• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T38 Student doesnt turn heat off vid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Catfish your story reminds me of an Approach article I read of a dude on a Hornet FCF that had the same problem off the cat. ECS went runaway hot and he couldn't do anything about it. By the time they got the deck clear and the ship pulled ahead, and him in the groove, he'd been cooking for quite a few minutes and said the ambient temp in the cockpit had to be between 160 and 180 degrees. He almost lost consciousness from heat exhaustion. Not a position I'd like to be in at the start of the groove.

Hi!

I found (in UPT-H and UPT) that some of the FAIPs, I'm assuming because they didn't have much experience, tended to overcompensate for their insecurity by berating/being overbearing to the students.

I think almost all the IPs who came off a real-world assignment had more patience and were more laid back. I'm assuming it's because they had seen more, and perceived student errors didn't seem as major to them as the FAIPs.

I think UPT would be a lot better if there were no FAIPs and they took all the instructors after at least one tour in a real airframe.

Note: I went through UPT at Vance as a Capt via FWQ, so it was different for us. We had mostly experienced IPs and not many FAIPs.

Cliff
YIP
FWQ Vance Summer 1989-Spring 1990.

Don't be too hard on the IP for yelling.

Maybe the IP ate something bad and was doing the thai pinch in the back seat hoping he's not gonna have a colon blow and the heat goes bonkers and well you know what can happen...

Last edited:
atpcliff said:
Hi!

I found (in UPT-H and UPT) that some of the FAIPs, I'm assuming because they didn't have much experience, tended to overcompensate for their insecurity by berating/being overbearing to the students.

I think almost all the IPs who came off a real-world assignment had more patience and were more laid back. I'm assuming it's because they had seen more, and perceived student errors didn't seem as major to them as the FAIPs.

I think UPT would be a lot better if there were no FAIPs and they took all the instructors after at least one tour in a real airframe.

Note: I went through UPT at Vance as a Capt via FWQ, so it was different for us. We had mostly experienced IPs and not many FAIPs.

Cliff
YIP
FWQ Vance Summer 1989-Spring 1990.

The IP in this incident was a Lt Col...not a FAIP. I don't see how this has anything else to do with FAIPs. So what gives?

...although I won't argue with you about how AETC shouldn't use 'em. I'd be in a fighter right now. :sigh:

Hi!

The FAIP thing doesn't have anything directly to do w/ the overheat situation-just an idea that I think would improve the pilot training at UPT.

CLiff
YIP

Huggyu2 said:
Good point. As an A-model pilot, that's kind of interesting how the tape makes it sound so quiet, yet we all know that the A/C is cranking out beaucoup heat AND noise.
So, just so I understand: even though the heater is "blowing hot and dry", you won't hear it on the tape, right?

comm and avionics. Unless you drop your mask and key the mic. You may hear the engines whine a little in the background.

Also, when you turn the pitot heat on in the "Chuck" you can hear a slight tone. So if you ask stan if the pitot heat is on and and he says yes, then you hear the faded tone, you know he just turned it on.
Then I'd hook him for lying to me. :uzi:

Whether the IP was a pr!ck or not, the video was freakin' hilarious. The IP was so worked up, and the student was so clueless.

I suppose it's so funny to me because I was that student many times.

How's the saying go?

If you want to see really smart people doing really dumb things, become a Training Command Instructor.

Latest resources

Back