionalism to wearing a hat. The hat is a uniform PIECE. It is one part of the uniform. I guess that you cannot look professional ever unless you are wearing a WWII era headpiece?
No, you keep thinking the suggestion to wear the hat is tied to your professionalism. It is not. The hat is a brand icon and image for the public.

I think United crews look very professional in their uniform without their hats. I think Delta crews, while they do look sharp, look silly dressed up like Louis XIV when they walk up to their MD-88.
It is not about what you think. It never has. Seriously, you are not special. It isn't about you. It is about our perception with those who create our company revenue.

And no passengers don't care.
Why. You are going to have to justify this. Do you have marketing data?

They will not book tickets on Delta more often because of their uniform, and if they at any point felt "more comfortable" for the split second they saw who they thought was the Captain of the RMS Lisituania walk up to the gate, that flew out the door when they flew for 3 hours on peanuts and pretzels with Atlanta based FAs.
The pax might not care bacause they already expect image and professionalism in the price of the ticket.

I've never understood the Captain Stubing look for pilots anyway. Like the rest of commercial aviation, it's stuck in paradigms that may have been important decades ago, but have no real bearing on the operations of today's system.
Why?

You're an highly trained, experienced, professional equipment operator, pure and simple. Do nuclear reactor operators, air traffic controllers, or locomotive engineers wear military style epaulets and hats? Didn't think so.
These professionals are not in the public eye. Again whenever you see marketing and the pilot image it is with a hat.

The uniform (and hat in particular) is ridiculous and constitutes yet another unnecessary expense.
This is your opinion? What is the opinion of the public who buy the tickets.

I worked for an airline that changed the hat policy to "hats optional". It was awesome because you could tell immediatley who the contol freaks were by who kept wearing the hat. My beef with the hat is they are so darn uncomfortable. Why can't someone make a hat that doesn't have a hard leather head band that fits nobody and is lined with plastic so it traps all your head it in and causes you sweat like a pig?
During the 2007-2008 hiring "boom" about 2/3 of the guys at my regional that got hired at the majors wore hats. Of course they didn't wear their hats to the interview.... it was more of the mindset and attitude.

That hat isn't designed to be comfortable. Being a professional isn't either. If it was more people would do it. And we'd be paid less.

Who controls the profession? Management says hats are optional and pilots gleefully react tossing them without a thought... going for the comfort zone. What is next? Neckties? Then what?

Does management control the Air Line Pilot profession? The FAA? The Pax? The ATA? Roger Cohen of the RAA?

Who?

Last edited:

And no passengers don't care. They will not book tickets on Delta more often because of their uniform, and if they at any point felt "more comfortable" for the split second they saw who they thought was the Captain of the RMS Lisituania walk up to the gate, that flew out the door when they flew for 3 hours on peanuts and pretzels with Atlanta based FAs.

No I am not tying ACTING professional with the hat I am saying in my opinion it LOOKS more professional.

As for us United pilots we are the worst looking pilot group out there. (Sorry fellas it's true.) We can have a crew of four (Asia flying) One wearing the traditional overcoat, one wearing the wool over coat, one wearing the spiffy leather jacket, and one wearing the striped jacket. All four are "in uniform" but there is nothing uniform about it. We, and I am speaking of us at UAL, have allowed our image to go to pieces mostly due to our contempt for Glen. As I have said before, in my opinion, when we allow that, he wins.

Peronally, I think the public really does care how the pilots look.. afterall they think you all make 200K a year.. and they put their lives in your hands... better to wear the hat of perception than to come on the flight deck in a tatered greasy T-shirt with a roll of duct tape hanging off your belt loop... Just saying..

It's a profesional job that has always been associated with a sharp uniform.. not unlike many other professions.. you worked for the part, nw your playing the part, look the part.. IMHO of course..

Those are just old and tired responses- pilots were the ones who changed the hat requirement- do you really think mgmt cares about our hats one way or the other- hats aren't representative of a mindset at all- your mindset is representative of your mindset-

if you haven't noticed the business world has changed- you'll see a much different style at every business than you used to- and yes - it is more casual- and that's not necessarily bad- it represents a change in what matters- that competence matters more than the appearance of competence.

That said- wear it all you want- but if you have the need to judge me bc I don't - (which you won't ) that probably won't go well for you

Latest resources

Back