• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ted --- new name for UAL's Starfish

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was hoping you would see by your predictions you have zero credibility. You can't even admit when you are wrong when I show you your own words! Did UAL get DIP financing? Yes or no! Did UAL make it through March? Yes or no! Did UAL make it through the war? Yes or no!

You bet the LCO is a small, low risk part of the restructuring. Less than 10% of the fleet on planes already being filled on routes already being flown.

UAL needs a major restructuring to survive? Duh. There is a little more going on than this LCO, in case you haven't been keeping up with current events.

What is the grand plan? I thought this might be obvious to even the most casual observer, but I'll give it to you in a nutshell. Keep the route structure in place while significantly reducing costs and maximizing revenue. UAL is catching up to others with regional feed and going after the revenue like I've not seen before. A lot of firsts in the advertising dept. UAL is gaining crediblilty in the restructuring process by leading the biggest half dozen carriers in on-time performance - 2 years running.

Pre-petition debt and lease obligations. Before you post anything else on the old "not paying their bills track," do some homework and find out what UAL has to account for every month in BK court. More homework - find out what just happened this week to the DIA pre-petition debt. I'll give you a hint, its the same thing that will happen to most of the other pre-petition debt.

Maybe if you concentrate really hard, you and Bethune can will some bad stuff to happen over here. I know UAL isn't out of the woods yet! Don't need to be told that.

Heavy Set said:
Someone needs to fire the pot-smoking, 25 year old marketing GEEKS who came up with this screwy name. HA HA, real creative... I liked Starfish better - didn't General Lee refer to Starfish as a 1960s term for ANUS?

"Obviously, it's for somebody who is into sort of a free, independent-skier sort of lifestyle," he said. "They are playing to reality advertising. They are definitely trying to go low-cost. They are trying to create an Internet cult following." Yeah, good luck with that one.... The ski bums they are attempting to attract probably can't even afford Greyhound tickets - they are ski bums who work at ski resorts to ski FOR FREE.... Will TED provide free tickets to different ski resorts? Can the overhead bins accomodate large numbers of snow boards? Could not be lamer DUDE! I think DUDE would have been a better name, but I think American is considering it... [/B]

Jeeeez, Heavy set---you are KILLING ME!!! ROFLMAO:D :D

Ted? WTFO?

Vanna I would like to buy an H and an N

ThE EnD

I like what Boeingman said earlier: If United and USAirways merged some day, they could create their own LCC with the last three or four letters of each of their names:

WAYS---TED. I'm wasted man!!! I hope it works.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: ;)

When I first heard of 'Ted' I hated it. It is growing on me. I like the paint scheme, it is easily identified with United and mileage plus, it is easy to remember, and is catchy. I thought they were going with 'Liberty' - this is a much bolder move and has a lot more advertising potential. UAL and Frontier both just got most of what they wanted in DIA. Frontier is going to expand and gets some gates on a temp basis from UAL. United got the regional expansion, relief of pre-petition debt, and cheaper gates. I predict Frontier will continue to do well in Denver and grow somewhere else too. Their advertising is awesome. A lot of smart folks from Cali keep moving to the front range and there is plenty of room for them here and seats to fly out of DIA.

TED meet CAN

DALLAS, Nov. 12 /PRNewswire-LastCall/ -- Ending days of speculation in Dallas and around the country, American today confirmed that Can is the name of its new low-fare service that will bring travelers a quality experience with simplified low fares.

Culminating a successful guerilla marketing campaign in the city that will be its first hub, Can has generated buzz and excretement in Dallas, achieved through a series of random acts of urination. Can's unveiling celebration will take place on November 18 in Dallas, officially putting a face to the name.

While the mainline remains American's core product, Can expands the relevance of American's brand portfolio, capturing an opportunity in a high- growth segment of today's airline market.

"Customers want low fares and lots of lavatories, especially in our leisure markets," said Bob Killgore, Vice President - Low Cost Operation. "In order to meet that need and seize the opportunity, American has accomplished substantial cost reductions -- nearly $5 billion annually by 2005 -- that allow us to offer an operation that is competitive with other low-fare carriers. Can is supported by a profitable and sustainable plan, with higher aircraft utilization, a simplified schedule and fare structure, and more toilets per aircraft."

