• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T-38 incident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember that one. The IP was a former student of mine. I guess I didn't teach him how to clear! Good guy. The cessna landed on 1604 minus one engine. Everyone in both acft unscathed.

There's HUD (C model) video of a near miss with a light aircraft during a PIT low level. The IP is at CBM now. It had maybe two frames showing the encounter danger close.

Terp737 said:
I remember that one. The IP was a former student of mine. I guess I didn't teach him how to clear! Good guy. The cessna landed on 1604 minus one engine. Everyone in both acft unscathed.

Yeah, that was Perlman! He went through the canopy and didn't even know it. The 172 pilot was the chief pilot about 4 years ago that that flight school at SAT. Lucky guy!

FastCargo said:
That incident sparked the change to put in T-38 windscreens rated to 400 kts for a 5 lb bird. However, there have been incidents since then where the bird has smashed through the canopy above the windscreen canopy bow.

A couple months ago an IP at Moody took a bird right in the middle of the windscreen over at Townsend range. The glass spidered, but the bird did not penetrate the windscreen (sts).

It's not so much the large, easy to see, single-ship bird that I worry about.

More like the flock of hundred, small, I-won't-see-them-until-a-millisecond-before-impact, dual-engine-FODing kind that's on my mind.

It helps that I'm typically in the rear (sts) with Stanley Birdscreen in the FCP. :)

That T-38 vs. Cessna story is amazing. I can't believe the thing was still controllable with the huge firewall/speed brake AND the aft CG shift.

SIG600 said:
That T-38 vs. Cessna story is amazing. I can't believe the thing was still controllable with the huge firewall/speed brake AND the aft CG shift.
From the hearsay I've heard about the story (and you know how reliable that is...), the Cessna was practically uncontrollable. Due to the CG and airflow changes, it entered a series of stalls and recoveries on its way down, and the IP on board made the most of it.

(Stall...recover...stall...recover...crap pants...stall...recover...stall...recover...land.......change pants before the NTSB arrives.)

More hearsay:
Apparently, he went down (sts) like a falling leaf, with no real control. Also, "it is said" that the battery (or something else heavy) remained attached forward of the firewall, and had it not remained, the aircraft's CG would have been so far aft that they would have not made it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back