• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mugs

Southwest's Slow Slide
Friday January 21, 2:34 pm ET
By Bill Mann

One of the investing habits I have is tracking the financial performance for companies over long periods of time. It's relatively easy to see how companies have done over the last two or three years -- you need only to pull the most recent 10-K. Some companies, such as Coca-Cola (NYSE: KO - News), put in financial information that goes back a decade -- which can be tremendously helpful in determining how well the company has deployed its capital for long periods of time. I wish more companies did this.

I've updated my numbers on Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - News) -- which, to its credit, gives financial information for the last five years in its 10-K -- following its earnings report earlier in the week. For some unknown reason (let's go out on a limb and call it laziness), I hadn't updated its financial information for two years prior. I have to say that I'm somewhat shocked at how some of the financial statistics at Southwest have declined over the longer term.

I'd say that this is a function of oil prices, but this isn't entirely it. Southwest, which has prided itself (rightfully) on its frugal nature, has seen a steady rise in the amount of total revenues that are consumed paying salaries, wages, and benefits. In 1998, salaries accounted for 30.8% of revenues; in 2004, that number was 37.4%, with the amount consumed gradually increasing during that span. If you count on just the most recent 10-K, you might not see the longer-term degradation here, since you get only 2004, 2003, and 2002, when salaries consumed 33.4%.

You can see the impact of this directly on the operating income line. For 2004, operating revenues for Southwest were $554 million, or 8.5% of total sales. In 1998, the company generated operating revenues of $683 million for an operating margin of more than 16%. So while Southwest has generated substantially more revenue in 2004 than in 1998, it generated less operating profit.

The degradation gets even more extreme when you work from the high point of Southwest's operating profitability: 2000. In that year, the company's operating profit was $1.02 billion on revenues of $5.64 billion, a margin of 18%. Yes, 2001 was a dislocative event for the entire airline industry, but Southwest's 2003 and 2004 results were worse than those in 2001.

We could point to salary creep (or head-count creep) as a direct factor, but really all of Southwest has become less efficient from an operating perspective. In 2001, the company's operating expenses consumed 88.6% of revenue, while in 2005 they consume 91.4%. And again, it's not like 2001 was a bellwether year: In 1998, operations consumed only 83.6%.

For shareholders, this trend is worrying. Southwest, along with its discount brethren JetBlue (Nasdaq: JBLU - News) and AirTran (NYSE: AAI - News), have absolutely tortured the legacy airlines with their low-cost structures. But those costs, at Southwest, at least, seem to be creeping higher. Perhaps this is a sign that the best low-hanging-fruit routes have been plucked; perhaps it's a natural outcropping of an aging employee base that demands more money (again, rightfully so). But the long-term trend for Southwest is pretty ominous.

See also:

Southwest Airlines' Competitive Edge
Southwest CEO Ignores Analysts
Bill Mann owns none of the companies mentioned in this article. JetBlue is a selection in the Motley Fool Stock Advisor newsletter.

I guess this makes Southwest the first of the Legacy Low Cost Carriers or LLCCs.

What a surprise- an airline that was doing better in 1998 than in 2004.

I wonder if he'll compare the 1998 to 2004 performance of tech stocks next?

blah blah blah..I'm a talking head...blah blah blah...I'm a reporter...blah blah blah...I'm an expert..blah blah blah..I've discovered the GREAT UNTOLD TRUTH..blah blah blah..

Attention Mr. Bill Mann:
You are an idiot.
That is all.

Respectfully,
The rest of the world.

Truth is, sport, if the "long-term trend for Southwest is pretty ominous" then the ENTIRE transportation sector is T O A S T. If SWA can't make it..AIN'T NOBODY GONNA GET OUT ALIVE.

But then again I never wuz smart enough fer all that ther book lernin

**Edited because even IeSpell cannot make up for the deficiencies of a public education**

Last edited:
SWA slow slide hey? They're sliding slow alright, so slow that they are going forward...........AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE!!!!:p

How could their costs be going up? This guy I had in the jumpseat (he is one of thoes guys "in the know"; probibly from the training department) said they aren't paying for their airplanes. Some special deal with Boeing or something.

20% Givebacks

Yes, I'm afraid so.

The pilot group will have to take the leadership role at the section 6. If they will take a cut, this will send a message to the rest of the employee groups that the health of the company comes first. There is no blaming mgt for lack of doing an excellent job, it's just a matter of the industry morphing very quickly to match SWA's costs, and Gary said it himself where he sees no relief in the price of fuel. Mgt needs to start communication to SWAPA about the need for 10-15% profit margins now. Cash is low, and possibly could go lower in the next 12 months, but fuel hedge profits and typically strong 2nd/3rd Q should help replenish cash. Hopefully, SWA will not have to get caught up in the borrowing game to build their cash reserves back up.

RASM will not see any appreciable increase in the industry until capacity flattens out. The flying public has gotten used to these ticket prices, and unless someone goes Chapt 7 in the next 24 months, that just is not going to happen. If the DL pricing structure is a failure, then the legacys will fall back to the protection of Chapt 11 to continue with their transformation. Chapt 11 for the legacys will continue to put pressure on the existing LCCs, and may force AWA, Spirit, and Frontier into 11 in the next few years.

Last edited:
lowecur said:
Chapt 11for the legacyswillcontinueto put pressure on the existing LCCs, andmay forceAWA,Spirit, andFrontier into 11 in the next few years.

Maybe, but as you state, Chapter 11 forthelegacyswillput pressure on the the LCC's. I maintain that theproblemis theout of control bankruptcy laws and courts. NK has thelowestnon-fuelcosts inthe industry according to Dr. Jacob Schorr,Presidentand CEO.If the bankruptcy system forces NK into their courts,It'llonly bebecause the government desires to completely breakthenationsairtransportation system.

enigma

Last edited:
Wait a minute, isn't it true that as all of these "high cost pilots" retire and new blood comes in because of expansion and attrition, your "unit costs" come down? Seem this eliminates the need for large pay cuts.

LCC costs go up, legacy carrier costs come down and eventually there will be equalibrium. That's the way markets work.

Latest resources

Back