• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T-38 incident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why all of the "sts" comments? You aren't robots, you can refrain from using your fighter "cranium," "sts," etc. crap on a message board can't you?

Speaking of the "cranium" crap...what are some of the other stuff the fighter boys/girls (you do have a female T-bird wannabe now...so might as well include them) use...or don't use? We could start a whole thread that would go on and on....

Bring on the flames...sts...

mule said:
Why all of the "sts" comments? You aren't robots, you can refrain from using your fighter "cranium," "sts," etc. crap on a message board can't you?
Sure we could. If we wanted to take the fun out of it.

mule said:
We could start a whole thread that would go on and on....
Go for it. Start one. This thread is about T-38 mishaps.

Fury220 said:
This thread is about T-38 mishaps.
That said, the Navy seems to lose 2-3 T-45's per year with only 2 jet training bases. I'm surprised the AF seems to go much longer between mishaps with as many T-38 (training) bases as you guys have.

SIG600 said:
That said, the Navy seems to lose 2-3 T-45's per year with only 2 jet training bases. I'm surprised the AF seems to go much longer between mishaps with as many T-38 (training) bases as you guys have.
I didn't mean to exclude you guys. I just wanted to prevent a sts pissing contest or something...

Maybe it's due to the single engine nature of the T-45? It's also a newer aircraft. We lost tons of T-38s in its earlier years, but it's since calmed down as we've learned it's Mx quirks and bad tendencies of its pilots. I assume it would be the same way with the Goshawk.

Ya that could be it, the incidents I know of were a majority birds getting sucked into THE engine, and ground handleing issues of the jet leading to runway departures/ejections.

Terp737 said:
I remember that one. The IP was a former student of mine. I guess I didn't teach him how to clear! Good guy. The cessna landed on 1604 minus one engine. Everyone in both acft unscathed.

That happened just before I arrived at LAFB. The student on that T-38 flight ended up coming back to LAFB as a T-38 instructor some years later. It was a couple of years I was working with him before I found out he was that guy! Good flyer...guess ejecting didn't faze him too much!

FastCargo

talondriver said:
There's HUD (C model) video of a near miss with a light aircraft during a PIT low level. The IP is at CBM now. It had maybe two frames showing the encounter danger close.
Yea, talked to those guys the day after that incident happened...can you say 'Holy *&($!!!!' The only reason you can't see if the pilot of the civilian plane was wearing glasses was because of the grain of the HUD video. I am NOT kidding...it was that close.

FastCargo

Last edited:
Fury220 said:
It's also a newer aircraft. We lost tons of T-38s in its earlier years, but it's since calmed down as we've learned it's Mx quirks and bad tendencies of its pilots. I assume it would be the same way with the Goshawk.

That's always been the way of aircraft (or of almost any machine). There are ALWAYS teething problems when new aircraft come out. Designers and engineers have never anticipated all the potential problems an aircraft can have when it finally 'hits the line'. There once was an old saying..."Never fly the 'A' model of anything." It still applies to an extent...

FastCargo

Gee, Mule,... I hope you manage to cheer up and have a Merry Christmas. I didn't think the "sts" would bring you down (sts) so much.

FastCargo said:
Yea, talked to those guys the day after that incident happened...can you say 'Holy *&($!!!!' The only reason you can't see if the pilot of the civilian plane was wearing glasses was because of the grain of the HUD video. I am NOT kidding...it was that close.

FastCargo
Interesting about that video...

If you have the audio up, you can hear a long, noisy transmission over 255.4 JUST before the near-miss. I've noticed that as a trend...there's almost always a distracting factor that diverts aircrew attention when the sh!t hits the fan.

"Dude...let's just go home..." haha. These guys had a little more self-control than I would have with their colorful use of the English language.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back