SWAPA and SR361

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IMHO

It has been said that quality of life will be lower with retirement age raised to 65....sure, quality of life would be great if we retired at 55 or even 50, but why force everyone to retire so early when many pilots may want to continue to fly. I say, if you want to retire at an earlier age, by all means go right ahead and do so...it's your choice. No one should be forced to retire at 60 if they're fit enough to pass their physicals/checkrides and they'd like to continue flying. Let's do what's fair and raise the standard.

I'm retiring!

Holy Smoke! What a debate.......

Who in their right mind would want to WORK an extra 5 years?:eek:

I DO believe pilot's should be able to choose when to retire but co'mon. The SWA "clan" that is squawking the loudest about working more for their managers must be drinking the "canyon-blue" kool-aid again. I even saw two SWA Captain's on CNN petitioning D.C. Congressmen to sign for this ridiculous bill and was QUOTED to say," Just when I'm getting GOOD at my job the Federal Government forces ME to retire".

What a LAUGH!!! :p I don't know how long it takes someone to "get good" at flying a 737 from DAL to LUB???

These guys were an embarrassment to their fellow guppy drivers......

For me, I'm retiring early so I can my grandkids around the farm in my Citabria!!!

You guys go right ahead and work yourselfs to death!!!:rolleyes:

Adios!!

Re: I'm retiring!

SpeedRacer said:

I DO believe pilot's should be able to choose when to retire but co'mon.

That's the point - it's about the right to choose when one wants to retire. Whether it be 55 - 60 or 65! Give me the choice! Don't dictate and then make up reasons why.

"oppsahh" asked: How is it descrimination to make someone retire at 60 but all of a sudden it is no longer descrimination if you let them continue to fly until 65 but then make them retire.

He's right, it still is discrimination (spelled with an "i"), but giving guys another 5 years to make their choice is a step in the right direction.

The issue is CHOICE

Inhot,

The choice to fly beyond 60 is available. Under FAR 135 and FAR 91, one can fly untill they can no longer hold a medical. The fractionals all operate here and offer a great long term, or supplemental career. As do corporate flight departments. You chose a FAR 121 career, knowing of this limitation.

Speedracer,

Again, fortunately today, the stronger unions are ALPA and APA. I understand that ALPA is fighting this with some success. Those who want to do more can register their opposition with Feinstein's political office at (202) 224-3841. The call took me only a couple minutes, tops. They are very familiar with S.361 and only need your name and zip code.

spinup said:
Inhot,

The choice to fly beyond 60 is available. Under FAR 135 and FAR 91, one can fly untill they can no longer hold a medical. The fractionals all operate here and offer a great long term, or supplemental career. As do corporate flight departments. You chose a FAR 121 career, knowing of this limitation.

That's right, I chose 121... and I chose to lobby to change this rule just as I (in my opinion) should be able to choose when I want to retire.

Once again; the issue is CHOICE

Yikes!! You can be dumber than owl poop, but when you find that Diane Feinstein is attached to anything it has to be wrong.

You got that right. She supports S.361 because in her words there is a "pilot shortage". Unbelievable!!!

About Choice?

Come on folks, if this was truely about choice, then you would actually see support from pilots that work at airlines with retirement plans.

If you made a choice to work for an airline that has no retirement plan (yes, aside from a 401k), then you used your freedom of choice.

Step up to the plate and admit what this is all about.

See

To clarify......

I'm emailing my congressman to vote NO to this bill.

Choice is great BUT I refuse to agree to ANYTHING Diane Feinstein (from the great state of CA) has her signature on!!:p

Not to mention senoirty would get all screwed up along with retirements, hiring, yadda, yadda, yadda........

Hey, I wonder if SWAPA would be pushing for this IF they had a traditional retirement??? :eek:

I believe the resolution gives the option to the individual pilot: you can either retire at Age 60 as before with no tax penalties or you can continue to work as a part 121 carrier. That is choice.
I hear, "Go to work for a carrier with a retirement plan other than a 401K" - well, all of those are still furloughing.
I hear, "Go fly for a Fractional" (which invalidates the Age 60 rule being about safety...) knowing full well that would going from a Southwest captain (or regional captain) to a fractional F.O. would be a 75% pay cut - wholly unrealistic.
I asked earlier, and I will ask again, is this a severe down cycle and things will come back to normal, or is this a revolutionary change where management plays one regional off against another all the while constantly downsizing the majors in favor of large RJ's and overseas codeshares?

Latest resources

Back