SWAPA and SR361

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NYRANGERS

I came across a message from the SWAPA in support of SR361 to raise the retirement age to 65.

Just wondering if you guys "in the Know" over at SouthWest know anything about this? I don't think this would be good for anyone in the pool....

"I don't think this would be good for anyone in the pool...."

Five years of no retirements (or drastically reduced).......

That wouldn't be good for anybody in any pool, or furloughed, or waiting to get to an airline, etc. etc.

You guys are right! It is definately something all furloughed pilots and pilots in the pool need to be concerned about. I posted the proposed bill under extending age 60 thread if you care to read it. They are attaching this ammendmant to a homeland security bill and are due to vote on it soon. I called the senators office and they are saying they have not been getting to much opposition from pilots about it, so it could pass unless more people are opposed to it.

As some may know there is a debate on Capital Hill about extending the age 60 rule to 65. This will prolong the recall of furloughed pilots at many major airlines. I hope you will look up your senator on the following link, and advise your senator by phone, mail or e-mail that you are against this Amendmant SR361 and to vote No.

http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cfm

I have allready e-mailed and called my senators urging them to vote NO on 361. I was just curious as to why the SW pilots union is supporting this resolution when most others oppose it?

I urge anyone opposed to this to call their state senators offices in DC. It is very easy and quick.

Eliminating discrimination

I will not speak for SWAPA or SWA pilots but the majority of SWA pilots I fly with do indeed support the passage of SR361 & our union does also.

To answer why SWAPA supports the passage, the answer is quite simple, the majority of members are against discrimination of any kind; sex (we have only a few who don't support sex), race, religion & age. Do I have the polling data to support that? No, just ancedotal info & words from the union the majority of the membership are in support of the ammendment.

As to why SWAPA is out of sync with ALPA, APA & other pilot unions who support continuing this form of discrimination, again I think (IMHO) the pilots aren't terribly beholding to organizations that perpetutate this type of discrimination. While we support other like causes (safety issues, guns in the cockpit), SWA pilots have never felt obligated to follow blindly the rantings of an organization that has perpetuated the current system of senior pilots stepping on the backs of younger pilots.

Now I know I will be beaten severely around the neck for my opinion but for those who have read my posts in the past I believe regular readers will know I have tried to help as many folks as possible to get hired at SWA & encouraged those searching for jobs elsewhere also.

I know many fine ALPA pilots & consider them my friends. But I will also say they are the first to sling barbs at SWA for not DEMANDING higher wages in order to allow "all pilots" to receive higher wages. In other words we're holding down the industry.

What have exorbitant wages helped (& many other factors) generate at other carriers? Laid off pilots and a financial crisis. So which group, SWAPA or ALPA has done more for its junior pilots to keep them employed? Which group took reduced pay increases in '94 & took risky stock options in lieu of hard pay to allow over 2000 pilots to be hired? What if they had demanded higher wages in '94? How many pilots at SWA might not be hired now & how many fewer Capts (less money on the table) would we have if they had DEMANDED ILP then?

Has SWA (& the pilots) forced other airlines to change their business model? Yes & no. Do those have consequences on the continued employment of pilots? Yes. Am I as a SWA pilot responsible for the bad business decisions other airlines & their unions have made to allow their jobs to be in jeorpardy? I don't think so. I have enough guilt generated by my wife & kids without having to take on that also. But the rants from other carriers will continue. I'm not here to start a fight but merely to explain why SWAPA pilots don't feel particularly beholding to other companies & unions that have done their best to put us (& their other competitors) out of business.

I have friends in the pool right now & there is nothing I would like to do more than to get them in training ASAP. But that will occur when the company can afford to hire (hopefully soon but probably not before early '03 according to folks). If that makes me the scurge of the poolies then my apologies in advance. SWA's hiring has never been based upon retirements (we don't go over 100 retirements until '04), its been based upon growth, which we will continue to do even during these bleak economic times. We hired over 250 pilots last year with around 50 retirements. We'll be hiring again well before others do also.

