Tax Write Offs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skychicken

Hey, I was just doing my taxes and trying to make itemized deductions worth doing and was just wondering what everybody uses for write offs in case I forgot something.

write off your cable bill, tell them you watch the weather channel so that you know what you will be flying in

Mortage interest
Property tax
Sales Tax
Per-diem
Aviation publications
Job search costs
business/networking meals (not at work)
Education
Hair cuts
donations

Just for information, a tax court ruled a few years back that an airline pilot can't deduct haircuts, because the average person gets their haircut anyway. Not saying I agree with it, but it's something that I don't deduct anymore.

Some more ideas though:
all uniforms
cleaning of uniforms
shoes or repair
union dues
crew bags
headsets or repair

blackbox said:
write off your cable bill, tell them you watch the weather channel so that you know what you will be flying in

That's right, deduct the cable bill, then you can also write off the $10,000 plasma screen TV to watch The Weather Channel.

And don't forget to deduct the high speed internet that you use 1 hour each month to bid.

Last edited:
FWIW, you only get 70% of the difference between what you were paid in perdiem and what the dot says you should be paid in various cities. Also, do a search about computers and the irs. You will find a recent case that rules out the option of deducting the cost/depreciation of a computer and your monthly internet charge.

You only get to have these deductions if you file a Schedule C (or itemized deductions.) And you only file the Schedule C if your deductions are more than the standard (single or married) deduction. So, if you're a single poor guy with no mortgage, you probably won't have more then the single deduction in expenses anyway. So you won't get to deduct this stuff.

If you moved for a job or new domicle, you can take those expenses as a deduction off the top (from your gross wages- and not itemized.) Oh- union dues are also deductible.

Might be worth H&R Block to get it figured out this year, then do it yourself after that.

skychicken said:
Is it possible to write off your crashpad???

No. Nor can you write off commuting expenses.

I use these guys ... http://www.pilot-tax.com

If you're cheap, use them once and keep their organizer for future reference.

"Cockpit supplies" can mean anything: batteries, flashlights ...

Hi!

U could write off your computer, etc. but only to the extent that you use it for your flying-job search, etc. So, if you use your computer 80% personal/20% flying-U can depreciate/deduct 20% of the cost.

The Schedule C is if you have a business-nothing to do with Schedule A deductions. For example, if you take photos while flying and sell them to whomever, you can put all the costs/income related to your flying photography on your Schedule C. THe rule is, it has to be a legitimate business and you have to be "trying" to make a profit. If it's a hobby-no dice.

You don't have to actually make a profit, just be trying. I used to do
a Volleyball business on my own. I did it about 7 years. I made a profit 2 years, and lost for 5. Overall, I save a LOT in taxes.

Realize that if U do this, you have to show any income/profits on your Schedule C and you might owe MORE in the years U made a profit.

Woodworking, gun cleaning/MX, writing, coaching clinics, PR-there are tons of jobs you can do on the side and use a Schedule C.

Cliff
YIP

PS-Flashlights, sunglasses, calculator, etc., all travel expenses not covered by your company-commuting expenses when you're sent TDY by your airline (training, TDY to another base, etc.)

Latest resources

Back