Tax Write Offs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

For normal occupations, like pilots, u only have to pay state tax in one state.

F0r example, if you live in FL and are based in NYC, u wouldn't have to pay ANY state tax because FL doesn't have any.

A guy I know lives in OH and works in MI. He wants tax money taken out of his check so he doesn't have to pay a tax bill to the state. So, he has MI take money out of his check, he files MI taxes and gets the money back, then he files OH to pay his taxes. I wouldn't recommend that!

I don't have any money taken out by MI (where I work), so I have my wife take extra out of her pay in WI (where I live). That way we come out about even, and if we owe, we cover it with what we get back on our Federal return.

Good luck to U!

Cliff
YIP

PS-We just filed our Federal electronically yesterday.
PPS-My first choice is to get rid of ALL income taxes and the IRS as we know it, and have a federal sales tax to generate the revenue that the income tax currently provides (no sales tax on food, clothing, medicine).

atpcliff said:
PPS-My first choice is to get rid of ALL income taxes and the IRS as we know it, and have a federal sales tax to generate the revenue that the income tax currently provides (no sales tax on food, clothing, medicine).

You don't want that. A sales tax discriminates against the lower class because most of their income is spent on goods. Those who have more money buy about the same amount of goods (relatively), however they invest their millions. With a sales tax, investment income wouldn't get taxed.

mckpickle said:
WOOOOOOOOOW.....just finished mine......arhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyway, I work on 2 union committees so my accountant has me take deductions that other may not. Like Cell Phone (1300$) Computer and accessories. Ink Cartridges.

Don't you get reimbursed for these expenses through your council? If you do get reimbursed and you deduct them anyway you stand to get in some pretty huge trouble as ALPA's reimbursement records are shared with the IRS.

Some things I KNOW everyone can take, tips for the drivers....(not to pick you up or get your bags but because he was there on time:)) Tips to the hotel maids. I think I figured almost 600 bucks for tips.

If you break down per diem expenses to maximize on this particular deduction you cannot add an additional deduction for misc. tips. Tip money is included in the $41/day ME&I rate.

Sunglasses, batteries, Hotels & food while traveling for union meetings. Auto and other taxes. (in NH I paid almost 500$ to register my car!)

Once again I would hope your local council is reimbursing you for out of pocket money while doing their business.

Anyway, the guys name is Carl and he has a buisness called AirTax. I've used him for years. When I ask if I'm deducting too much he says, "your problems become my problems" since he represents you in the event of an audit! Annway, hope that helps a bit.

Carl may represent you but you alone are responsible for the fines and penalties if he is wrong.

DoinTime said:
Don't you get reimbursed for these expenses through your council? If you do get reimbursed and you deduct them anyway you stand to get in some pretty huge trouble as ALPA's reimbursement records are shared with the IRS.

If you break down per diem expenses to maximize on this particular deduction you cannot add an additional deduction for misc. tips. Tip money is included in the $41/day ME&I rate.

Once again I would hope your local council is reimbursing you for out of pocket money while doing their business.

Carl may represent you but you alone are responsible for the fines and penalties if he is wrong.

Nah, I don't get reimbursted for hardly anything. The only thing is for trip loss due to scheduling committee stuff or for a conference. Otherwise I just play it smart. If I have a union meeting at night I put a trip on my schedule the next day so I can deduct it. For 2005 I received no reimbursment from ALPA. I supposed I could but my cell cost around 1400 a year. That would just about wipe my jumpseat budget out for the year.

As far as tips go, I'm not tipping for the van driver to be there....I'm tipping because he was on time...... There apparently is a difference. From what I've been told however, hotel maid tips are not included in the ME%I rates.

This type of tax generation system would destroy our economy. To completly replace income tax consumption (sales) tax would have to increase from the current 6-10% to over 40%. With huge tax loads like these (at least percieved tax loads) consumers would seek alternate means of securing the goods they need. The black market would thrive. Floods of Americans would smuggle goods purchased in Canada and Mexico back across the border. Huge amounts of money would pour into international economies while local retailers wither and die.

Hi!

I believe the best 2 alternative are a Value Added Tax (VAT) or a Sales Tax. I would exempt food, clothing and medicine because the poor spend a disproportianate amount of their income on those 3 items.

The sales tax would have to be approximately 20% to cover the loss of the income tax.

There are many rich people who don't pay their fair share of taxes now, and they would when they bought their yachts, airplanes, jewlery, etc.

There are also a lot of criminals who don't pay any tax on their criminal income. With a sales tax they would pay their share.

Other choices, that I don't like as much, would be better than what we have. We could keep the same tax brackets, and just tax ALL monies incoming, with no deductions or exemptions. We could switch to a flat tax on all incoming monies, with no deductions or exemptions.

I'm sick and tired of spending hours and hours doing my taxes, knowing all the while that their are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people out there that aren't paying anywhere near their share of taxes.

Also, it pisses me off how much money our country spends on income taxes, that could be going to much more important things than accounting.

Cliff
YIP

The last place I'd look for advice is here.
Go to a real CPA specializing in airline crew tax prep. I use pilot-tax.com to prepare my Form 2106. That gets handed to my regular CPA who does the rest of our returns. Our taxes are a bit too complicated for me to handle plus I'd rather just pay a professional than make pretend I'm an expert on tax issues.

Latest resources

Back