Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Britpilot

Gear Lifter
On May 2,a SWAPA vote on three constitutional amendments closed. For those of you not aware,one of these proposals dealt with SWAPA’s ability to represent a second pilot group,with the addition of a transitional member structure. Transitional members would be those of us on the AirTran side of the partition represented by SWAPA. The proposed changes would allow the SWAPA executive officers to govern transitional members under a separate,temporary constitution and bylaws. Transitional members would have no rights under the SWAPA constitution and bylaws except the right to vote for the SWAPA executive officers.

However,the vote for the constitutional change received less than the two-thirds majority required for approval. While the results of this vote may cause angst or frustration for some of you,we ask you to understand that it is just another step in the process. We have a meeting setup in June to continue to discuss representational issues with SWAPA. In addition,we continue to have an open dialogue with SWAPA on other issues. When we have more information to pass on we will.

Was this due to our compassionate seniority list brothers not wanting us to be cast in some redheaded stepchild, pseudo union, or because they don't want anything to do with us...at all? I know what I suspect, but I'd like to hear the SWA side of the story. What say ye, red-bellied folk?

It's interesting, in that the Seniority Integration Agreement that SWAPA pilots ratified with the AirTran pilots says they will pursue, without delay, a Single Carrier filing with the NMB after SOC...

Wondering what the thought process of the average line pilot who voted against it is myself, don't quite get it, wouldn't you WANT your union to control what your alter-ego lower-cost division negotiates with Southwest management?

It's interesting, in that the Seniority Integration Agreement that SWAPA pilots ratified with the AirTran pilots says they will pursue, without delay, a Single Carrier filing with the NMB after SOC...

Wondering what the thought process of the average line pilot who voted against it is myself, don't quite get it, wouldn't you WANT your union to control what your alter-ego lower-cost division negotiates with Southwest management?

Section 6 should be very interesting for those guys. If I were Mr. Kelly after looking at the balance sheet at how much cheaper we are to operate I would be wondering what kind of bone he can throw SWAPA to operate us separately.

Mexico City starts tomorrow, right?

Mexico City starts tomorrow, right?

May 24th it starts. 5 May would have been way more festive. Not surprised the membership turned it down. Right now they probably don't see an upside. Believe it or not alot of the SWA guys I run into commuting have not a clue or care about the transition schedule. The most informed SWA guys are right here on FI as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't look into this so much as SWA pilots voting with AAI in mind. In my opinion SWA pilots are just tired of being poked with a stick, and basically said leave us the ******************** alone. If you are an AAI pilot and think this was about you. Sorry dudes, many SWA pilots already believe that there is language available in our constitution that was set up to represent the ground instructors that would cover you all. As for not being wanted. Life in unions and associations has a way to wander around and go sideways till something big brings the group together. A constitution vote is not it.

I believe this is a little bit more than just an internal issue--since some Air Tran guys are scratching their head. Speaking for me, personally, I voted against the proposal. I will be the first to welcome any new SWA pilot (whether Air Tran, new hire or internal). I don't care--welcome new brothers and sisters. However, I felt having "transitional" members with different privileges, voting rights, etc was not the way to guy. 100% SWA or not. Keep it simple--get all the Air Tran folks over and continue operating our union the way we have in the past.

In my opinion SWA pilots are just tired of being poked with a stick, and basically said leave us the ******************** alone.

Huh? I'm sure it's pretty rough over there.?????? I'm sure glad it's so easy for us on the AirTran side.

Latest resources

Back