T/O And Landing Dist / Thrust Reversers

Smoked Toilet

18 AT LAST!
Joined
May 18, 2004
Posts
117
Total Time
Part 121 question:

Need a little help here guys. It's been a long time since I've looked at this and don't have a FAR available.

What criteria are used when determining t/o and landing distance. Are thrust reversers used in the numbers, or do I understand it correctly that they are only used in calculations on Contaminated runways for t/o?


Thanks in advance,
S~T
 

Rogue5

Adult Swim junkie
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Posts
882
Total Time
~5k
No T/R performance used in performance calculations, although anti-skid perf. is factored in.

If you check the performance tables you'll see a performance hit for one or more anti-skid channels INOP, but no performance hit for one or more T/Rs gone Tango Uniform...
 

180ToTheMarker

12 months of October
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Posts
658
Total Time
10K
I think the FARs require that you be able to stop within 60% of the runway length without T/Rs.
 

avpro91

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Posts
205
Total Time
7000+
Yup, no T/R included in the calculations
 

Tarzan

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Posts
2,073
Total Time
.
You are correct about the contaminated RW surface except it was called "slippery". I think.
 

homerjdispatch

Gods gift to dispatch
Joined
Jul 21, 2003
Posts
1,250
Total Time
a lot
Rogue5 said:
No T/R performance used in performance calculations, although anti-skid perf. is factored in.

If you check the performance tables you'll see a performance hit for one or more anti-skid channels INOP, but no performance hit for one or more T/Rs gone Tango Uniform...
Actually here a OO dispatch we do all performance numbers for takeoff having TR factored in. If a TR is deferred there is a penalty that is applied to your performance #'s for takeoff... landing is a different story. Call dispatch sometime and have them run the numbers for T.O performance on a short field with and without TR. You will see a huge difference at some cities.
 

aewanabe

Somewhat Exasperated User
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
556
Total Time
8200
Trs DO count.... sometimes

It's a common misperception that TRs never count for performance. If you read the takeoff performance section of part 121 (don't have it in front of me right now) it states that manufacturers are able to use TRs for performance calculations for contaminated/wet runway takeoffs only (think accelerate-stop distance).
 

oldskoolbronco2

positive rate, pantz down
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Posts
41
Total Time
2900
Smoked Toilet said:
Part 121 question:

Need a little help here guys. It's been a long time since I've looked at this and don't have a FAR available.

What criteria are used when determining t/o and landing distance. Are thrust reversers used in the numbers, or do I understand it correctly that they are only used in calculations on Contaminated runways for t/o?


Thanks in advance,
S~T
oh come on Yoder even knows this one! Wussy
 

Oakum_Boy

supercalifragilistic
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
2,405
Total Time
24
aewanabe said:
It's a common misperception that TRs never count for performance. If you read the takeoff performance section of part 121 (don't have it in front of me right now) it states that manufacturers are able to use TRs for performance calculations for contaminated/wet runway takeoffs only (think accelerate-stop distance).

You sound like management. Who exactly has this 'common' misconception?
 

aewanabe

Somewhat Exasperated User
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
556
Total Time
8200
Oakum_Boy said:
You sound like management. Who exactly has this 'common' misconception?
WTF does mgmt have to do with this? See responses 2-4 in the thread.
 
Top