• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Comments about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has the ATL base been announced? When will that happen?

IMHO, Delta wouldn't agree to take 88 airplanes from their (now) largest competitor; while all the while Airbus keeps knocking on the door with a better deal. UNLESS, part of the agreement (the 'handshake' part) involves SWA agreeing to 'downsize' the ATL. Oh, keep some movement through the city (less than 15 RON), keep some close-in international, but no real presence to hamper the Widget. Now the 717's look like a better deal. Politics and business rule the day. The non-base announcement will come next year, after tempers cool.

Atlanta will not be a base, not for a very long time.

IMHO, Delta wouldn't agree to take 88 airplanes from their (now) largest competitor; while all the while Airbus keeps knocking on the door with a better deal. UNLESS, part of the agreement (the 'handshake' part) involves SWA agreeing to 'downsize' the ATL. Oh, keep some movement through the city (less than 15 RON), keep some close-in international, but no real presence to hamper the Widget. Now the 717's look like a better deal. Politics and business rule the day. The non-base announcement will come next year, after tempers cool.

Atlanta will not be a base, not for a very long time.

I also agree with that possibility as well. But I think there is too much going on and alot that could change. We will just have to see. SWA has to convert all the 717 gates to 737 gates. I dont know what that footprint looks like or how many daily flights it translates into. Since it is obviously less gate space based on wing span, I draw the conclusion that the future of ATL for SWA is a smaller domicile than what we have now. Could it mean no Domicile, maybe.

I still think ATL will be a domicle. Reading CM's new message today, he seems to telegraph that move. Maybe too much reading between the lines? Possibly.

I just read Chucks letter as well, it comes of just like every other letter he has published which essentially said "we are concerned that you are concerned, but you signed a contract so suck it up fatty".

I read the letter and it sounded like the company knows the AAI guys are getting their cheese moved and knows the ATL domicile is important to the folks at AAI...

1- So you thought you could do better than a 28% pay increase without SW? Seriously?

You're looking at a single longevity step in a single seat when you come up with that number. The actual increase to pilot payroll was not 28%. It was about 20%. Prior to the merger announcement, we were expecting something in the range of 25-30%, which was still less than what many pilots were demanding. Accepting a mere 20% increase to pilot payroll was a concession on the part of this pilot group because our leverage was pulled out from under us when that announcement was made. The NMB had been putting pressure on management, but they immediately pulled back when the merger was announced. They didn't want to get in the middle of a billion dollar transaction.

2- I know more about your negotiations than you may think.

You really don't.

I read the letter and it sounded like the company knows the AAI guys are getting their cheese moved and knows the ATL domicile is important to the folks at AAI...
Reading between the lines, the letter is managing expectations, both for WHAT they plan to do to ease the damage done by the early departure of the 717 (ATL base) and WHEN we can expect to hear more about it.

It also is saying that they still are waiting on the Delta T.A. vote to determine how they will do the training flow. Again, it's pretty clear they want to close MKE first and MCO shortly thereafter, having SWA doing the vast majority of that flying. Chuckles sent a blast email from the last MCO meeting last week saying that our manager of scheduling said we will be down to 5 Originating flights per day out of MCO by the Fall. You can't support a base with that.

Basically it was a letter that said, "Standby, we won't be able to figure out the whole puzzle and get the new plan to you until after the Delta T.A. vote, and after we work with ALPA to find a new way to implement the transition, since there is no way to bring people over except by the flush bid which requires them to go to SWA 717 which won't exist, and the only bone we are considering throwing you in all this is the ATL domicile which we won't do until fleet planning says it needs to happen".

A system re-bid may be required and, if it is, the inviolability clause for the rest of the agreement allows them to change that without changing the rest of the SIA. The question is, what will AAI ALPA convince SWA to give up in exchange for changing that provision of the SIA? That's the only leverage we have, unless we want to push harder, which might make them re-think the furlough lever they can pull.

Tricky stuff.

Two things dicko,

1- So you thought you could do better than a 28% pay increase without SW? Seriously?

2- I know more about your negotiations than you may think. How many sections were open? Which ones were they?

That completely disappeared when SW made the announcement.

Red,

As I said before; if you believe that you have nothing to learn about something that you weren't anywhere near, there is no point in discussing it.

Now, pop next door and tell your neighbor where he went wrong when he was courting his second girlfriend in 1992. He'll appreciate your insights.

Latest resources

Back