• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Take care of yourselves out there...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is the FARs vs. the need for mental health help. You can't go see a shrink without encountering a whole bunch of flak from the FAA (including the possiblity of having the ole medical revoked and not having an income stream as a result). So it is a choice of:

a) Don't get the help that you need so that you don't have to lie on the FAA medical form.
b) Get the help, but not put it on the FAA medical form (and break a FAR in the process)
c) Get the help that you need, report it to the FAA, and risk having to find a non-flying job

None of these are great choices. My understanding is that a pilot can see a mental health "counselor" and not report it to the FAA. Maybe we need more shrinks to call themselves counselors instead of doctors.

It seems that there should be a better way to at least determine the extent of the problem. I think that an independent organization should be set up based on the NASA aviation saftey reporting system (anonomous) so that pilots who need help can get it without completely risking their career (there will be exceptions, of course) and the extent of the problem can be measured and understood.

It just doesn't seem to be working very well now.

RideTheWind wrote: "What the hell does "hung himself in a hotel a couple of nights ago on a highspeed" mean?"

"Hung himself" - Means suicide. He tied some sort of device around his neck and cut off air-flow to his vital organs, and asphyxiated.

"in a hotel" - Means a temporary residence for hire usually characterized by multiple small, attached rooms.

"a couple of nights ago" - Means the Earth has rotated completely about it's axis at least twice since the incident occured.

"on a high speed" - Means he was not on a very long layover. Typically, a "high speed" is a late-night flight to an out-station with a short (3-7 hours...less than the minimum "rest") layover, followed by another flight in the morning. Since the layover is considered a "break in duty" and not a full-fledged layover, it is usually called something unique in each airline's vernacular. "High Speed's" "Stand-Up's" "CDO's" "Illegal's" "Icky Thingy's" "I wish I was more Senior's" "Loretta"

On another note: We have something in common! My screen name on another Forum is "BreakTheWind". We might have had the same Dad!

Brother!

I agree 110% with what RockyMnt said, for some very personal reasons, and I will leave it at that.

Does anyone have the name of the Comair pilot?

Occam's Razor said:
On another note: We have something in common! My screen name on another Forum is "BreakTheWind". We might have had the same Dad!
No, just the same mom.

As far as I am aware the family wont get _any_ insurance benefits for a suicide also...suicide is only for people who only have regard for themself.

Occam's Razor said:
FN FAL: "No, just the same mom."

Um...that's not how it works.
Sure it does...in your post, you just said you were brothers, not biological twins. Do the math. I'm not proud, you and your half brother can call me "Poppi"...even if one of you is mix-ogenated.

WIPilot said:
As far as I am aware the family wont get _any_ insurance benefits for a suicide also...suicide is only for people who only have regard for themself.
Actually, insurance companies can protect themselves with a suicide clause. If I'm not mistaken, that protection only lasts so long...like two years. Check your local laws.

Is The Company Required To Pay Death Benefits If The Insured Commits Suicide?

Suicide is not covered during an initial period of a year or two years which is stated in the policy’s suicide clause. After the policy has been in force for more than this period, suicide is covered just like any other death.

My wife's sister is a born again and when she told us about a suicide in the church, she smiled when she said that the family wouldn't get any money because the death was a suicide...which is kind of funny, because it would seem odd that my sister in law would know when the policy went into effect or what the clauses were in the policy. But you never know...

Last edited:
suicide is only for people who only have regard for themself.

Have a little respect for the dead dumbass. You weren't in his shoes, so take your higher than mightly crap and take it elsewhere.

It's true!!!...

... there really are some quality people left in the world. Come on people, make a difference! Don't give in to the dark side, it only leads to hate.

cheers fly_chick, pm me and I'll comp you a bev of your choice.

Fly_Chick said:
Smile at a stranger, ask someone how their day is going (and listen to the answer), compliment someone on something they have done, wave to someone across the field whom you have not seen in a while, offer up the extra two cents for someone at the checkout who is fumbling for change. All too often we forget how the little things we do can mean so much.

Latest resources

Back