Yes some of you are unemployed right now & times are tough but wouldn't you want the opportunity to make that up by having the ability (if you so choose) to work beyond age 60? (Please don't respond that "if you demanded more & got paid more you wouldn't have to work beyond age 60!!"...I bet there are lot of UAL, AAL, DAL pilots now hoping they can recoup some of their 401K losses & fly past 60).

You will be at the highest income portion of your flying career & to have that taken away merely because in the 50's the CEO for American Airlines wanted to get rid of his disgruntled senior pilots & had his bud in the US gov. institute the Age 60 rule for the sole benefit of ridding his company of these unhappy pilots smacks to me of unwarranted age discrimination.

I have thought whether these comments would be appropriate for here or not but I wanted folks who were considering SWA to know what many pilots in the company (I'm just one though) feel about this issue. I can't & won't speak for the majority for we have a very diverse group. Other SWA pilots do & will have different opinions. We can agree to disagree.

I wish everyone well but continuing discrimination merely so others can benefit reminds me too much of affirmiative action which I'm a definite opponent.

Awaiting the firestorm!!

Great reply chase! Your a great man to come out and say these things. I've wanted to pipe in on this issue as well, but felt I'd get slammed if I did (chicken). Everything you said is correct, I couldn't have said it better!

I don't think retirements at SWA dictate when one leaves the pool like you said, however, if it did I'd wait. This age 60 rule stinks of discrimination which really erks me!

RJ #24 on the SWA Flightinfo pool

If a guy wants to fly past 60, more power to him. I've flown with three very sharp 59 year olds this year and it will be a shame to see them go. Frankly, I'm going to miss the stories!

Me? I plan on being done by age 55.

Thanks for the information. I sent emails today to both of my state senators informing them that I am IN FAVOR of extending the age to 65. Not all of us have those nice cushy pensions of the majors, nor can we expect one at the regional level. I know, I know, apply to the majors and get one, right?. Too late for me, mid-50s ya know. Plus I'm content where I am at.

Talk about greed ! All you junior major pilots really want is even more retirement income. If you're concerned about working to 65 then quit at 50, 55, 60 ! It would be your choice see? Don't discriminate against me because I want to fly past 60!

I appreciate all of your different opinions, and find them very thought provoking. We all need a good debate to keep our minds off of all this pool water. You have made me re-think my original position on this subject. I have one question for those who feel that the mandatory retirement of age 60 is discrimination. How would changing the mandatory retirement age to 65 eliminate discrimination? Wouldn’t it still be discrimination, just delaying it 5 years? Just a thought to keep the debate honest and on going.

Keep the faith fellow poolies.

SR361

Chase,

As an outsider looking in, I've read many of your post and think highly of your opinions and appreciate your insight. However, I feel obligated to respond to a couple of your comments:

You say SWA's hiring has never been based upon retirements, it's been based upon growth. That may have been in the past (as many of the "original" people may not have reached retirement age yet). But do you really believe that this will be the case in the future? As the posts on this board seem to indicate, growth (read expansion) in the near future seems to be out of the question. What will open up any jobs in the near future? It would have to be retirements. As a SWA hopeful, with the lack of talk of expansion (more aircraft/routes), retirements seem to be the only way to get into the company.

You say "you are unemployed right now & times are tough but wouldn't you want the opportunity.....to work beyond age 60?" I say, "no." I would hope that any airline Capt that's been working for the past 15,20,25 years or so was not banking on the the mandatory retirement age increasing to 65. On the other hand, I don't think that there's too many guys in their mid 30's to early 40's that thought that they would be out of work for the foreseeable future and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I sure hope that I'm not banking on having some bill pass to "allow" me to work to age 65. If and when I get hired, I'll go into the job with the understanding that I can do it until I'm 60 and (hopefully) will plan around that. I think that would be easier to manage than being out of work while I'm in my 30's.

Now I'm awaiting the firestorm!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back