• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Texas $1295 Multi Engine ???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Plus, the closest FBO that I could do my multi with is 50 miles from here. I really don't want to shell out the $280 an hour they want for a baron if I don't have to.

Well, just got back from a trip to GKY but it didn't pan out the way I wanted it to. The weather did not cooperate with me, so I am going to have to go back down there in a couple of weeks to do my checkride. The folks down there run a first class operation, and the service from them cannot be any better. Everything good that has been said about their operation is in line. The time building program they offer looks pretty good also. 10 hours for $1290. Where can you buy 10 hours for $129 an hour? If anyone is looking to get their multi, give this place a try.

Last edited:
One thing that everybody misses in this "get the me add on quick" deal is the fact that when it comes to renting more ME aircraft these "quicke" ratings and licenses won't make too much difference.
Compare these two people:
Person #1 : Goes and gets Comm add on for 1295. Comes back to home and still needs 10 hrs of check out on the local twin for $225 + instructor fees
Person #2 : Goes to a local school and gets the commercial add on at 10 hrs at 225 + instructor and then is able to rent the me aircraft.

Which one would you rather be?
In this day and age of 'get there fast' a lot of people are missing these points.

Except that the training you get from Clyde's place is excellent. Its all they do. All of the guys are experienced, and your instructor is not the 500 hr boy wonder you might find at your local FBO!!!!

Also, its nice to get the rating fast and start logging PIC as you learn. The multi PIC time is better than just dual. Who can afford to rent a twin solo anyways? And where do they let you rent one solo nowadays?

Well, just got back from a trip to GKY but it didn't pan out the way I wanted it to. The weather did not cooperate with me, so I am going to have to go back down there in a couple of weeks to do my checkride. The folks down there run a first class operation, and the service from them cannot be any better. Everything good that has been said about their operation is in line. The time building program they offer looks pretty good also. 10 hours for $1290. Where can you buy 10 hours for $129 an hour? If anyone is looking to get their multi, give this place a try.

I was delayed getting my ATP there. The wx was not do-able....If it is do-able they will get it done!!

I'm scheduled to go out here June 2nd my commercial/inst add-on. Any tips? Any Hotels that you'd recommend or that I should stay away from? Thanks!

Hey I might see you down there if the weather doesn't hold out again. I'm going to try and get it finished next week though. The motel that they recommend is a good one and you can't beat the price, $49.99 a night. It is the Quality Inn and probably a little over a mile or so away from the airport. Make sure when you call them tell them its for multi engine training, because the regular rates are around $95 bucks. It is a decent place to stay and a few eating joints within walking distance. The only tip I have is if you are flying into DFW, come in during a decent time where one of their instructors can come and pick you up. I had to fly in at 8 p.m. and had a terrible time trying to get to the motel. I even had reservations with the Yellow Checker people, but they ended up handing me off 3 different times and it is difficult trying to speak english to those folks. Not a good experience with the cabbies! Thats all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I've been considering doing the C-AMEL Instr in the next few weeks.

Yes...............

Well I just got done with this program... It is intense and a little crazy. But you do learn a lot and there is a method to the madness - although I have to admit I sure wondered sometimes. But the instruction is good and the checkride is no gimme. You do have to earn it, but if you're sharp and a hard worker, this is a good pretty good way to get it done quick and cheap. If you are going, pm me and I'll send you a scan of the V-speeds and profiles (courtesy of "Air 1" on this board). If you study these before you get there, you'll be ahead of the game. When you get there, spend your free time in the BE-95 mockup and you'll be pretty good to go.

The only problem I had was Clyde only had one of the three Travelairs flying. One had a gear up awhile back, and is apparently out of commision for who knows how long. The other one was in the midst of a generator to alternator conversion, and they were having all kinds of problems with this electrical system.

The third one was being used a lot, and definitely seeing some wear and tear. The mech fuel pumps were initially acting a little flaky, and I was a little concerned about that. But this was addressed and there were no other mechanical problems with that a/c. There was starting to be a backlog of people, but so far they seem to be able to get you through. I only had to stay one extra day, but my last day (today) was absolutely insane. But I did get through, and am now a Commercial Instrument MEL pilot for $1295. Hard to beat.

The other students at the school are some GREAT people, and I had a good time talking to everybody and made a couple of friends. There was even some crazy guy sleeping in his car in the parking lot while apparently working on his ME rating!

Don Scott no longer does checkrides (medical), but does the ground school class. Just don't argue with him about P-factor like I did! :) He's a great guy with a lot of knowledge.

Whatever you do, absolutely DO NOT stay at the "InTown Suites" off Cooper Street. The place is total WT and smells like cigarette smoke. My meth addict "neighbor" upstair got arrested my first night here.

Thanks to "Air 1" for sending me out the V-speeds and profiles before I went. They helped a lot!

Last edited:
It was nice meeting you wrxpilot and I'm glad you got it finished in a reasonable amount of time. If the weather doesn't get you, the planes will. :)It got me anyway. It is an intense course and I can't imagine how busy and insane the place could get when they have 3 planes up and going. You couldn't ask for a better group of people either. They shuttle me around everyday I was there and even to the grocery store a couple of times. Like you said it is no gimme on the checkride, but I came away from the training with a lot learned in a short amount of time. The main thing I'd have to say that would put you at a big advantage is know the power settings and that sort of stuff in advance. It makes the learning a lot easier since you are trying to cram other new stuff in at the same time. Overall looking back, it was a good experience and would recommend it for the $1295 price tag, even though I had to come back twice because of weather.

Oh, and check out the video of the plane doing a gear up earlier this year. This was in fact the same plane we did our checkrides in. 13AW Go figure!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N3OJGT5vV-0

Latest resources

Back