• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA does not lose anything for the AAI raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do you guys at SWAPA think that because we are getting a pay raise that you need to gain something from that?

You are not lossing a dam think from AAI guys getting a pay bump from this merger.

For you to gain something we have to loose something. Big because you are three times the size. Stop picking on the little guys.

Now I know there are issues with retirements, and upgrades. Lets make a deal.

Yes AAI grew faster and have young Captains..... but you guys got paid these last few years at the expense of growth rate. Both sides knew the types of companies we went to work for and the expectations in this business are fleeting. You roll the dice, and the chips fall where they may. You make your choices and thats that. Deserving has got nothing to do with it.

This merger was not to do the pilots any favors. This merger is good for both companies to compete in the market place and survive, and in that respect... that is what Airtran brings to the table. It is why you bought us. This is not a fire sale.

ok, assume for a minute aai bought southwest. then how would you feel about this? would you expect sw pilots to keep our seats, to get a huge raise (assuming you guys ever got a good contract).

there is a reason no swa pilot leaves for aai...

Here is the first shoe to drop.

BY TIMOTHY W. MARTIN

ATLANTA—Southwest Airlines Co. will launch 15 daily flights from Atlanta starting in February, marking the Dallas-based carrier's first foray into the world's busiest airport, Chief Executive Gary Kelly said Monday.

Thank goodness for SL8

Thank you for calling the AirTran Airways Employee Newsline. This is Bob Jordan, AirTran Airways President, on Monday, August 22.

For those of you that normally listen to Gary’s Newsline as well, he is in Atlanta today participating in the Metro Atlanta Chamber’s “Insights on Leadership” series. I don’t want to spoil any surprises, but I think Gary might have a bit of news to share later today. I know he’s going to record a special Newsline this afternoon, probably sometime after 2 p.m. Central Daylight Time, with an update, so I encourage you to call back and listen for updates then. And I’m going to keep my Newsline short today, knowing that Gary will have some good updates for you a little later on.

Today, I want to focus primarily on the news last Thursday that the AirTran ALPA Master Executive Council (MEC), which represents our Pilots, voted to reject the Seniority List Integration Agreement. I’m very disappointed in the vote, especially since that means that neither the Southwest, nor the AirTran Pilots, will have the ability to vote and therefore have a say in the process. I do want to extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone that worked tirelessly to reach a proposed Agreement; especially the negotiating committees for both SWAPA and ALPA. The process was a difficult one, but one that led to a proposed Agreement that included Seniority List Integration and a generous economic offer from Southwest that facilitated the Seniority List Integration. And while some did not like it, it provided benefits for everybody which was the goal from the outset. Having failed to reach a negotiated Integrated Seniority List, the Process Agreement provides for Mediation as the next step and ultimately if needed, Binding Arbitration. The Agreement also provides that the Company will not participate in the Mediation process unless requested by either Merger Committee. And based on the economic realities we’re facing, it is Southwest’s current intent not to participate in any Mediation session until it has had time to reevaluate our current plans in light of economic realities.

As y’all know this is an extraordinarily tough business, one whose fortune’s can change very quickly. If you remember just last fall it appeared the economic recovery was taking hold and fuel prices were settling in at high but stable levels and just contrast that to today, I know you’ve all seen the just absolute parade of weak economic news the past 60 days. Fuel prices are up 40 percent, 4-0, compared to last year. And just earlier this month, Southwest reported consolidated second quarter results that included earnings down almost 50 percent compared to a year ago.

Those realities are affecting our business and our integration plans, and they just can’t be ignored. That said, we cannot let this setback destroy the positive momentum that we have all gained throughout the integration process. Or, cause us to lose our optimism for the future. I also want to remind you that we are all entitled to our own viewpoints, and even though we might disagree on certain topics at times, we must always be professional and respectful and practice the Golden Rule, which is to treat each other as you would wish to be treated. So let’s all keep our heads up, let’s focus our attention on moving forward with the best of intentions and attitudes, because I still believe we have a lot to look forward to.

BY TIMOTHY W. MARTIN

ATLANTA—Southwest Airlines Co. will launch 15 daily flights from Atlanta starting in February, marking the Dallas-based carrier's first foray into the world's busiest airport, Chief Executive Gary Kelly said Monday.

Man, they sure threw that plan together in a hurry. I can't imagine putting this together in 4 days since last Thurs.

BY TIMOTHY W. MARTIN

Probably not the shoe you think it is . . . . .

BY TIMOTHY W. MARTIN

It is SWA crews that will be doing it.

Latest resources

Back