Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But if you really think that re-instituting the required bellman hat will automatically increase pay--- we're in trouble ...

I don't think it has anything to do with pay. It's just a matter of professionalism.

Stand next to a gate agent and FA and the pilot idendity is lost. Like it or not.... hat = pilot.

Good point.

So instead of starting trends... stick with tradition, that includes the hat. Look like a pilot get paid like a pilot. Look like a gate agent or FA.....

Who cares!!! Are you so insecure that you can't stand the thought of being misidentified as a FA or gate agent?

I've been told by a few hatters, that because I don't wear a hat someone might mistake me for a Mesa Airlines pilot. My response, "I couldn't care less".

If I show up for work looking like a CEO, will I get CEO pay?

I'm with Rez on the hat, but I agree with you about the leather jacket being a far worse trend. Nobody wants to be hurtled through the air at 80% of the speed of sound in an aluminum tube under the command of......The Fonz.

Agreed, the leather jacket has merit, but in the end, it is counter to our image.

Dude-
you guys are 10 years late to the conversation-

both the hat and the leather jacket trains have left the bldg.

But if you really think that re-instituting the required bellman hat will automatically increase pay--- we're in trouble ...

Well, you are... I'm paid quite nice and can wear my uniform how I want as long as it's sharp

Why did the FedEx pilots, who never wear hats, do so when they picketed?

Why did the CAL pilots wear hats when the demonstrated on Wall Street? (seriously, if they did not, would it have been clear to the pubic [not us but the public] as to what profession they represented?)

Why did the UAL pilots when they picketed HQ this week?

Pilots at LUV don't wear khakis. FAs do. It is easier to tell the difference.

Who cares!!! Are you so insecure that you can't stand the thought of being misidentified as a FA or gate agent?
only in my paycheck. you?

I've been told by a few hatters, that because I don't wear a hat someone might mistake me for a Mesa Airlines pilot. My response, "I couldn't care less".
Then get paid like a mesa pilot. Do you care now?

If I show up for work looking like a CEO, will I get CEO pay?
Would you be able to indicate that you have no soul? Actually, that is what pilots think they are doing... losing the hat to look like MBAs, all while mgnt is skillfully molding our image to look like FAs. We are blue collar labor, not white.

I don't think it has anything to do with pay.
If you are told long enough that you are just a airport worker or something less than you are (battered wife syndrome combined with Stockholm syndrome) you'll start to believe it.....

It's just a matter of professionalism.

Correct. It is too bad that the non hatters don't understand what is professionalism. Take a sampling of pilots and ask them what is professionalism and they will have a very hard time quantifying it. Sure they can emulate it, but they cant define it.

Professionals are self regulating. They don't let outside influences dictate how they behave. The argument for no hat is social and self awareness. It is based on a personal feeling of acceptance by groupthink and personal comfort.

Latest resources

Back