tdturbo strikes again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AVBUG

[QOUTE=Avbug]I'm grateful for the experience...it goes toward helping me stay alive the next time around.[/QOUTE]

Profound!

One point for avbug, he finally gets it! Hurray!

Last edited:
Turbo,

You are a baby, get over it, dont fly in ice in a 182. Avbug has a lot more experience than you. He was only trying to point something out to you that was unsafe. This board comes down to a bunch of pilots trying to help each other out. His coments might sound harsh but no one here wants to hear about you burning one in one day. Be safe, getting ice intentionally no matter the circumstance is unsafe, not smart, and illegal. Go to your safety seminar listen to what they have to say and try and abide by it, I know that none of them will say that it is a good idea to experiment with ice.

You want to know how a 182 flies with ice on the wings? Like sh!t.

tdturdo,

I'm finding it hard to let this statement go.

You said,

Lets get off the ice, point taken, the day I was in the air was getting warmer the farther south I was heading, you weren't there, period. Not everything is balck or white. If every plane in the Midwest were to stay grounded during an airmet, what do you think would happen to aviation?

The appropriate answer is yes, the airplanes not equipied to fly in ice don't fly, they stay grounded, and the larger planes that are equiped can opt to fly, but all still try to AVOID ice if possible.

How is it that you do not understand this??

You say you've been flying for 22 years?

Something here doesn't add up. I am puzzled by your responses.

and the larger planes that are equiped can opt to fly, but all still try to AVOID ice if possible.

You may "try" but it is an absolute given (including your "all") that during certain times of the year ice will be picked up, a no brainer. No and's if's or but's about it. If you don't like ice and want to make sure you "can" avoid it at all times then move south to Florida or out west. No big deal at all for equipment that is certified for flight into known icing conditions and that can knock it off the plane. I think this is being blown out of proportion. How much experience in icing have you experienced?. I would think not much given your responses.

The context is suggesting to student pilots that it's ok to intentionally fly during an airment into known icing conditions in a plane unequiped for it. The appropriate response is it is not ok-stay grounded, do not suggest to GA pilots that it is an advisable thing to do when it is known in advance that iceing conditions exist. I still don't think he gets it. It is a big deal. But I agree, nuff said.

Where do you live Phil?

Where were you trained?

How many hours and what kind of ratings do you have?

You may not know how wx is here in the great lakes, almost everyday there is an airmet for icing, there are days that I am at the airport with an active airmet and there isn't a cloud in the sky for miles. It's a skill aquired through years of flying in the stuff and studying wx that gives you the right to make the call. Sometimes you get it wrong and live, but you do learn. Experience is only aquired through time and exposure. It's a judgment call that differs from day to day, hour to hour. Unless you were in the plane with me, making judgements are baseless.

In no way do I condone low time pilots fly in active airmets for ice. You take baby steps through distance, minimums, winds and range. There are no hard rules, not here at least.

Last edited:
If you don't like ice and want to make sure you "can" avoid it at all times then move south to Florida or out west.

Ice is a fact of life in the west, too. Much of the year round due to hills and associated wx.

there are days that I am at the airport with an active airmet and there isn't a cloud in the sky for miles.

Then the airmet isnt even an issue. The Ice airmet will be issued, and give location of freezing levels and say you'll get ice in clouds and precip from freezing level to some other altitude.

Oh well this whole thread is pointless, i am now dumber for having replied. keep beating the dead horse....it is almost dog food

Last edited:
I did was wrong per FAR but right per me getting to know intimately what icing can do instead of later in worse conditions with no prior experience. I got the experience now, that's the bottom line. Certain things you just gotta do, safe, stupid or not. Everyone that flies has done it or will do it.

I fly over mountains at night, over warm water with PFD's and rafts and experiment with airflow degradation in 100 thick layer in freezing temp to get a handle on how my plane reacts with a little ice on it. Yes, I did this on purpose with 6000 ft of 50 degree air under me and won't fly with anyone without icing experience. I have that now and lived without breaking a sweat because there was no danger.

BTW: There was a CFII with 10,000 hrs in the right seat, it was his idea, I was all for it.

Do not try to deflect the absurdity of your statements by pointing your finger at me either.

You are the one that made these statements and advocated it on a student pilot board by boasting about it, plain and simple. Take care on what you post there, someone may try and emulate you and not be so lucky.

I am done beating this dead horse.

Latest resources

Back