T/O And Landing Dist / Thrust Reversers

Smoked Toilet

18 AT LAST!
Total Time
Part 121 question:

Need a little help here guys. It's been a long time since I've looked at this and don't have a FAR available.

What criteria are used when determining t/o and landing distance. Are thrust reversers used in the numbers, or do I understand it correctly that they are only used in calculations on Contaminated runways for t/o?

Thanks in advance,
S~T

Rogue5

Adult Swim junkie
Total Time
~5k
No T/R performance used in performance calculations, although anti-skid perf. is factored in.

If you check the performance tables you'll see a performance hit for one or more anti-skid channels INOP, but no performance hit for one or more T/Rs gone Tango Uniform...

180ToTheMarker

12 months of October
Total Time
I think the FARs require that you be able to stop within 60% of the runway length without T/Rs.

avpro91

Total Time
7000+
Yup, no T/R included in the calculations

Tarzan

Total Time
You are correct about the contaminated RW surface except it was called "slippery". I think.

homerjdispatch

Gods gift to dispatch
Total Time
a lot
Rogue5 said:
No T/R performance used in performance calculations, although anti-skid perf. is factored in.

If you check the performance tables you'll see a performance hit for one or more anti-skid channels INOP, but no performance hit for one or more T/Rs gone Tango Uniform...
Actually here a OO dispatch we do all performance numbers for takeoff having TR factored in. If a TR is deferred there is a penalty that is applied to your performance #'s for takeoff... landing is a different story. Call dispatch sometime and have them run the numbers for T.O performance on a short field with and without TR. You will see a huge difference at some cities.

aewanabe

Somewhat Exasperated User
Total Time
Trs DO count.... sometimes

It's a common misperception that TRs never count for performance. If you read the takeoff performance section of part 121 (don't have it in front of me right now) it states that manufacturers are able to use TRs for performance calculations for contaminated/wet runway takeoffs only (think accelerate-stop distance).

oldskoolbronco2

positive rate, pantz down
Total Time
Smoked Toilet said:
Part 121 question:

Need a little help here guys. It's been a long time since I've looked at this and don't have a FAR available.

What criteria are used when determining t/o and landing distance. Are thrust reversers used in the numbers, or do I understand it correctly that they are only used in calculations on Contaminated runways for t/o?

Thanks in advance,
S~T
oh come on Yoder even knows this one! Wussy

Oakum_Boy

supercalifragilistic
Total Time
aewanabe said:
It's a common misperception that TRs never count for performance. If you read the takeoff performance section of part 121 (don't have it in front of me right now) it states that manufacturers are able to use TRs for performance calculations for contaminated/wet runway takeoffs only (think accelerate-stop distance).

You sound like management. Who exactly has this 'common' misconception?

aewanabe

Somewhat Exasperated User
Total Time
Oakum_Boy said:
You sound like management. Who exactly has this 'common' misconception?
WTF does mgmt have to do with this? See responses 2-4 in the thread.