• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ivauir

SNIKT!
Executive Blog - March 10, 2011
From your president, Steve Chase

Good Afternoon SWAPA Pilots,

I want to give you a quick update after a busy week at the SWAPA offices. Your Negotiating Committee is preparing to meet with the Company in Dallas next week as well as scheduled meetings in Washington D.C. with our legal counsel. As more information becomes available we will be sure to pass it along.

Last week ALPA and SWAPA jointly announced we had reached consensus and had drafted a mutually beneficial Process Agreement for the SLI talks going forward, which we gladly did. However, late yesterday through an ALPA Communication to their membership, SWAPA learned that ALPA’s Legal Counsel is now expressing “concerns” over portions of the language inserted within the Process Agreement. Ironically, the very language for which ALPA is now expressing concern is the same language that they themselves inserted within the Process Agreement back in December.

As a result, a Process Agreement has not been finalized, further extending a long and cumbersome progression of combining the two pilot groups. That being said, your Negotiating Committee maintains its willingness to negotiate with ALPA in good faith to finalize a Process Agreement that will control the structure and timeline of the SLI talks going forward.

Throughout this process, I am appreciative of your support and your personal restraint. This truly is a marathon and we are months away from much to report. When we have more information to pass along, we will.

Finally, I am sure you have all seen the news that the Company has started to take applications for First Officer positions. If you have anyone in mind that you think would make a good addition to our pilot group please send them to the following link to get their name in the hat. Applications are being accepted until the end of the day on March 23.

SWA Pilot Application

Fly Safe,

Steve

Whatever the final SLI agreement looks like, I'll bet ALPA drags this out as long as they can. They're not the group gaining new members/dues, are they?

Whatever the final SLI agreement looks like, I'll bet ALPA drags this out as long as they can. They're not the group gaining new members/dues, are they?

That would go over well during ALPA recruitment drives at Jet Blue and SkyWest. We have 1700 pilots at AirTran, I think ALPA will still be able to pay the light bill in Herndon when we're gone.

From APC:

This truly should be the easiest part of this process! And its now taken nearly 6 months...and ALPA still can't nail down their own language.

Apparently, language which they inserted months ago is just now not passing the smell test for their attorneys.

If the ALPA Merger Committee can't handle the task of negotiating, maybe they should just send their attorneys to talk with our SWAPA NC.

I can only imagine how the actual process of negotiating SLI is going to get drawn out. Even with a process agreement, it seems ALPA will find ways to stretch the timeline.

Oh well...its only costing the AT pilots thousands for each month ALPA stalls this process. Heck, they may be lucky if it only costs them thousands!

From APC:

Oh well...its only costing the AT pilots thousands for each month ALPA stalls this process. Heck, they may be lucky if it only costs them thousands!

Getting screwed over after the fact by rushing and signing something before it is vetted could potentially cost us more.

Sorry, but the used car salesman high pressure sales job doesn't seem to be working on our lawyers.

From APC:

I thought that you didn't want to pay us the money ?

SWAPA recruitment of AirTran pilots: Like having a guy with a carving knife chasing you. He's yelling " I want you to join our club. Just give us your wife and the last ten years of your life. We'll pay you big money"

You wouldn't be trying to destroy a deal your CEO is trying to make. Would you ?

:)

Last edited:
Getting screwed over after the fact by rushing and signing something before it is vetted could potentially cost us more.

Sorry, but the used car salesman high pressure sales job doesn't seem to be working on our lawyers.

Your lawyers are doing what lawyers do well. Bill a bunch of hours looking into worthless garbage and lining their own pockets.

Classic lawyers :" I think we really need to look into this part it could be really important"

Bill more hours. Bill more hours. Bill more hours. Get it?

Latest resources

Back