Tales from my NJA interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grump,

Did you ever come over to the Collins 800? I remember when I was hired a year ago you mentioned that you were trying to. Just curious. By the way, I LOVE the airplane, it's a joy to fly, and the trips are pretty good.
Nope, not yet. With the 900s coming soon and the differences pay, it'll be going very senior for quite some time.

Nope, not yet. With the 900s coming soon and the differences pay, it'll be going very senior for quite some time.

How many total 900s are coming and when are the first couple expected on the line? Also, what's the latest time estimate on the Hawker 4000s?

bosdrx,

I'm an IOE training captain in the X. I'd say IOE is going a lot faster now than it was in the past. That being said, things were so slow in the past (some folks waiting close to 6 months!:eek: ) that 'going fast' is relative. I don't believe anyone is waiting more than 2 months now, and most are going a good deal faster than that.

IOE is easy, and we instructors are going to help you in any way we can. Show up prepared and with a solid understanding of the basics (SOP's, aircraft systems) and the rest will fall right into place. Ask lots of questions. That's what we're here for. Myself and the other IOE instructors will be happy to answer ANYTHING you want or need to know about our operations, from techniques in the plane to how to fill out expense reports. Our job is to get you up to speed on NJA's day-to-day ops on the road, not give you a week-long checkride.

As a new guy, you may be a little intimidated by some of the A-teamer captains that others have mentioned. You know, the ones who NEVER call fatigued or will be happy to fly without a meal for an entire day. DO NOT let them push you into doing something unsafe! If you are tired, then call fatigued. There is no penalty. Not even for new folks on probation. If you haven't eaten and your feeling the effects, then insist on food, either crew food or go get a meal. If you feel like the guy you're flying with isn't backing you up on these issues, then step off to the side and call a union steward. You WILL be accomodated.

The good news is that most of the captains are great guys (and gals) to fly with. A truly good bunch.

As for the X, I've been flying it since we first got them. Good airplane. It has it's problems, but don't all aircraft? Yeah, this fleet works hard, but it makes the time on the road go by faster. Plus, you'll get to see a lot more diverse selection of destinations in the X than a lot of the smaller planes. Just keep in mind that it's the same in every fleet that when I say 'get to see a lot more diverse destinations' you may only be seeing that location's airport, or a quick ten hours at the hotel. I've done a number of Hawaii trips, and almost all have had me closing up the plane as the sun went down and being back at the plane the next day as the sun was coming up. I don't enjoy midnight beach time so I don't get too excited about being briefed for a Hawaii trip.

One last pointer, make sure you have at least a rudimentary understanding of our contract before you start IOE and carry it with you on the road. It can be your best friend at times.

Welcome aboard!!

Interview coming up. I went on www.aviationinterviews.com and the first thing I read is that flight safety asks for $400 for the interview. Is this old and I seriously doubt that it is true.

Then they want money to see the new gouge on the website. What kind of BS is this. They get people to give the information to them for free and then ask for money to distribute it.

Anybody got some better gouge. For the technical part of the interview what do you need to know?

I went on aviationinterviews and I don't see that one but you are the second person that has asked about that so it must be on there somewhere. UNTRUE! They pay for everything and will even get you breakfast and lunch on the second day of your interview. This is not some half-assed regional job, we try to do things the right way.

I went on aviationinterviews and I don't see that one but you are the second person that has asked about that so it must be on there somewhere. UNTRUE! They pay for everything and will even get you breakfast and lunch on the second day of your interview. This is not some half-assed regional job, we try to do things the right way.

Netjets is better than "most" major jobs in my opinion. Sure, Fedex and UPS probably can't be beat for money and job security. But Netjets offers great pay, great variety, union protection (not a merit-based position with subjective policies), a mix of different types of schedules, nicer and, in some cases, more advanced equipment to fly.

