• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swapa/swa Ta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My biggest issue?....Codeshare. Thats what lots of us are waiting for knowing what that can mean for the future of SWA.

Having said that, we still have some "koolies" out there that are more concerned with their "retro" checks than they are with the codeshare that will affect all of us forever. Stepping over dollars to get a few nickels.

We are staying stagnant, while 2 other carriers see growth by being associated with our name. Kind of a "Brad Pitt-Roseanne Barr" marriage, if you will.

This is not sitting well with lots of us.

While I do enjoy my job here...I also realize that this is no longer Herb's airline. Gary has been running the show for a long time, and it is different. Some of the pilots here have not yet realized that.

While Herb had a way of rallying the troops in the hard times, some of what I heard from Gary in his recent MTF's, disappointed me.

Herb made us want to go to war for him...Gary makes us want to hide in the closet and put a blanket over our heads...and hope for the best.

Hopefully I am wrong...but thats what I see. Hopefully Gary proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Not handy but give me a day or two and I'll find one of many articles in which Mr. Kelly speaks of "growth." He is on record saying WN will have 2 fewer hulls JANUARY 2011 than we do today. That's not good news for poolies and absolutely irks me that we are downsizing the fleet as we announce codeshare.

I was trying to be a "good boy" and not vent too loudly on a public forum but since I'm being labeled as a malcontent I might as well let it fly. It can be summed up in one sentence.

Codeshare will kill the Southwest Airlines we know today.

Someone said no to codeshare without triggers. I agree but who controls the triggers and what are they? If it is revenue OR load factor triggers those numbers can be easily manipulated by raising or lowering fares. Then what?

I wasn't trying to rain on your pool party. WN is, IMO, the best airline in the world. I love it here. I don't have fuselage envy, I have job protection and scope worries. Sometimes those emerge as lashing posts to unintended people.

My apologies to you but should know both sides of the story.

Gup

You are right on the money and should be worried. Take it from someone watching my airline UAL being outsourced more and more every day. We all joke that we used to have a place to eat called the United cafeteria at O' Hare. Today it is the RJ crew lounge.

Any money you give up to not have scope is worth it as the airline will stagnate at best. Even Southwest, which has had a history of good employee relations will get in bed with the lowest bidder.

On the bright side you would be able to have lunch in the cafeteria at work with all bright eyed "I can't believe I'm in a jet teenagers.'

We all joke that we used to have a place to eat called the United cafeteria at O' Hare. Today it is the RJ crew lounge.

On the bright side you would be able to have lunch in the cafeteria at work with all bright eyed "I can't believe I'm in a jet teenagers.'

That was me just last year! I enjoyed the mornings eating the omelets in the UA cafeteria. The turkey sandwich and beef stew was a good combo too. As well as all the dirty stares from mainline folks...

That was me just last year! I enjoyed the mornings eating the omelets in the UA cafeteria. The turkey sandwich and beef stew was a good combo too. As well as all the dirty stares from mainline folks...

Just wait till someday when a ER-170 in SWA colors pulls up, or some codeshare from Mexico... It will be just as funny!!!! Don't you think!!!

AA

Mexico sure, but I will bet you anything that our folks won't allow any domestic codeshare.

We've learned from the unfortunate mistakes of others on that.

Mexico sure, but I will bet you anything that our folks won't allow any domestic codeshare.

Bro, how about dialing down the hubris a notch or three. Until we see the final language of this AIP, I wouldn't be so sure about your above two prognostications. As Guppy and T-J mentioned earlier, GK's comments and his shifting positions leave me unconvinced that he's learned ANYTHING from the mistakes of others.

No Codeshare, period....or it's a no-vote from me!

Actually, I have heard there may be a few exceptions to the rule, but will wait and see what the language says.

In addition, we are only one bad bankruptcy judge away from added domestic codeshare. I hope we never end up in that situation, but never is a long time.

As I recall the UAL/NWA/DAL guys all ended up with much of the RJ flying under duress.

No Codeshare, period....or it's a no-vote from me!

I agree with you. I have the no codeshare sticker on the old brain bag. One problem though. We already have codeshare via SL 32.
Say we vote this down. I would vote no on a contract that I feel is not in the most junior guys interest. We go to mediation. The mediator cannot keep codeshare out of the contract because it is already here.
We need protection and hard limitations on codeshare. Not a 5% growth target. Did not meet the target. Sorry we tried. Weak language in SL 32. Looking forward to seeing the TA if the BOD gets this one to us. To be continued...

Agreed. There really isn't much to discuss yet, but I do think they have good grip on the domestic stuff.
Keeping fingers crossed for whatever they decide in this meeting...

Latest resources

Back