• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Terrorists Win: Deodorant Banned From Airplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He probably is pushing the edges on the war on terror, but how are you going to find the suitcase bomb without a clandestine listening program or a money tracking program?
I love the line of reasoning - lets change our values and the way we live so the terrorist can't make us change our values and the way we live.

The U.S. Constitution is the fabric by which our nation operates. It defines our system of values. Ultimately that is what the terrorists hate, our way of life and our values. By our government pushing the edges of the Constitution, the terrorists are winning the war hands down. There was a time when that point of view was considered very conservative. It is sad that it is now considered liberal.

This is the never ending cycle the Islamists want us in. This makes you a "useful idiot" in their eyes.
The war in Afghanistan is a just war and one I support fully. The Afghan Taliban government gave shelter and support for a group that attacked and killed thousands U.S. citizens on our own soil. To not go to war would have been inexcusable. In fact I am honestly dissappointed that the U.S. Congress didn't issue a full scale declaration of war. IMHO it would have been the right thing to do.
So how would you go to war and not spend money? Thats where the money went--the war on terror. A'stan is ok but Iraq is not. Good reasoning.
Don't let the revisionist blow hards on Fox News confuse you. Iraq was never about terrorism. Iraq was first and foremost about revenge for Hussein attempting to kill Bush Sr. back in 1993. GWB said so himself back 2001, before Sept 11th. Even after Sept. 11th, when Powell was making the case for the invasion, the argument was not to stop Islamic terrorism, it was to prevent Saddam Hussein from developing WMDs. And Hussein was not in bed with the Terrorists. He was a secular leader who hated the Islamic fundamentalists and was actually fighting against them. It was the toppling of Hussein and poor planning for the power vacuum that existed afterwards which allowed Islamic Terrorists to gain a foothold in Iraq and create the breeding ground we have today. GWBs desire for revenge and access to a large oil supply have created the issue we have there now.
You sound like Michael Moore. There were WMDS in IRAQ. Thousands of Kurds were killed by them. Saddam was in bed with al Queda and the proof of meetings has been quietly released by the government and quietly reported in the news. The yellowcake connection has been made. Since you obviously do not understand what it is like to make a hard decision, I will tell you about Iraq. Everyone thought Saddam had WMD. Clinton, France, The UN, Briton. etc. etc. There were intel guys on both sides of the fence, but the tough decision was made by Bush: Take out Saddam for being in violation of UN findings that earlier US servicemen had died to establish. You like to quote Fox, now I will label you with a New York Times mentality.
I also became an airline pilot during that time. My job as an airline pilot provides for my family. My union works hard to help me provide for my family in a safe and fair working environment. My responsibility to my family is more important than anything else. GWB is a labor and union hating president who has been hard at work at allowing foreign companies to access to our airspace. In short, GWB and his policies are a threat to my ability to provide for my family. And it makes me laugh every time I hear a conservative republican pilot complain about TSA, Open Skies, and managements disregard for the union and pilot group.
What did you do pre 9-11? I am glad you have been injected with union dogma, but if you want to protect your family, you had better watch out for yourself. Start a business or go in the Guard or Reserve or something because the union pretty much looks after itself. Islam is a threat to your family. A suitcase bomb is a threat to your family. GWB is pursuing a policy that hopefully will protect your family from that.

NEDude said:
-

Don't let the revisionist blow hards on Fox News confuse you. Iraq was never about terrorism. Iraq was first and foremost about revenge for Hussein attempting to kill Bush Sr. back in 1993. GWB said so himself back 2001, before Sept 11th. Even after Sept. 11th, when Powell was making the case for the invasion, the argument was not to stop Islamic terrorism, it was to prevent Saddam Hussein from developing WMDs. And Hussein was not in bed with the Terrorists. He was a secular leader who hated the Islamic fundamentalists and was actually fighting against them. It was the toppling of Hussein and poor planning for the power vacuum that existed afterwards which allowed Islamic Terrorists to gain a foothold in Iraq and create the breeding ground we have today. GWBs desire for revenge and access to a large oil supply have created the issue we have there now.

Guess that explains why some of the earliest targets struck in the war included terrorist training camps.

There were WMDs in Iraq. Some have been found and reported. Others were most likely transferred to Syria. Interesting how the likes of the NYT buries or fails to report on such information.

OBTW - if you look at long term strategy (longer than next week) you might also realize that the likes of Iran will have to be dealt with. Sure would be helpful if we had bases in the area to operate from. Wait - I think we have that now in Afghanistan and Iraq. A pretty strong negotiating position if you ask me...

SkiFishFly said:
Guess that explains why some of the earliest targets struck in the war included terrorist training camps.

There were WMDs in Iraq. Some have been found and reported. Others were most likely transferred to Syria. Interesting how the likes of the NYT buries or fails to report on such information.

OBTW - if you look at long term strategy (longer than next week) you might also realize that the likes of Iran will have to be dealt with. Sure would be helpful if we had bases in the area to operate from. Wait - I think we have that now in Afghanistan and Iraq. A pretty strong negotiating position if you ask me...
DITTO

NEDude said:
Hmm, more of a mandate? Republicans control the Presidency, the Senate, the House of Representatives, arguably have a 5-4 edge in the Supreme Court, and even a 28-22 edge in Governorships. News flash, there isn't anything else the Republicans can control. What kind of a mandate do you need? No Democrats anywhere?

I am sorry that for George and company, controlling everything still isn't enough of an edge.

(and note- I really did vote for GWB so consider that when making your comments)

You discount the foolishness of a large part of the American public, who demand instant success at everything. The idea of a long battle against a determined enemy is not something they are ready to ponder.

I have argued with many liberals (and some conservatives) who think that we shoud be "doing more" to stop terror, but they are unable to come up with any ideas. This is ignorance and impatience mixed together.

Plus, they are against the NSA program and profiling. They want someone to come up with a 100% effective, politically correct way to stop terror that causes no hard feelings and inconveniences no one.

100LL... Again! said:
I have argued with many liberals (and some conservatives) who think that we shoud be "doing more" to stop terror, but they are unable to come up with any ideas.
Doing more to stop terror would be simple, just stop freaking out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back