• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smoked Toilet

18 AT LAST!
Part 121 question:

Need a little help here guys. It's been a long time since I've looked at this and don't have a FAR available.

What criteria are used when determining t/o and landing distance. Are thrust reversers used in the numbers, or do I understand it correctly that they are only used in calculations on Contaminated runways for t/o?

Thanks in advance,
S~T

No T/R performance used in performance calculations, although anti-skid perf. is factored in.

If you check the performance tables you'll see a performance hit for one or more anti-skid channels INOP, but no performance hit for one or more T/Rs gone Tango Uniform...

I think the FARs require that you be able to stop within 60% of the runway length without T/Rs.

Rogue5 said:
No T/R performance used in performance calculations, although anti-skid perf. is factored in.

If you check the performance tables you'll see a performance hit for one or more anti-skid channels INOP, but no performance hit for one or more T/Rs gone Tango Uniform...

Actually here a OO dispatch we do all performance numbers for takeoff having TR factored in. If a TR is deferred there is a penalty that is applied to your performance #'s for takeoff... landing is a different story. Call dispatch sometime and have them run the numbers for T.O performance on a short field with and without TR. You will see a huge difference at some cities.

Trs DO count.... sometimes

It's a common misperception that TRs never count for performance. If you read the takeoff performance section of part 121 (don't have it in front of me right now) it states that manufacturers are able to use TRs for performance calculations for contaminated/wet runway takeoffs only (think accelerate-stop distance).

Smoked Toilet said:
Part 121 question:

Need a little help here guys. It's been a long time since I've looked at this and don't have a FAR available.

What criteria are used when determining t/o and landing distance. Are thrust reversers used in the numbers, or do I understand it correctly that they are only used in calculations on Contaminated runways for t/o?

Thanks in advance,
S~T

oh come on Yoder even knows this one! Wussy

aewanabe said:
It's a common misperception that TRs never count for performance. If you read the takeoff performance section of part 121 (don't have it in front of me right now) it states that manufacturers are able to use TRs for performance calculations for contaminated/wet runway takeoffs only (think accelerate-stop distance).

You sound like management. Who exactly has this 'common' misconception?

Oakum_Boy said:
You sound like management. Who exactly has this 'common' misconception?

WTF does mgmt have to do with this? See responses 2-4 in the thread.

Latest resources

Back