thanks to the co-ex crews in iah

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mookie said:
...not bad if you ask me for a bunch of non-union whores that stole your VCT overnights from underneath you guys.

Mookie

You shouldn't be blaming the pilot group for something they don't have anything to do with. Just like us, they do whatever the head honchos tell them to do.

Captain Overs said:
Is it that hard to properly wear your uniform? I saw a Skywest guy walking through the airport this past winter with his tie not at the top and wearing a sock hat. At first I thought he was going to rob the place.

I may be speaking out of line here, but a little professionalism goes a long way.

Professionalism has to start in house first before pointing at the flaws in other pilot groups. Our pilots (XJT) are not always the most professional looking either if you ask me. I'm not going on a "uniform police" tirade, but I have seen a lot of XJT pilots guilty of more than just what you mentioned above. Like someone said: there are good and bad in every group. I have seen "yellow" (supposedly white) uniform shirts, jeans, dockers, tennis shoes, bootleg pants, low-ride/hip-hugger pants, silver studded belts, etc. We've had our infractions, too.

As far as the waving or nodding or hi thing, I usually try almost everywhere I go when I see a fellow pilot. It amazes me though how few people actually will respond with some gesture or acknowledgement. In IAH, EWR or CLE, I almost never get a response unless it happens to be someone I know. I passed a Colgan crew on the hardstand the other day and waved and got a big smile, wave and "HI" in response.

Fellow pilots aren't the enemy. Line pilots have no say in how the airline operates. That is left to people who make (most of the time) waaaay too much money than we do. I am not going to persecute a guy because of a decision by management. I always take the time to chat a few minutes with a jumpseater unless of course we are running behind and need to get going.

Last edited:
Guys, come on lets get over the "hi" thing already. If I know you or have flown with you I will definatly shake your hand and say "what's up", but I must pass hundreds of pilots everyday and no, I don't say "hi", not because I don't like you, I just don't know you.

Last edited:
rattler said:
Guys, come on lets get over the "hi" thing already. If I know you or have flown with you I will definatly shake your hand and say "what's up", but I must pass hundereds of pilots everyday and no, I don't say "hi", not because I don't like you, I just don't know you.

I wish our HR department did a better job at weeding out individuals like this. Complete stangers that have no common bond at all greet each other all the time, but you won't respond to a fellow aviator because you don't know them? It doesn't matter if the other person is wearing a pilot uniform or not. If someone says hello and you respond with a stare, you will come across as either an a$$ or a complete moron.

"How ya doin?'"

rogerthat said:
I wish our HR department did a better job at weeding out individuals like this. Complete stangers that have no common bond at all greet each other all the time, but you won't respond to a fellow aviator because you don't know them? It doesn't matter if the other person is wearing a pilot uniform or not. If someone says hello and you respond with a stare, you will come across as either an a$$ or a complete moron.

"How ya doin?'"

Dude, If you say "hi" I will say "hi" back even if I don't know you, my point is I am not going to go out of my way to say "hi" to every person I see, this includes pilots. If you seriously greet everybody you pass in the terminal I would think you are the moron.

You are taking this to the extreme so I will also. I have never ignored anyone and I did not imply that I did. If I came across that way it was not my intent. What I was trying to say is simple. Why does it bother you so much that other pilots do not say "hi" to you. Maybe you need some friends.

Last edited:
Paul R. Smith said:
Maybe we like Colgan better because they are not flying our old brasilias for a codeshare that we used to fly only one year prior...Just a thought..

I have nutin against SKYW but that might be why some felt unwelcome in IAH on their end.

The Saab looks great in CAL colors BTW

Skywest didn't fly those 4 pieces of sh*t because they liked the paint job.
They were junk from rotting in ROW for 3 years. Bad weights etc...they
spent more time in the hangar than flying. The contract with CO
stipulated that we fly them. Never made sense that half the airplanes
in IAH were those white elephants.

I personally have had nothing but positive feedback from IAH crews/agents/controllers/rampers etc..., but then again, I've only been here for about 6 months. I pretty sure though that a bunch of our guys did walk the picket line with the Coex guys last year...not bad if you ask me for a bunch of non-union whores that stole your VCT overnights from underneath you guys.

Mookie[/QUOTE]

Do you guys decide and tell CO where you're going to fly and overnight?
I didn't think so.

It's funny, 'cause when I've flown out of MDW or MCO lately, even with my "other" uniform and ID all the SWA, AirTran, and ATA guys I've run into wave and say hello. All of them. Then I get to our hubs, and most people at our own company don't make any eye contact. I feel like a moron, as said above, because here I go nodding and saying hi and the other person just goes by like they are alone in the world. I'm starting to think passengers around me think I'm saying hello to imaginary people!

It's even worse with the CAL guys. But what can you expect, from what people tell me they hate us. :rolleyes: I even had one guy, as I walked by nodded and said "hello" and he stops and goes, "WHAT?" I'm like "uhhhhh, I said hello." He's like "oh" and walked away. Seriously, what's the deal there.

Everyone I've flown with and talked to here is really top notch, no doubt. I guess when you get 2600 strong you lose some of the "community" or something. Oh well, I'll keep saying hi, even if I look like a "moron."

Gotta love flightinfo... One guy posts "hey thanks coex guys" and it turns into three dozen posts of "you stole my flying, don't wear a hat in the terminal, and didn't say hi to me, and besides, you suck".

:D

FlyChicaga said:
It's even worse with the CAL guys. But what can you expect, from what people tell me they hate us. :rolleyes: I even had one guy, as I walked by nodded and said "hello" and he stops and goes, "WHAT?" I'm like "uhhhhh, I said hello." He's like "oh" and walked away. Seriously, what's the deal there.

I have my own personal little game. I say "Hi" and wave to every CAL pilot and every CAL airplane I pass. I see how many times they wave back. Needless to say, it's not much. It doesn't take much to amuse me. What can I say? We're those F'ing kids.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back