Thanks AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The interview?

Let's look at this from another aspect. Will I be gracious to a native who comes on board for the js? I'll be polite and professional, but I will be making sure he/she understands that APA/AMR cost me $3.5M. I'm gonna have to work at Wal-Mart until I'm 80 to afford retirement. Most of the natives don't understand supp CC and what it did to the TWA folks. Some just plod along with the herd saying how glad we should have been to have a job. Am I glad to be at AirTran? Yes, I am. Will I make AirTran look bad? No. (this board is a free wheeling keep your sensitivity/PC needs in check site, not a company rah rah place). Will I explain what the native/s actions did? Yes. And how would you know what I said to whom in the interview? Hum? Have I gotten over the cram down? Remember that ALPA stabbed us in the back. Don Carty lied to congress. The rank and file at APA allowed the integration injustice occur. Corral me in the ramp office, let's talk. I can appreciate your concern, but frankly, I don't think you really know the depth of the issue. AirTran is a great place for every one to js, including the natives. I just wish every where else was as great for us. It should improve when we finally are approved for CASS.

For the other reply: The TWA MEC was hood winked by APA/AMR/APLA with the direct result leading to the "shot gun wedding" surrender of our scope clause protecitons under the guise of getting rid of Carl Ichan's Karabu ticket arrangement, then the 1113 section was dropped in our lap like a turd in the punch bowl. The up coming trial in federal court against ALPA will be a very interesting exposure of the entire sordid affair. Must reading for the labor law classes for the next two generations at Harvard, Yale and Princeton when the book is published. Do I feel for the guy just going to work? Of course. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt.

Last edited:
So, basically what yer sayin is ya got it rammed up yer a$$ by ALPA?

Take yer place at the end of a very long line of pilots. Your group wern't the first, and won't be the last. I hope ya see some satisfaction in court, but don't bet on it. Don't quite see how takin' it out on some rank and file schmoe tryin ta git home is gonna make ya feel better, but yer own peeps is gonna come down a ya like a ton a bricks if word gits around. Good luck.

Here's my favorite part about the whole ALPA thing. After getting hosed in the the TWA/AA debacle, got another job at an ALPA carrier. Got to be an apprentice member again, even though I never left ALPA through any action of my own. They kindly issue me my same ALPA number though. Now, if we win our lawsuit against ALPA I wonder - will I be assessed to pay myself a settlement?

PIPE

The rank and file at APA allowed the integration injustice to occur.

Yeah, of course.... we the rank and file gave our permission to APA to go ahead with the integration. The APA called EVERY ONE OF US and asked us if they could proceed. Get real, Rik. In every past merger/acquisition, the rank and file has been POWERLESS to prevent or allow any integration issues, a fact that a few of you TWAers refuse to acknowledge. In your eyes, we could have put a stop to the proceedings the minute we felt like it wasn't going too good - how, I don't know, but maybe you do. I'm sure that if Airtran buys some other airline, you and your fellow Airtranners will be moderating whatever the NPA leadership comes up with. The truth is, you will be removed from the process as a "rank and file" pilot no matter what they come up with. Always been true, and will always be true.

That said, you can be assured of getting a first class seat - if one's available - on any of my flights, without having to listen to any diatribe other than gracious treatment, especially as a fellow AA pilot. Welcome aboard,

Yeah, of course.... we the rank and file gave our permission to APA to go ahead with the integration. The APA called EVERY ONE OF US and asked us if they could proceed. Get real, Rik. In every past merger/acquisition, the rank and file has been POWERLESS to prevent or allow any integration issues, a fact that a few of you TWAers refuse to acknowledge. In your eyes, we could have put a stop to the proceedings the minute we felt like it wasn't going too good - how, I don't know, but maybe you do. I'm sure that if Airtran buys some other airline, you and your fellow Airtranners will be moderating whatever the NPA leadership comes up with. The truth is, you will be removed from the process as a "rank and file" pilot no matter what they come up with. Always been true, and will always be true.

That said, you can be assured of getting a first class seat - if one's available - on any of my flights, without having to listen to any diatribe other than gracious treatment, especially as a fellow AA pilot. Welcome aboard,

I JS on AA all the time. I do everything I can to be the "model jumpseater". Introduce myself to both pilots. Ask nicely for a ride. Introduce myself to FA's and offer to help with anything I can help with. Don't ever tell them I was TWA. I have never, ever been offered First Class on an AA airplane.

I really don't care at all - I'll ride in the aft lav to get to work and I am just grateful for the ride. If you are really getting JS riders into first you are a rare exception and I think that's great. I hope it spreads.

PIPE

I JS on AA all the time. I do everything I can to be the "model jumpseater". Introduce myself to both pilots. Ask nicely for a ride. Introduce myself to FA's and offer to help with anything I can help with. Don't ever tell them I was TWA. I have never, ever been offered First Class on an AA airplane.

I really don't care at all - I'll ride in the aft lav to get to work and I am just grateful for the ride. If you are really getting JS riders into first you are a rare exception and I think that's great. I hope it spreads.

PIPE

Pipe - we're dealing with an age-old history of bad culture between pilots and FAs. Used to be, the FAs would cop an attitude if jumpseaters were put in First, and some captains lost their cojones and just quit offering. Me, I could care less - the jumpseater rides in First for safety reasons, and also because it's available. If the FA questions it (and that's very rare these days), they usually clam up when I tell them it's primarily for safety purposes (having a pilot near the cockpit.)

I try and spread this practice through our union message board, and I think it is slowly catching on. Anyways, always glad to have you on board, regardless.

Latest resources

Back