• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA/ATN process agreement update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You may be right but the 1700 dues paying Trannies have a voice in their future as well. So far it appears the "silent majority" haven't spoken.......... or don't exist.

If it's a fair deal then let's get it done. If it's going to be drama and lawyers then let's hunker down and take our time. My personal vote is fair and expedient.

Gup

You may be right but the 1700 dues paying Trannies have a voice in their future as well. So far it appears the "silent majority" haven't spoken.......... or don't exist.

If it's a fair deal then let's get it done. If it's going to be drama and lawyers then let's hunker down and take our time. My personal vote is fair and expedient.

Gup

You guys are confusing us.

We've been constantly brow beaten into thinking that your goal is to never pay us magic SWAPA dollars. The transition agreement and the interview with your NC Chair emphasize one thing; SWAPA representing AirTran pilots, if it ever happens, will be years away.

Now you're concerned about our speedy remuneration ?

Last edited:
Dicko,

You call that brow beating? Do you sunburn easily too?

I am in an interesting spot. Three lifelong friends are at both carrier - two at AT and one at SWA. None of them have any ill-will toward the other group and hope for the best for everyone. With that said, even the AT guys have some significant reservations about their union guys. Not bad stuff but enough concern to not take everything they say seriously. They do like their lead merger negotiator though. The SWA guy says he doesn't concern himself with much of it and feels SWAPA is doing a great job and need little input from him for them to do their job well.

It seems to me from talking to my tranny pals that they are all sensitive and suffer from PTSD. They react emotionally to everything and run around half-cocked all the time. I can understand why they are this way considering their management and constantly having to convince everyone (even their OWN company) that they are worthy.

Hang in there as it appears you future looks better as long as your management isn't a part of it and SWA's is.

You guys are confusing us.

We've been constantly brow beaten into thinking that your goal is to never pay us magic SWAPA dollars. The transition agreement and the interview with your NC Chair emphasize one thing; SWAPA representing AirTran pilots, if it ever happens, will be years away.

Now you're concerned about our speedy remuneration ?

dicko,

That is not the point of side letter eight and you need to re - read the chairman's comments.

To wit: SWAPA is simply protecting SWA pilots, and it takes more than Date of Corporate Closure to be SWA pilots.

Last edited:
Dicko,

You call that brow beating? Do you sunburn easily too?

Yes I do burn easily. My hair is the same color as this text and tightly curled like velcro. It's the devils hair.

I am in an interesting spot. Three lifelong friends are at both carrier - two at AT and one at SWA. None of them have any ill-will toward the other group and hope for the best for everyone. With that said, even the AT guys have some significant reservations about their union guys. Not bad stuff but enough concern to not take everything they say seriously. They do like their lead merger negotiator though. The SWA guy says he doesn't concern himself with much of it and feels SWAPA is doing a great job and need little input from him for them to do their job well.

The comments regarding your friends at AirTran are spot on. This is how the vast majority feel. I think.

It seems to me from talking to my tranny pals that they are all sensitive and suffer from PTSD. They react emotionally to everything and run around half-cocked all the time. I can understand why they are this way considering their management and constantly having to convince everyone (even their OWN company) that they are worthy.

Hang in there as it appears you future looks better as long as your management isn't a part of it and SWA's is.

Your post is an excellent characterization of the situation. Perhaps SWAPA's message is misunderstood. It does seem pretty clear to us though.

Cheers

dicko,

The message is very simple:

SWAPA protects SWA pilots.
The benefits of the SWAPA CBA applies to SWA pilots.
SWA pilots enjoy protections even beyond their CBA based on a relationship with management.

To elaborate:
With a fair and equitable ISL there will no longer be AirTran pilots and these benefits apply to us all.

I understand that ALPA has told you that you have these goodies at DOCC, but, through SL8, our management has told you otherwise. Who do you believe?

The most expeditious path to our seniority list is a negotiated one. Your lawyers make a lot more money if it goes to arbitration though, so I predict we'll get the same SLI, but significantly later than we would have through negotiations at a cost of 10 million a month in wages to the AirTran pilots.

In my conversations with other southwest pilots I have found that we are just as kept in the dark about the process as anyone else. Any inside info is just chest thumping speculation. Whatever happens to all of us it is more complicated than buying your first house, buying a car, adopting a child and getting a divorce at the same time. Now at SWA there are those who have and sill have legal experience with their 201k or 101k but otherwise I feel for the Airtran group that is reasonable and just in the dark. Cheers

I understand that ALPA has told you that you have these goodies at DOCC,

Nobody at ALPA has ever said anything of the sort. Ever. The question has been asked to numerous reps. Including the MC. They have never said DOCC. They have all said a year and a half to two years. Best case.

I'm no fan of ALPA but what you just stated is a complete untruth.

Nobody at ALPA has ever said anything of the sort. Ever. The question has been asked to numerous reps. Including the MC. They have never said DOCC.

Good. Interestingly that doesn't line up with opinions I've seen stated here, on other forums and in personal conversations.

They have all said a year and a half to two years. Best case.

No, best case is significantly sooner.

I'm no fan of ALPA but what you just stated is a complete untruth.

You seem very sure, and certainly you would know, the preponderance on my interaction being anecdotal. You also completely dodged my main point.

Good. Interestingly that doesn't line up with opinions I've seen stated here, on other forums and in personal conversations.
I don't remember hearing anyone on here say that we get "the Southwest goodies" at DOCC. Initially, we were hoping that was the case, but it was very quickly made clear (early Dec I think) that it would likely not be until the SLI was done and integration (cross-training) started for our pilots.

Hope you're right about "significantly sooner", but planning for a lengthier process.

Latest resources

Back