Thanks from an NJA Rookie

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gwadwerc

To all the regulars (and irregulars) who post here about NJA, thanks for all the great info. It helped me feel much more comfortable in my interview and no doubt improved my performance there. I got THE call today, and will be CMH-based Excel beginning July 17. Now to pick your brains one more time :) :

I've been wearing foam ear plugs and Telex headset in the CRJ. Will that effectively cross-over to the Excel? If not, what do you recommend?

I know NJA pilots don't drag around 50lbs of Jepps like I've been doing. What's the most elegant solution for hauling headset, flashlight, sunglasses, etc?

Is there some place in the Excel to carry one's laptop, or are you so busy there's no point in bringing one?

Any gotchas in training it would have been nice to see coming?

What else should I be asking that I don't have the insight to?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tailwinds,
-Gwadwerc

I'm not in the Excel, so I can't help you there, but congratulations and welcome aboard! You'll be astounded how much better it is here than at a regional.

Congrats on the job. The XL is a nice ride...but a very busy fleet!

To answer some of your questions:

A lot of the XL pilots wear the Telex headsets with the foam ear plugs. Works pretty well in the XL. Some opt for noise cancelling headsets.

I used my airline flt case for a while when I first started there until I decided what exactly what I wanted to buy. The XL has room enough for a flt case easily. Many go for a lap top style bag, even if they don't carry a laptop...because that size bag works well too. If you have a laptop, I'd bring it on the road. About 50% of the hotels have free wireless....many FBO's too.

I really wouldn't go on any kind of a shopping spree until you know exactly what you need. Most of that is personal preference.

Training gotchas.....there aren't many. If you get the packet from the company with the limitations, memory items, callouts, SOP's and know them going into training...it will be a breeze.

Good luck, welcome aboard!

fly26 said:
Congrats on the job. The XL is a nice ride...but a very busy fleet!

To answer some of your questions:

A lot of the XL pilots wear the Telex headsets with the foam ear plugs. Works pretty well in the XL. Some opt for noise cancelling headsets.

I used my airline flt case for a while when I first started there until I decided what exactly what I wanted to buy. The XL has room enough for a flt case easily. Many go for a lap top style bag, even if they don't carry a laptop...because that size bag works well too. If you have a laptop, I'd bring it on the road. About 50% of the hotels have free wireless....many FBO's too.

I really wouldn't go on any kind of a shopping spree until you know exactly what you need. Most of that is personal preference.

Training gotchas.....there aren't many. If you get the packet from the company with the limitations, memory items, callouts, SOP's and know them going into training...it will be a breeze.

Good luck, welcome aboard!

Exactly what Fly26 said except I would bump the free internet up to 80-85%. I use the computer case and the 26 inch bag from pretty cool stuff. The free Telex headset in the plane and free ear plugs work great. A few guys have the Bose. I would wait before buying anything. The Netjets computer bag is not bad. I just bought it because my old one fell apart. I have seen some guys carry 3 bags and others only a duffle bag. Don't sweat it because no matter what you use, the capt will give you $h!t because his method is better. Welcome and you'll love the Excel; not too big, not too small, just right.

Training is no big deal. Study as advised above and you're good.

P.S. You'll get more money for flying both the XLS/XL. :)

Blackberry

Thanks to all for the insight and encouragement.

What cell company does NJA use for the Blackberries? If it's SPrint, is it possible to deactivate my current phone and have my current phone # transferred to the BLackberry?

Gwadwerc said:
What cell company does NJA use for the Blackberries? If it's SPrint, is it possible to deactivate my current phone and have my current phone # transferred to the BLackberry?

We're not supposed to use the Blackberries for personal phone use aside from a three minute "safe arrival" message each day. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

Gwadwerc said:
Thanks to all for the insight and encouragement.

Phone to be used for NJA business.

"If you need to use the phone for personal business then do so, just don't use it as your primary phone."-- William Worth Boisture, 2004

Bottom line... you can make calls to you girl but if you make too many and abuse the privilage then it could affect all of us.

Flashlights and headsets are provided in the plane. No 121ish requirement for each pilot to have a 2 D cell flashlight in good working order here. Use earplugs with the headset or your favorite response to a question will be, "Huh??"

I carry a 26" Luggage Works bag. Love it. Since the Jepps are in the plane and we don't need a flight case I use the larger of the two duffles or totes (don't rememebr which they call it) to carry my puter and extra stuff.

That should give you all the room you need for being ready for anything from Buffalo to Barbados in a 7 day period.

Have fun.

Learn the contract.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Gwadwerc! Guitar Guy, a regular poster, is a NJ pilot that is based in CMH. He is very willing to return PMs and answer questions. Feel free to drop him a line if you have specific questions about CMH.

Best Wishes!
NJW

Gwaderc,

Welcome aboard. From what I hear you will enjoy the Excel. My first year with the company I hit 47 out of the 48 lower states. I was intially hired onto the 560/550.

See you on the road!
Infoman.

Latest resources

Back