• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tales from my NJA interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm just curious how you became the expert on life at NJA.

Grump,

One of my best friends is on the X at Netjets and I speak with him every other day or so. I have another good squadron buddy on the XL/S and he fills me in on everything as well. It's almost as good as being there myself. Do I know everything? Nope. Do I have a pretty good idea? Yes.

That said, I realize that certain aspects of life at Netjets are different for different pilots. Some pilots couldn't care less what they fly - they just live for their time off (work to live vs. live to work). That's fine and I would say that is pretty pervasive nowadays. Others at Netjets really enjoy their airplanes, their wide variety of destinations ("enjoy visiting new airfields and exotic destinations") and their schedule. I just think that people tend to generalize too much - just because you might not like your airplane or your busy schedule doesn't mean that others would necessarily agree. To each his own I guess...

What I do know is that Netjets is very different from 121 flying and, with its benefits/comp package, fleet variety and 7/7 schedule, it has a lot to offer. Now, if it could just improve its domicile policy....

You will work at NJA as hard as you let them. Very simple.

I have nothing to prove anymore, so when I get tired, I drop the axe. I don't like what I see, I delay. To many bags, we ship them. We are actually given the tools to be actual Captains. Hard to believe but it is true. Some guys just have no balls and like being the @itch. Oh and don't think that as a newhire FO you don't have the same tools. If you are right, you will be supported!

Welcome.

You will work at NJA as hard as you let them. Very simple.

I have nothing to prove anymore, so when I get tired, I drop the axe. I don't like what I see, I delay. To many bags, we ship them. We are actually given the tools to be actual Captains. Hard to believe but it is true. Some guys just have no balls and like being the @itch. Oh and don't think that as a newhire FO you don't have the same tools. If you are right, you will be supported!

Welcome.

Good post.

Grump,

Did you ever come over to the Collins 800? I remember when I was hired a year ago you mentioned that you were trying to. Just curious. By the way, I LOVE the airplane, it's a joy to fly, and the trips are pretty good.

Grump,

Did you ever come over to the Collins 800? I remember when I was hired a year ago you mentioned that you were trying to. Just curious. By the way, I LOVE the airplane, it's a joy to fly, and the trips are pretty good.

Now that's a good reason why it can be important to get assigned a nice or "preferrable" aircraft as a newbie FO at Netjets. If you are going to be an FO for 3-5 years anyway, it might as well be in an airplane you enjoy and appreciate. That's great to hear. I would hate to be assigned a crapbox and then not look forward to those long duty days for my first 5 years...

I've heard the 800XPC is a real nice aircraft to fly - nice Pro Line 21 system up front that makes your job a lot easier at times...

Last edited:
Now that's a good reason why it can be important to get assigned a nice or "preferrable" aircraft as a newbie FO at Netjets. If you are going to be an FO for 3-5 years anyway, it might as well be in an airplane you enjoy and appreciate. That's great to hear. I would hate to be assigned a crapbox and then not look forward to those long duty days for my first 5 years...

I've heard the 800XPC is a real nice aircraft to fly - nice Pro Line 21 system up front that makes your job a lot easier at times...

After your two year seat lock you are welcome to bid FO on any vacancies that show up. Many of the FO vacancies go unfilled by current pilots and are passed onto new hires.

I've run into a number of new hires who feel that if they are going to be right seat for up to 5 years they might as well bid into another a/c, namely the Falcon 2000, and sit right seat there. One of the easiest jobs in the Company.

I don't blame them. Beautiful airplane, nice type rating and you won't be doing much flying for 2 years based on the inefficiencies within the training department as far as IOE goes.

I've run into a number of new hires who feel that if they are going to be right seat for up to 5 years they might as well bid into another a/c, namely the Falcon 2000, and sit right seat there. One of the easiest jobs in the Company.

I don't blame them. Beautiful airplane, nice type rating and you won't be doing much flying for 2 years based on the inefficiencies within the training department as far as IOE goes.

I have also noticed many new hires leaving and getting hired at Somali Air to fly their new DC3 on floats. Once they do the crossing, they take the floats off for their arrival into Mogadishu....pick up more Somalis and bring em back to Maine. The Dc3 in itself are for the many goats, chickens, pigs and other various animals that need to come along for the haul too. The pilots do have to go through limited veterenarian training prior to IOE. They will be board certified and receive specialty verterenarian medical training (to include surgery) for goats, llamas and alpacas. They clear customs right at 3B5.....Mike Twicthell is working as the customs/border patrol agent now as well and Dotty is working as an immigration offficer. So that makes things easier. Once the Somalis are offloaded at 3B5, they are greeted with a lobstah dinnah and some fresh native Bangor blue berry cake. The pilots are also entitled to this wonderful dinner as well. Pay is 45 and hour with a 60 hour guarantee and a minimum of 350 dollars for any surgery performed is paid in full. No training contract either....all around, it sounds like a great deal.

Last edited:
Rocker....you really need to get yourself back home. Those T-storms and tornado warnings have caused you to short circuit.

Yeah I was totally lost on that last one... I'm glad it wasnt just me....

Hey, how long is that wait for OE these days? I heard it was going fast. Any truth to that?

Latest resources

Back