Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks Jetblue and Spirit for raising the bar.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would you want ALPA on the property. I can't thnink of a worse way to achieve what you want.

Oh ya. Do you currently work for an ALPA carrier. If so, answer me this one question. Would you drop ALPA and all union representation for your group to let your management and BOD make all your pay, work rule, and compensation decisions unilaterally. If you do work for an ALPA carrier have you gone through a merger lately. If so how would you have liked going through that merger with just your CEO negotiating the deal you as a pilot received post merger. Keeping in mind he has to legally do what is fiduciarily best for the share holders and not the pilots. How would you feel if your work rules changed at anytime randomly via an email from the company vs. a vote from your group and you couldn't do any thing about it. While no one at JB thinks ALPA is perfect I assure you not having any representation no longer works. An in house won't work because we don't have the funding and the company is very hostile towards representation. Ask FedEx how an in house works with a hostile management. The other option is the truckers union. So come work for a carrier with no representation whatsoever and then say that again.

So you tell me smart guy. What is the best way to achieve what we want, because asking management pretty please and doing a survey doesn't cut it anymore.

Btw some of the things I want.
Legal protection - ALPA gives me that day one
Aero Medical - ALPA gives me that day one
Merger Protection - ALPA gives me that day one
A seat at the negotiation table - ALPA gives me that the day my pilot group votes in an MEC.
Loss of medical insurance - ALPA gives me the ability to get that
So I see ALPA as a pretty good way to achieve what I want.

Last edited:
Why would you want ALPA on the property. I can't thnink of a worse way to achieve what you want.

ALPA had its usefulness in the past but really isn't the best option in today world. Any sizable pilot group is more than smart enough to set up its own independent union with more than enough dues to buy all the same resources that ALPA buys. ALPA is nothing more than an expensive middle man with competing interests.

ALPA is a thirsty camel at best and a thousand leaches at worst.

Maybe we can jump up and down and stomp our feet! I'm sure managment "gets it" "this time"... Good things to come, right around the corner... Free beer tomorrow! Don't forget the wide body order... Awsomeness can't be achieved with 3rd party representation! You can't talk to your chief pilot with a union...

That's why every other airline pilot group is voting out their unions for the direct relationship.

Last edited:
ALPA had its usefulness in the past but really isn't the best option in today world. Any sizable pilot group is more than smart enough to set up its own independent union with more than enough dues to buy all the same resources that ALPA buys. ALPA is nothing more than an expensive middle man with competing interests.

ALPA is a thirsty camel at best and a thousand leaches at worst.

That post makes too much sense. You know this is FI right? :laugh:

Oh ya. Do you currently work for an ALPA carrier. If so, answer me this one question. Would you drop ALPA and all union representation for your group to let your management and BOD make all your pay, work rule, and compensation decisions unilaterally. If you do work for an ALPA carrier have you gone through a merger lately. If so how would you have liked going through that merger with just your CEO negotiating the deal you as a pilot received post merger. Keeping in mind he has to legally do what is fiduciarily best for the share holders and not the pilots. How would you feel if your work rules changed at anytime randomly via an email from the company vs. a vote from your group and you couldn't do any thing about it. While no one at JB thinks ALPA is perfect I assure you not having any representation no longer works. An in house won't work because we don't have the funding and the company is very hostile towards representation. Ask FedEx how an in house works with a hostile management. The other option is the truckers union. So come work for a carrier with no representation whatsoever and then say that again.

So you tell me smart guy. What is the best way to achieve what we want, because asking management pretty please and doing a survey doesn't cut it anymore.

Btw some of the things I want.
Legal protection - ALPA gives me that day one
Aero Medical - ALPA gives me that day one
Merger Protection - ALPA gives me that day one
A seat at the negotiation table - ALPA gives me that the day my pilot group votes in an MEC.
Loss of medical insurance - ALPA gives me the ability to get that
So I see ALPA as a pretty good way to achieve what I want.

I currently work for an ALPA carrier - I am absolutely convinced that the "benefit" received from ALPA is substantially less than the amount of money we give to them. In essence we are subsidizing benefits to a number of regionals and paying for the substantial and overly generous overhead that comes with the organization and worst of all - political donations to politicians who I would never support.

I am convinced an in house organization would provide much better representation and I would know 100% of what I pay would benefit me - and we would have much better control of the purse strings.

Pointing out the truth now lables me a scab. Seriously - that is the best you can do to respond to points that you know to be true. At least be creative and tell me something positive, like ALPA has done a great deal for the advancement of mustache fashion or it has helped us learn where to have fancy dinners in and around Herndon. . . something???

Here are the facts:

1. Carriers like Delta, United and FedEx carry the expenses of regionals and cover a disproportional amount of overhead

2. The disproportional amount of overhead carried by these carriers is in an of itself excessive

3. ALPA spends our dues money on political candidates and causes that many pilots do not support.

Latest resources

Back