"Can isn't just a low cost initiative, it also creates more revenue opportunity in leisure focused markets," said Jim Smith, Executive Vice President - Customer. "Although Can will be an American branded product, it has been designed with a unique name and personality all its own. American chose the name Can to emphasize that the service is an essential, integrated part of the company -- it's the last three letters of the company's name," he added. "Through our guerilla campaign in Dallas, we've created intense interest in Can by reaching deep into the community in new and unique ways. The consumer response to our initiatives and the IGottaGoToTheCan.com website has been phenomenal."

Can will begin flying customers in February 2004 with service from Dallas to Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, Ontario (California) and Fort Lauderdale, a new Can market not previously served by American . Beyond Dallas, Ted will also offer service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco and San Francisco and Phoenix.

The Can fleet will feature the popular Airbus A300 aircraft, launching with four planes based in Dallas and expanding to as many as 45 planes by the end of 2004 -- 19 of which will be based in Dallas. Each A300 will have 18 more toilets than American's mainline A300's-- due to a single class of service -- for a total of 25 toilets. "The Airbus A300 is the perfect aircraft for lavatory enhancements." said Victor Frederickson, VP Operations, "In the future you can expect even more washroom innovation while flying on the Can."

Can offers a compelling alternative to the current crop of low-fare carriers. Customers can earn AAdvantage frequent flier miles on all Can flights; seating is pre-assigned and can be pre-booked; and Can customers can expect seamless travel around the world on all American offerings, including American mainline, American Eagle and oneworld partners. Can planes will feature a More Headroom Throughout Head section with five extra inches of lavatory headroom to reward loyal customers. Finally, Can customers will be provided with complimentary luxury liners to make their bathroom experience comfortable, secure, and clean.

Spinup,
Yeah, your point? UAL has lowered its costs, but is still bleeding to death. It lost lots of moeny for , I dont know nearly 3 years and now this. The cost structure of today sucks the life and money from thier company and that was today. Tomorrow with TED Im sure it will be even more dramatic. I hope not, but time will tell. The only thing different between me and a furloughed UAL guy is a thing called luck, I wasnt called for the interview.

FLB717 said:
Spinup,
The only thing different between me and a furloughed UAL guy is a thing called luck, I wasn’t called for the interview.

I'm not sure I'd be patting myself on the back, unless your retirement is just around the corner. It's a mighty large crystal ball many wield on this forum, predicting an unobstructed career at any given airline.

Hopefully, you will be able to look back on a good career.

skykid said:
I was hoping you would see by your predictions you have zero credibility. You can't even admit when you are wrong when I show you your own words! Did UAL get DIP financing? Yes or no! Did UAL make it through March? Yes or no! Did UAL make it through the war? Yes or no!

You bet the LCO is a small, low risk part of the restructuring. Less than 10% of the fleet on planes already being filled on routes already being flown.

UAL needs a major restructuring to survive? Duh. There is a little more going on than this LCO, in case you haven't been keeping up with current events.

What is the grand plan? I thought this might be obvious to even the most casual observer, but I'll give it to you in a nutshell. Keep the route structure in place while significantly reducing costs and maximizing revenue. UAL is catching up to others with regional feed and going after the revenue like I've not seen before. A lot of firsts in the advertising dept. UAL is gaining crediblilty in the restructuring process by leading the biggest half dozen carriers in on-time performance - 2 years running.

Pre-petition debt and lease obligations. Before you post anything else on the old "not paying their bills track," do some homework and find out what UAL has to account for every month in BK court. More homework - find out what just happened this week to the DIA pre-petition debt. I'll give you a hint, its the same thing that will happen to most of the other pre-petition debt.

Maybe if you concentrate really hard, you and Bethune can will some bad stuff to happen over here. I know UAL isn't out of the woods yet! Don't need to be told that.

Denial is a powerfull emotion. It is obvious you Brain Surgeons
are amok in it. But when all you can do is hope........

Like I said before, you can spin it any way you want, but your still bleeding to death. Albiet a bit more slowly.

Latest resources

Back