• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA does not lose anything for the AAI raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so what about if you showed up with it already in hand, how are they PFT then?

Let me guess, your of the " I paid for my private, multi, CFI, etc, and thats NOT PFT", but low and behold all of a sudden you need to have a rating to get hired and thats PFT? riiiiiiight. How about a frac requiring 1500PIC in type?

By your definition, everyone is PFT, I'm fine with that. Keeps the riff raff out.

Nope daddy didn't have two dimes to rub together try again, besides he died at a very young age. I see you are still to stupid to understand what PFT is.

Last edited:
So, if the SWA types are so cranky that they're not getting any benefits of the merger, why didn't they just ask for a chunk of cash?

They could have just told GK "hey, you want to make this smooth, right?" and simply used the international sign of moolah by rubbing their thumb and forefingers together.

Sounds like they could have held out for a whole lot more. Betcha some of them wish they had...

Nu

There's a few that had AT pay for it.

But you guys miss the point- and its relevant to the point at hand- SWA wants every employee invested in this place. They want it to be this hard to get the job. They want their highest paid employees to be on the hook for several thousand dollars or a few years sacrificed at another carrier or the military.

So how are AT pilots invested if they get to keep all seniority. And if losing a third of your seniority is unacceptable- how will you reconcile what you can bring to the table vs what swa management has expected for 4 decades to ensure loyalty and that warrior spirit?

Ask any Original Valuejet about the $12000 they had to cough up to get that low, low paying DC 9 gig in the late 1990s. I'm not hating, just pointing out that VJ was PFT by the very definition. Get hired, go to flightsafety with said $12000 and hope you pass. I don't believe a type rating came from that training either. If I am wrong please correct me.

And if losing a third of your seniority is unacceptable- how will you reconcile what you can bring to the table vs what swa management has expected for 4 decades to ensure loyalty and that warrior spirit?

This right here is going to be the linch pin of these negotiations..

Look at it this way, if the AAI guys turned down the latest deal with the SLI list with a DOH-(3-4yrs), were are we headed? We know the money is gone to grease the AAI side. So that leaves them with the same list and less money.

How do the AAI guys invision getting MORE seniority out of the SLI 9 list other than going to arbitration. The money that they could have earned almost immediately has been burned either way.

I think SW and SWAPA this week will be a little more militant than in the past. I believe we will reach a 'take it, or leave it' moment this week for sure. Interesting.

RF

With all of the back and forth that goes on there does not seem to be very much constructive exchange of information.
Based on laws that were passed and the agreements that were signed in each respective carriers CBA's it stands to reason that GK knew that he would have to integrate the pilot groups. Both CBA's required it. There would be one representative voice for that pilot group (SWAPA). All pilots would have to be covered under one CBA.

Maybe GK wants a B scale so that he can explore other avenues with smaller jets (Embraer or CS series)? Maybe he wants to have a B scale so that if he chooses to bring a larger jet on property he can manage costs better. One thing that is a certainty is that SWAPA will be the bargaining agent for all pilots at SWA. Your management works closely with it's employee groups but I am quite certain he does not share ALL his plans with you.

Yes, SWA is starting service into ATL in February and it is about time. As stated in the reports, AT provided 1 penny of every 15 cents that was made for the second quarter. Imagine what that profit would have been had the 737's from AT had been flying to Cancun from Phoenix 5 times a day. That is a huge part of the inbound traffic for SWA customers. Get off a SWA jet in Phoenix and get on another carrier to go to Cancun. Money lost. Why waste a 737 that can fly "Carribbean or Central America" international on a Houston turn. The market is there, it just has to be capitalized upon. The inefficiences of our scheduling department are of biblical proportions. Imagine what the contirbution to the second quarter profit would have been had AT crews been scheduled effectively and efficiently.

AT has pilots on this seniority list with amazing backgrounds and experiences. I come away from each trip with a greater appreciation with the paths that some have taken in this industry. SWA has the exact same kind of pilots. So does Delta, Untited, American, Jet Blue, Allegiant, Comair, American Eagle, PSA..... and so on. They are all human beings with families and friends, trials and tribulations, strengths and weaknesses.

SWA has the requirment to have a 737 type rating. Does not guarantee a job or an interview. Those that got hired at SWA got their type in one way or another.
My understanding is that the profit sharing has been in the $5-10K range????? Maybe if the integrated pilots did not receive their "share" of the profit sharing for a year or two? You can then recoup some of the cost of your type rating that seems to be the big differentiator. Now we can be part of the collective good and have some ownership in the success of SWA.

SL9 is gone. It stapled every pilot hired at AT since September 2005 (over 560 pilots) below the very last pilot on the SWA seniority list as of 9/26/2010. (Hired September 2008). SL9 guaranteed every 737 Captain that was flushed out of ATL would be the absolutely bottom bidding Captain in the SWA bid at every base until the last pilot hired in September 2008 had upgraded (10-12 years).

GK would not have done this deal if it was just going to earn a couple of extra pennies. He has much greater plans for the combined airline. Let the merger committees do their job.

Gk

Thought he was acquiring a group of pilots that would appreciate the deal they were getting just by working for Southwest. Then, he gave them even more with SL9.

He had no idea the cancer he was bringing into his successful airline. This battle will not ensue long. The best way to eliminate cancer is to remove it.

Latest resources

Back