• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TEB Questions...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have never flown into TEB - although I have seen it from the air. What is the primary delay issue? Is it TEB's proximity to EWR and the resulting flow problem? Is it too many Gulfstreams and Globals trying to leave/arrive at the same time? Is it poor local ATC? Are these problems also experienced at HPN and Morristown - or is it just a local (EWR) issue?

You are right on all counts, except the ATC issue. Those guys do a really great job most of the time. It's a very high stress piece of airspace.

Getting out of MMU can be a problem, and it is usually related to activity at Newark, and which way they are handling their traffic over there.

HPN is usually a matter of waiting in line to have your departure fit into the arrivals, as it is a busy little (?) airport. :)

I agree with Timebuilder...the ATC guys at TEB and HPN are excellent. I've never had to wait longer than 25 minutes at HPN.

TEB vs HPN

From a standpoint of convenience and risk management - I like WhitePlains. It's outside of the New York Severe Weather Avoidance Plan area so you can usually get into it and out of it without massive delays and a precision approach is available from either direction. At Teterboro, you normally get the ILS Rwy 06 circle-to-land Rwy 01 pylon-around-the-towers approach or the marginal weather VOR A overhead I-think-I still-see-the-runway-no-that's 24 circle to Rwy 19 approach. If in addition to the wx being bad it is also dark, the likelihood of getting one of these two approaches increases to near 100%.

GV

Heavy Set said:
I have never flown into TEB - although I have seen it from the air. What is the primary delay issue? Is it TEB's proximity to EWR and the resulting flow problem? Is it too many Gulfstreams and Globals trying to leave/arrive at the same time? Is it poor local ATC? Are these problems also experienced at HPN and Morristown - or is it just a local (EWR) issue?

It is not unusual to have 1-2 hour delays prior to engine start and another 1:00+ on the taxiway waiting for departure. EWR is the controlling agency, but it has to be coordinated with JFK, LGA and EWR arrv/departures. I'll give them this though. Not many major airports could beat the efficiency of TEB arrivals on the VOR A with TEB5 departures. That is a bunch of planes using a very small bit of airspace!

Personal soapbox:
In my opinion, if NY ARTCC would take advantage of the speed and climbing ability of most business jets they wouldn't have so many aircraft in their airspace at the same time. Let us get the heck out of town. Currently, most GA jets can be at FL410 in less than :20 minutes. Instead, we are lined up behind airliners that take :30 min to get to FL300. It can make a trans-con a little concerning when they leave you at 8000' for the first 150 nm.
Case in point: Last week we thought we had it made when we were cleared straight to 15000. Then they gave us (2) 360 degree turns so 4 airliners could get by (who were already behind us). I guess they wanted to see us pass them twice.

How 'bout this NPRM?
FAR 91.EIEIO(a) No Regional jet aircraft allowed above FL350, unless cruise portion of flight is longer than 2:00 hours.

FAR 91.EIEIO(b)No transport category aircraft (airliners) allowed above FL390 unless cruise portion of flight is longer than 2:30 hours.

FAR 91.EIEIO(c)Stop complaining about us going slow on approach....you should have been going faster in cruise.

Just kidding around guys :D :D :D

At Teterboro, you normally get the ILS Rwy 06 circle-to-land Rwy 01 pylon-around-the-towers approach or the marginal weather VOR A overhead I-think-I still-see-the-runway-no-that's 24 circle to Rwy 19 approach.

HA!! I see you have flown that approach!

I'll never forget when I was first vectored to the north, and was warned to make my turn NORTH of the ABC television towers. I didn't see them at first, and when I did I said something like "holy cow". :D

I'm glad they don't download thse CVR recordings.

Latest resources

Back