Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those are just old and tired responses- pilots were the ones who changed the hat requirement- do you really think mgmt cares about our hats one way or the other- hats aren't representative of a mindset at all- your mindset is representative of your mindset-
Yes I do think management cares. During the golden age, it was all about instilling a belief that the best pilots were flying because the round motors and other technology wasn't as safe. Pax never have been able to directly judge pilot performance so image is the indicator for pax. Now, with the accident rate down and air travel common place, management cares to devalue our image. The honorable CEO's of the past are long gone, when the pilot image was a valued commodity. Now, CEO's reject that image because it suggest they have to pay for education, responsibility and training. Look at JB and VA. At jb FAs, pilots, gate agents, rampers etc.. are all called crewmembers wrapped up into one employee group. They are all worthy of the same 401k, healthcare and other bennies. At VA they don't really look like pilots as we know it. This is intentional by management to water down the professional stature of pilots, allowing them to pay less.

If pilots can be perceived as a quickly replaceable widget without a professional image, then they won't have to pay as much.

if you haven't noticed the business world has changed- you'll see a much different style at every business than you used to- and yes - it is more casual- and that's not necessarily bad- it represents a change in what matters- that competence matters more than the appearance of competence.
We are not cubical operators. Cubical operators rarely have implications of safety resulting in death.

That said- wear it all you want- but if you have the need to judge me bc I don't - (which you won't ) that probably won't go well for you
There is no judging. Why do the non hatters feel judged? I started this thread with a consideration and provided lucid reasons.

As you've seen the non hatters argument is always from their perspective, their comfort both physically and socially. It is never from the understanding of how the image is perceived from the public's view.

I agree, and personally liked the hat, never doubting that its main purpose was to aid in marketing our service. Since deregulation, the public has adapted to much greater changes in their flying experience than seeing hatless pilots, so this is probably not a big deal, unless we make it one.

A few years ago, our local symphony offered a few "casual concerts", with the musicians wearing blue jeans and golf shirts. After some grumbling, most patrons got used to the idea and ticket sales were brisk. I still prefer the aesthetics of formal attire, but the musicians own the orchestra and they play very well, so "de gustibus non est disputandum". :)

Tom,

What does the muscians wearing the jeans and polo shirts signify? In addition that was a specified 'casual concert'.

Shall we have specified Hawaiian shirt flights? Casual Friday flights...

The point is... why change to not wearing the hat? Because the faishon trend says we are more relaxed and cool?

No one seems to understand this thread. Guys, do NOT go grocery shopping in complete uniform. And there are some that need to be reminded to not wear their ID badge while drinking in the bar in complete uniform.

I'm serious here!

I can't believe you guys are still discussing this!!!

The hat is so very insignificant. The skills that reside just below the hat are what is important!

Personally I am very glad to be rid of the hat, but if it became a required uniform item again I would wear it. If it brakes your heart that hats are going by the wayside then go ahead and wear it with pride. But it is just a superficial (and arhaic) symbol from a bygone era.

Rez,

You're 7 pages deep and not making much progress. We could have done this in two posts.

1. Yours (wear the hat)
2. Mine (YOU weart the hat cause we're not doing it)

Gup

Rez,

You're 7 pages deep and not making much progress. We could have done this in two posts.

1. Yours (wear the hat)
2. Mine (YOU weart the hat cause we're not doing it)

Gup
They way I have my profile configured we are only at three pages. It all depends on how you view it. :)

Curmudgeonly speaking....

The point is... why change to not wearing the hat? Because the faishon trend says we are more relaxed and cool?

I do not favor such a change, especially if negotiating capital must be spent to obtain it. My point was that if such a change is made, the public will quickly adapt to it, just as they have accepted far more serious reductions in the aesthetic traditions of air travel. I wish they would not, but they do. :(

No- I've said it a few times Rez- I believe the traveling public could care less about the hat- esp the FO hat which looks just like a skycap or doorman.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back