• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks from an NJA Rookie

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gwadwerc - Congratulations and welcome to NJA!

I'll throw in my two cents on a few of your questions but take 'em with a grain of salt, because I'm not an XL guy. I purchased a Telex 850 (active noise cancelling) that works well for me in the 560 - no batteries and it's just about the same size as the Telex 750. As for computers, lots of wifi and hi-speed access tends to be available for free at FBO's and hotels. That said, I don't bring a computer with me, as I can usually find a free terminal in an FBO or a hotel. (Plus, I'd rather drag along a guitar...)

As NJW said, I'm CMH-based, so if you have some questions, please feel free to PM me.

I'm in the XL/XLS at NJA. I use the foam earplugs with the Telex but am soon going to buy the mid level Bose with the special mic attachment. I've seen that more and more and like it. Keep the flashlight at home.. each airplane has one or two. Bring your laptop (I'm on mine now).
The biggest gotcha is not calling the Captain "SIR."

I'm a BeechJet Driver for FLops, so I don't know about the Excel but give the Bose a 30 day try, you will love them. Remember your ears are your career. The 1000.00 price tag sux, but absolutely worth it

Congratulations dude.

All our new XLS's come with noise cancelling headsets....telex type. But there are plenty of Excels without that, so it would be worth it to get some.

Do you have access to a FSI manual for the XLS? If not, blast me off a PM and we'll see what we can do.

Gwadwerc:

I've been wearing foam ear plugs and Telex headset in the CRJ. Will that effectively cross-over to the Excel? If not, what do you recommend?

A lot of guys wear the same setup you are talking about. The Bose quiet comfort/uflymike is becoming pretty popular. I just tried my set out last week and it was great.

I know NJA pilots don't drag around 50lbs of Jepps like I've been doing. What's the most elegant solution for hauling headset, flashlight, sunglasses, etc?

Laptop bag. I'm not trying to knock those who do, but, there is no need to carry a kit bag like at the airlines. You would be the minority if you do. Check out ebags.com

Is there some place in the Excel to carry one's laptop, or are you so busy there's no point in bringing one?

You store your suitcase in the baggage compartment and your laptop/ personal bag in the luggage area across from the lav. A lot of folks bring laptops. We have negotiated free internet at most of the hotels we stay at. Also, 99% of the FBO's have free wireless.

Any gotchas in training it would have been nice to see coming?

Know the memory items and limitations. Systems are pretty straight forward. In my opinion, it was easier and more laid back than my airline training. That being said, you still need to take it serious.

What else should I be asking that I don't have the insight to?

The XL is a hard working fleet. It's the equivalent of an airborne SUV. The owners love it for the baggage space. It's a fun jet to fly that is pretty straight forward. Enjoy and pm me with any questions.

Last edited:
First, welcome aboard.

Be sure to read all the info given to you by the union folks in your indoc briefing about how to get set up on the union web site and message board. If you don't, you'll be answering to me.. :rolleyes:

Next, I've been on the XL/S at NJA for the last 3.5 years and am in the process of upgrading in fleet right now. Most of the information given to you is right on, except for the part about noise canceling headsets. There are none in the XL/S right now. All come with Telex 750. The popular NC headset option right now seems to be the Bose QC2 with the Uflymike adapter, but I agree that you should just wait till you get going. It could easily be 120 days from start until you get out into IOE and actually start flying much at all, so save your bucs for now.

We put the luggage bag in the back and our personal cases inside the ship across from the lav seat and under the baggage strap. Most of the folks carry one of those computer carry bags, including me, and there is plenty of room for both pilots bags in the back. I would also agree that you should loose the jepps case; save it for going back to recurrent and carrying all the books again. Just had to replace my old $75 NetJets computer bag and it took a while to find one big enough for all the books and manuals without a "wheelie" thing in it. You'll be carrying a jepps binder sized "FOM" and a 1/2" thick normal sized Int'l manual. You'll also probably end up carrying some sort of small 3 ring binder for your tour receipts, notes, extra info, phone numbers, customs forms, etc. Add in your normal stuff like glasses case, calculator, power chargers, the computer and it can be a decent sized bag in a hurry. I carry the 22" bag from Luggage Works and pack for 7 days; it ends up weighing 25 lbs. My computer bag ends up weighing 22 lbs, if that gives you any idea.

You'll like the Excel fleet. It is hard working, and by the middle of the year will be the largest at NJA. Average is 4-5 legs per day with about 1.5 hours per. I regularly get about 20 quarters of overtime per 7 day tour (OT is measured in quarter hours). The folks are real nice, both in the fleet and in the company, exempting the normal share of assholes.

One thing no one has mentioned: get all your hotel, airline, and rental car points/awards cards sent off for now. Except, that is, your Hilton card. If you have that already, fine... but through our Travel committee, you will be taken straight to Hilton Diamond status if you use their instructions for signing up. Don't forget to sign up for avfuel (www.avfuel.com) card and Pilots + at the Exxon website.

If you've got questions, PM me. I'm one of the "union" folks also so I can answer those questions for you to. And again, welcome aboard.

yosemite said:
I carry the 22" bag from Luggage Works and pack for 7 days; it ends up weighing 25 lbs.
Only an Oompa Loompa can pack 7 days worth of clothes in a 22" bag, let alone it weighing only 25 lbs. You know, a "little person" who wears the same thing every day... :D

Ultra Grump said:
Only an Oompa Loompa can pack 7 days worth of clothes in a 22" bag, let alone it weighing only 25 lbs. You know, a "little person" who wears the same thing every day... :D

Get the 26" bag... you'll be happy you did.

Good to have you here!

Latest resources

Back