I would expect the low-cost airline sector will eventually become a blood-bath as costs continue to rise and prices continue to fall due to increased competition and capacity (SWA is adding 40 more 737s this year and AirTran has 70 737s on firm order). Those new airplanes have to be put somewhere and they will continue to put pressures on yields and profits.

For pilots I think Netjets offers a great hedge because it is number one in its high-end sector (market share) and normal airline travel is becoming a worse and worse experience for business/wealthy travelers - thus making it far more attractive and providing further growth opportunities. Hey, I'd apply myself if I didn't already like my corporate gig.

bosdrx,

I'm an IOE training captain in the X. I'd say IOE is going a lot faster now than it was in the past. That being said, things were so slow in the past (some folks waiting close to 6 months!:eek: ) that 'going fast' is relative. I don't believe anyone is waiting more than 2 months now, and most are going a good deal faster than that.

IOE is easy, and we instructors are going to help you in any way we can. Show up prepared and with a solid understanding of the basics (SOP's, aircraft systems) and the rest will fall right into place. Ask lots of questions. That's what we're here for. Myself and the other IOE instructors will be happy to answer ANYTHING you want or need to know about our operations, from techniques in the plane to how to fill out expense reports. Our job is to get you up to speed on NJA's day-to-day ops on the road, not give you a week-long checkride.

As a new guy, you may be a little intimidated by some of the A-teamer captains that others have mentioned. You know, the ones who NEVER call fatigued or will be happy to fly without a meal for an entire day. DO NOT let them push you into doing something unsafe! If you are tired, then call fatigued. There is no penalty. Not even for new folks on probation. If you haven't eaten and your feeling the effects, then insist on food, either crew food or go get a meal. If you feel like the guy you're flying with isn't backing you up on these issues, then step off to the side and call a union steward. You WILL be accomodated.

The good news is that most of the captains are great guys (and gals) to fly with. A truly good bunch.

As for the X, I've been flying it since we first got them. Good airplane. It has it's problems, but don't all aircraft? Yeah, this fleet works hard, but it makes the time on the road go by faster. Plus, you'll get to see a lot more diverse selection of destinations in the X than a lot of the smaller planes. Just keep in mind that it's the same in every fleet that when I say 'get to see a lot more diverse destinations' you may only be seeing that location's airport, or a quick ten hours at the hotel. I've done a number of Hawaii trips, and almost all have had me closing up the plane as the sun went down and being back at the plane the next day as the sun was coming up. I don't enjoy midnight beach time so I don't get too excited about being briefed for a Hawaii trip.

One last pointer, make sure you have at least a rudimentary understanding of our contract before you start IOE and carry it with you on the road. It can be your best friend at times.

Welcome aboard!!

Well they just let me go home a day and haly early. This is the 3rd tour I've spent sitting in the hotel in Dallas waiting for scheds to get it together. :smash:

I only need 3 more landings to be done w/ IOE, but here I am six months after hire date and still trying to get it finished. Oh well, at least its Hilton Points.

All else you said is right on Realityman, based on the 3 tours I actually did fly! :eek:

Well they just let me go home a day and haly early. This is the 3rd tour I've spent sitting in the hotel in Dallas waiting for scheds to get it together. :smash:

I only need 3 more landings to be done w/ IOE, but here I am six months after hire date and still trying to get it finished. Oh well, at least its Hilton Points.

All else you said is right on Realityman, based on the 3 tours I actually did fly! :eek:

Is the flying in the Ultra/Encore fleet slowing down while other fleet flying is picking up? What's the deal? I know a guy on the Ultra who is not flying much either.

Is the flying in the Ultra/Encore fleet slowing down while other fleet flying is picking up? What's the deal? I know a guy on the Ultra who is not flying much either.

I suppose so. My sim partner manged to get his IOE done in one tour, but he said that he has been sitting alot as well. Also, the FMs keep telling me that they are short IOE PICs. Sounds like a failure to plan ahead for the hiring. What do I know though? This too will pass...(tick tock tick tock the seniority clock). Nice to see new airplanes starting to showup though.

Latest resources

Back