Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sandman2122

who's light?
So I come home from a trip and the wife tells me there was a T-38 incident/accident out of Laughlin. I can't verify this anywhere on the internet - anyone hear about this? If not, I going beat the living h#ll out of that wo........um, I'll talk to her about it.

Crew okay

Caught the news tonight. T-38 crew out of Laughlin had a bird strike and both guys ejected okay. Happened east of Laughlin, near Bracketville.

Huggyu2 said:
Are they in C-models yet? Any names?

Laughlin got it's last C model a couple of months ago. ENJJPT and the Navy TPS '38s are the only ones going through the Boeing barn now.

My question is: was it a PMP jet? And how many birds can you fit in those intakes???

Do they have birds down at Del Rio? There's nothing else there. I guess there must be, there's a lake there, from what I'm told. Must have been a big one. Did it go through the windscreen, or take a wing out? I hope the guys are ok. Not many SPs have an ejection at UPT.
And how many birds can you fit in those intakes
Perhaps a Swallow, North African of course. :laugh:

The Major is laid up at Brooks Army Medical in San Antonio, non-life threatening injuries. The SP was checked out at Laughlin's clinic...don't know if he was released yet.

The IP was a friend of mine I used to fly with down at Laughlin as a reservist. Lots of stick time in the 38.

Birds? Yeah, there are a few...turkey vultures. They're the perfect type to take out a T-38. Big, slow, and like to hang around in flocks right around .5 to 1k AGL. Back in the early 90s, one killed a T-38 front seater when it came through the front windscreen. The incident happened near Abilene, TX and the rear seater (former roomie at the zoo) flew it to Dyess and landed. That incident sparked the change to put in T-38 windscreens rated to 400 kts for a 5 lb bird. However, there have been incidents since then where the bird has smashed through the canopy above the windscreen canopy bow.

Y'all be careful out there!

FastCargo

why no info in the newspaper article on the T-38 class A in '86 (dual ejection on student's dollar ride) and they made an error on the Spofford crash (it was a T-37). Any others to report?

The 38 that had a midair with a 172 in San Antonio sometime around 90 or 91. 38 crew ejected, 172 landed in a field, or maybe on a road, even though everything forward of the firewall except the battery was gone.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back